“Summer Fun with Mom”

The Ocean View Inn
The Ocean View Inn
Ranked #8 of 19 Ocean Grove B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My mother and I just returned from our stay at the Ocean View Inn in Ocean Grove, NJ. From start to finish our experience was wonderful. We have stayed at the Ocean Plaza and Ocean View before and they really do their utmost to take care of the people staying in the hotel. Both hotels are decorated beautifully, each has their own personal style, a modern, comfortable atmosphere, with old school charm. They have been restored thoughtfully and carefully and it is obvious that every detail was carefully thought out when they were decorated. It made the experience just that much better. The beautiful photograph prints in the living room of the Plaza were taken by a local artist and really make you feel that you are getting a true beach picture!
We had a very nice view of the ocean from our room which also had Wi-Fi access and cable tv. Although still young, my mother has some problems with her back and Rick happily carried her luggage up to our third floor room for her, he also came by to install a DVD player we requested so that we could do our cardio workouts. Rick also provided us with a cell phone # to reach him if we had any problems or questions and over the length of our stay was charming and willing to take, as well as deliver, some gentle teasing - it felt like we were home! Vicki is also wonderful and knowledgeable and able to answer any questions we posed to her. Upon check-in she provided us with a list of local restaurants that we might want to try and gave us a sheet with tips about each Inn. The breakfast provided was quite varied and really met the needs of anyone staying. In addition, the snacks and chocolates provided around the Inn were a nice touch when you wanted an extra treat. There are also refrigerators in some of the rooms and in the kitchen of the Inns in case you wanted to bring something back with you. The Inns also provided discounted beach passes and very nice beach towels (my favorite is the lavender and white polka dot one) for our daily visits to the beach which is only one block away! On our last day they also kept in the office items we did not want to leave in the car due to the heat and offered us the use of bathrooms for changing before our trip home.
So if you are looking for a home away from home with an upscale, yet comfortable feel, give them a try, I promise you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Make sure to make your reservations early based on if you want to be closer or farther away from the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Shari K

Reviewed 25 July 2013

A day trip turned into an overnight adventure. My husband found this cute little B&B in a beach town in NJ. Simple and elegant is how I would describe this B&B. The customer service was excellent, very friendly, felt like we were old friends. Great view of the ocean on the balcony while we ate breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mlca1018
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Going off season has its downsides, but it was a treat to stay at this quaint, straight out of the 19th century, hotel a block from the ocean. The breakfast was more than adequate, the room was clean and presentable, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. There was free wifi, and all the amenities of a nice BnB. Not sure how crazy it gets mid-summer, but we had a great time.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

Nice b&b....great location really close to beach and short walk to town. Wonderful town ----ocean grove...quiet...breakfast is tight quarters so go early. Have to go to sister inn next door for check-in and anything else

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Eldeedee19
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My son wanted to go the the Bamboozle festival in Asbury Park and this property was recommended by one of the fully booked hotels. I was pleased that they had a room available with 2 beds. The room was clean and great for the two of us. The location is wonderful as it is close enough to Asbury and a bit less crowded. The town of Ocean Grove is quaint and has shops and places to eat within walking distance.
I would definitely stay here again and hope to in January 2013.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights for our anniversary June 19- 21, 2012. As a small business owner myself, I was able to look at my experience through a "what would I have done" point of view.

The building itself is nice enough. Small front porch to sit in the evening and read or have a drink which was nice. Location one block from the beach is excellent, and by the way, the beach is beautiful. You can rent chairs and umbrellas and there is a little stand there that sells "fast" food and soda or water. Enjoyed the water views, especially from the continental breakfast which is provided at the sister bed and breakfast next door. I thought breakfast itself was great. A nice variety, plenty of room to sit, nice atmosphere. I think the owners try their best to keep up these buildings which I can only imagine could be a nightmare to take care of. In fact, when we were there all the carpeting was being replaced, and I noticed the workers did not start until 10:00 a.m., which was probably done on purpose so as not to wake up guests with the hammering. The workers were also friendly and polite when we interrupted them to walk by.

Discounted beach passes and beach towels were provided. Ice is available in the cellar of the sister bed and breakfast.

The bad: Our room was very, very small. We had actually been upgraded when we got there to a bigger room. I can't imagine what the smaller one was like. 302 was so small that one of us had to sit on the bed when the other wanted to pass by...but the weather was so nice we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. Just important to pass on for the traveler that would be upset by such things.

But what I was really upset about was the fact that when I called and made the reservations I specifically asked if small dogs are allowed and was told no.I asked again, "Are you sure we can't bring just one little dog?" "No dogs." When we got there I was aggravated to see two or three dogs with their owners at the hotel. When I asked the owner about this she said, "Oh, the person on the phone must have been new. And if your dog barks at all, that's it!" What's it? No apology, nothing. And how can my dog bark if he's not even here?? I have to say every time I saw those dogs I felt sad that my dog wasn't there with us. Another time my husband and I went to the sister building where the office is to ask a question. The owner was behind her desk talking to a worker. (the carpet guys?) I made eye contact with her and went and sat in the living area to wait until she was done. She continued to talk to the worker for 10 minutes until we finally just left, looking directly at her again on the way out!! And she never asked what we wanted. I was really surprised to be treated like that.

So, would I stay again. Probably not. We got a really great price though and fantastic weather, so I would give our stay a 7 out of 10.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tree6199
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We've never stayed in Ocean Grove before, so we selected the Ocean View Inn after Googling "Ocean Grove Bed and Breakfast." As a professed "hotel snob" I found the Inn to be pretty good. It was by no means luxurious, but it was clean, appropriately decorated (not too old fashioned or too home-y feeling) and it was good for a two-night stay.

Our room was not very large, but fine for two people who were really only in the room to sleep and store our things.

Had the weather been bad, or we had to stay in the room for extended periods, I might have preferred a larger space with a bigger TV - but again, it was perfectly fine for a quick weekend.

Breakfast was held next door at the Ocean Plaza, and it was continental-style. For continental-style they offered a nice variety of options. One block away from the beach, which is extremely convenient!

I'd highly recommend for a clean, comfortable place to sleep.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family