“Great place to stay, especially off season”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Ocean Grove B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We went in February, so it's likely a very different experience during the summer, but the place is cozy and inviting and warm! The continental breakfast is typical, but what makes it special is that it gets brought out, so you feel taken care of. It is perfect for a weekend getaway.
Our room was small, but comfortable. The water pressure in the bathroom was good and it was clean.
In terms of noise level, the floors are audible as are people's voices from other rooms, so FYI if you're noise sensitive like I am. The owner was very pleasant with us. Great location, of course, and everything important is within walking distance. If you're here I highly recommend visiting the Silverball Museum at Asbury Park (about a 15 walk away on the boardwalk). It is a blast from the past! Nice restaurants in the area too!

Room Tip: They do have rooms on the upper levels that might be more quiet and within budget as well
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katd234

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We were able to book a last-minute getaway here for one night in January. We were welcomed by Valerie who was very friendly and hospitable, and she offered several suggestions for dinner and a night out. Our beautiful king room included a four-poster bed, a sitting area, ocean view balcony and a Jacuzzi bath, plus a handy kitchenette. On the top floor is the Widow's Walk where you can enjoy a sun-filled sitting area with views of the town and ocean. Great for a morning cup of coffee or afternoon snack! The breakfast offerings were fresh and filling and Valerie was kind enough to offer to bring coffee up to our room when I told her we were having coffee there. We also like the fact that the main lobby/foyer area was more modern than most B&Bs, with a "Front Gate/Crate and Barrel" type of feel. This is located on Main Ave. in Ocean Grove so you have less than a minute's walk to the shops and restaurants. We will DEFINITELTY BE BACK!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We needed a weekend away from Christmasing, when what to my wondering eyes should appear but a Groupon for a discounted stay in a hotel in Ocean Grove, NJ. Having vacationed in Ocean Grove one summer, I knew the quirky place and realized this was just the town we needed. The Majestic Hotel is a lovely old Victorian B & B on Main Avenue, just steps from the boardwalk and with views of the ocean from virtually every window. The weather had turned cold, so we crossed over the wraparound porch into the inviting parlor, where a gas fire was burning in the small fireplace and the innkeeper was waiting for us. Our room was comfortable and cozy and all the necessities were provided. We expected that most of the restaurants would be closed down for the winter, so the small kitchenette was a nice addition. For breakfast, we had made our selections from the somewhat limited menu the evening before and everything was promptly and pleasantly served at our small table in the little morning room downstairs. The service was very friendly and we benefited from the suggestions for a dinner out (Sea Grass Restaurant-highly recommended by everyone we met and the food was better than delicious!) and recommendations for things to see in the area.The hotel and the whole town were beautifully decorated for the season and the main street was surprisingly busy on Sunday. It was a sweet way to spend the weekend before Christmas and I would gladly return next year.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We love the Majestic! We chose it as the venue for our rehearsal dinner, for our wedding guests to stay here for the weekend, for our day after the wedding brunch and where we stayed for our mini-moon and it was an excellent choice. Lots of our guests commented on how much they loved Ocean Grove and The Majestic. It is a gorgeous, charming B&B a block from the beach. The rooms are very elegant and the place is really charming. Jim, the manager, and Valerie, the owner, were really accommodating and easy to work with and helped us to create a personalized menu for our rehearsal dinner and brunch. We had about 55 guests and did a cocktail hour beforehand in the lobby and front porch which everyone loved. The pricing is very reasonable, and my husband's parents were thrilled with how much we got for the money they gave us to spend on the event. I gave Valerie decorations for the rehearsal dinner and brunch and she put them out and the place looked great. The staff was very helpful and everyone had a great time. The place is a BYOB which really made it very economical for us for our rehearsal dinner and Valerie and her staff went above and beyond for us. We ran out of red wine within the first hour (everyone told us people would drink more beer!) and Valerie's husband ran out and bought more for us so we didn't have to leave to take care of it. I messed up the time of the brunch the day after our wedding and called Valerie the morning of the brunch at 8 am to tell her the time needed to be moved to 11 am instead of 12 pm and she called everyone into work early and had everything ready on time. Amazing! And we spent 3 nights after our wedding in room #8 for our mini-moon and it was so wonderful. Valerie brought us breakfast to our room everyday and we ate it on our own little balcony. We loved the room and the jacuzzi was great. The Majestic also blocked off the entire hotel for our wedding weekend up until one month before so our guests would have the first shot at making a reservation for our wedding and gave our guests a discount. We definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a rehearsal dinner/day after brunch venue or any other similar event as well as just a nice vacation.

Room Tip: We had room #8 and loved it, there was a balcony and a jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed at the Majestic on a busy July weekend. The location is very nice- on the main street and on the ocean block. The place was kept up pretty well. Overall, it was nice but we wouldn't stay there again. The service was not very friendly at all, for starters. Also, a manager or owner had taken up one of the public seating areas and made it her own personal office space - laptop, papers everywhere - pretty tacky. The original rooms in the front looked spacious, with some nice views, but fair warning, all the lobby noise travels right up the stairs and probably to the rooms. We stayed in the newer, added-on rooms in the back. These back rooms were very quiet and the bathroom was new and nice. The queen bed was fluffy and comfortable. But they were extremely small, just barely a bed, dresser and one wood chair fit. Your only choice was to sit on the bed. Basically, only a place to sleep. Our gripes: the wall air conditioner was broken and substituted with a window unit. This wall unit had a large broken panel dangling from it, covered with dirt and mold, which ran down the wall to the floor. Since you only had one seating space - the bed - that yucky thing was constantly in your view. We asked the front desk to clean it up and fix it but they just swiped it - didn't help at all. We finally stuffed the panel with a bunch of washcloths so we wouldn't have to look at it anymore. The wireless does not work in the back rooms - we had to keep going downstairs to the lobby. On our second day, we left for the morning and came back and discovered we were missing one of our keys. We searched high and low, in the car, etc. because we didn't want to get charged for a lost key and key ring. When we told the desk the next morning at checkout, she looked, said she had it, and that the maid must of thought we checked out yesterday so she took it. Really?? We didn't want to take our clothes and luggage with us? Also, the breakfast was nothing special and often ran low before being stocked up again. I know this is a hotel with it's own public restaurant, but during the day, there wasn't a single refreshment or snack out for guests - no water, coffee, an apple, a cookie, nothing. So if you're looking for that nice B&B experience, this is not the place for you. We stay in Ocean Grove every year, trying out new places to stay, and I have to say, while this place was nice in some aspects, for the price, small room, and not-so-friendly service, I would choose another place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Traveller12251213
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

I thought the place was decent until I lost all power to the room and my air conditioner went out! I couldn't charge my iphone either on this steamy night and I started to panic. I picked up the hotel phone and I got the AT&T operator! Not a hotel lobby. I had to google the hotel to get a number to call lobby to ask why the power was lost! I awoke a woman who arrived at my door at 2AM and the power miraculously went on as she knocked. I.e. the air conditioner-
Brutal.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Pmzboston
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We were in search of a quiet, casual, calm, no-energy required, quick getaway to get some rest and respite after my dad passed away a few weeks ago; the last few months were emotional, stressful and very hectic. I wanted to go somewhere that would not require a great deal of travel and would not require fancy clothes, a car, or anything to worry about. (Advice for fellow NY'ers - take the train from Penn Station and leave the car home). A friend of mine used to own a home in Ocean Grove and she recommended a few hotels and B and B's in the town. As it was the absolute height of the season and I had an extremely short amount of time to plan, book, and go, we ended up booking the "penthouse" room at the Majestic. Extremely expensive but I was desperate for some distance and some quiet. I got both at the Majestic.

The hotel could not be better situated. It is two very short blocks from the ocean and two very short blocks from "town." Our room was part of the newer section of the hotel but that was fine with us; I am not a big fan of country kitsch, beachy decor or the whole seashell and sand motif thing that many of these kinds of places have. It is very tasteful, not tacky and not filled with a million knick knacks covered in dust. For quiet, the penthouse cannot be beat. It is on its own floor. The living room, bedroom and bathroom all have their own televisions, and each room has a door that closes so I could easily nap while my husband watched baseball in the other room. The bathroom is terrific, an extra large jacuzzi tub and a stall shower - I went in to town and bought myself some relaxing bath salts and just relaxed in the tub while watching tv! This is something I do not get to do in my tiny NYC apartment so it was a treat. There is a kitchenette that is complete with dishes, cutlery, a small refrigerator and a microwave, so we could buy food and eat in, which saved us some money considering how much we were overspending on the room.

A few very minor "flaws" truly did not detract from our overall experience. We wondered a little bit about housekeeping - our trash was only taken out once during our four night stay there, and our balcony clearly had not been swept or cleaned in a while - though our bed was made very promptly when we left our room in the morning, which was great. We felt that breakfast could have been even better if it had included something warm or a little more substantive, considering there is a full restaurant on site. The presence of the restaurant is a benefit if one decides to utilize it but can also be an annoyance - twice during our four nights, there were events occurring that crowded the restaurant and closed off the lobby to paying guests, and also, the porch is taken up completely by tables - which is great when you want to eat there but not so great when all you'd like to do is sit on the porch and read. The plastic Adirondack chairs out front just didn't work so well for that. All of these are very minor things, truly - we would happily go back. I guess when you are paying more for a room than you have ever paid before, (kind of ironic its at a Jersey shore B and B and not at a Paris or London hotel!) you look at these things a little more closely! I would most likely not stay in the penthouse again just because it is overpriced, but of course now I am spoiled for any other room!! I also want to add that on the website it said they did not really have the accommodations for children under 10 - which appealed to us on this trip because we really wanted quiet - however there were most definitely a few rooms over a few nights that had very young children in them. Because we were in the penthouse we heard no noise so it didn't matter to us but did make us wonder how we would have felt if we had been in a different room.

The staff was friendly enough. I was not in a very social or talkative mood while I was there, given the reason for my visit, and I appreciated that they were friendly and pleasant. They helped us with taxis, carried our luggage up to the room, and were as helpful as we needed them to be.

Ocean Grove is a beautiful, easy getaway from NYC. Some good restaurants, cute shops, easy access to the livelier Asbury Park area, great for being outdoors, and truly a step back in time. We can't wait to go back, hopefully next time under happier circumstances. Thank you, Majestic, for helping me during my grieving process.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a room with a balcony - if you like to sit outside - because the main por...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
The Ocean Plaza Hotel
The Ocean Plaza Hotel
#3 of 19 in Ocean Grove
The Carriage House Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Majestic Hotel? Share your experiences!