“Looks are deceiving” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 19 Ocean Grove B&B and Inns
Duryea, Pennsylvania
“Looks are deceiving”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

My husband and I love Ocean Grove charm, plus the added delight of being in such a beautiful place with solid spiritual values. We chose Ocean View Inn after hearing of the recent fire across the pathway of Manchester Inn, plus wanting a change in accomodations.

We were greeted nicely by Bob, the manager, and he suggested several places to have dinner, offered us complementary beach towels and discount beach passes. The continential breakfast was your typical various cereals, store-bought pastries and fruits, etc.

The problem with the Ocean View Inn was that we were in a room that had an electrical problem and Bob, the manager, was notified several times that the electric would suddenly go off....and it was one time that the maintenance personnel was up on our floor and just flicked the breaker back on and said, "There you go"! This happened several more times over our 3-night stay, but this time we were left to our own wits and "flicked" the breaker back on ourselves, sometimes in the middle of the night when the air conditioning went off and we were steaming in the 100-degree heat of the East Coast heatwave. Once again, Bob, the manager, was called and he told us that the electrician would be called...time and time and time again. No other rooms available for us...booked up due to Bridgefest in town for the weekend. By the last day the breakers were "hot" to the touch.....and Bob was informed on our checkout that the place was in danger and that there was potential for a fire....he informed us, "I'll call the electrician," -- at this time scaring the pants off the patron that was checking in and within hearing distance. Don't stay in room 305......be aware...and if you do stay in Ocean View Inn, be aware of all surroundings and lock up your things.....our snack box was even taken from our room by the cleaning staff...pretending that it was trash...but then it was found, after pursuing the situation, by the manager's desk.....hhhhmmmmm, if it was trash, why wasn't it thrown away and found in the lobby next to the manager's desk???? Do you think he was hungry for cheese crackers and peanut butter, or was it our tuna mix with crackers....or maybe he just wanted the knives that we brought for cutting up our fruit????

Be aware!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New Hope, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

The Ocean View Inn is one block from the water in Ocean Grove and was renovated in 2006. These are the plusses. However, it does not appear that any work has been done on the place since 2006, meaning the rooms appear as though they need painting, the linens need updating, etc. The rooms are nicely decorated, but the bedrooms in both the singles and the suites are rather small. Our sheets were stained with a black dye/marks and they were a rather scratchy material. The bed was also quite lumpy. The shower is very small, and the bathrooms were cheaply designed. The shower head was wonderful (which was also a plus). There is no need for a television while on the beach, but what is in the room is a clunky version from the 1990's, and in the small lobby, there is a VHS collection to go with it. There is internet that is supposed to be free, but we never found a password anywhere. Our point is that what appeared online to be upscale wasn't. If you are looking for middle of the road and less than $150 for a single room, than it may be for you.

In addition, we did not realize that Ocean Grove is a Christian resort town. That is not the feel of the whole town, but the Ocean View Inn is right on the square where all the religious services are held and the revival tents and buildings of the Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association are located. There were a lot of crosses and scripture written everywhere including at the entrance of the beach where you buy your passes (the scripture changes daily). If you Google the Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association and Civil Union you can find out about a lawsuit that happened a few years back.

For two Jewish lesbians, we found this all a bit uncomfortable. For the most part, the locals were nice, but the "tenters" (as they are called) who vacation for the summer seemed less welcoming to us. We quickly found our way away from the religious square and to the restaurants and shops in town, which were much better as well as Asbury Park.

We will never stay at the Ocean View Inn again, even if it was free. Next time we will either stay at a more modern and gay-friendly B & B in town or in Asbury Park.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank DynamicDuo22
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

I traveled with my husband and two teenagers to Ocean Grove for a mini beach vacation. Ocean Grove is the kind of beach town that is relaxing and quiet and the teeangers who went with me really liked it.

The place that we stayed in was the Ocean View Inn, which is right on Ocean Pathway. The Inn is decorated nicely and very clean. The Innkeepers were very accommodating and helped us with finding local restaurants and points of interest.

The Continental breakfast is on the second floor porch of the Ocean Plaza, which is right across the street. The breakfast had everything you could possibly think of for a Continental breakfast, so no one would go hungry.

I would highly recommend this Inn --- from the hospitality to the overall feel and look of the place. I call it Simply Lovely! I will return, hopefully for a Fall or Winter weekend getaway.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Old Bridge nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2008

I would like to thank the staff of the Ocean View for a very nice time. It rained most of the weekend of my stay and the staff made the most of my stay by providing information for local attractions and comforts for my room. The hotel was very nice, and although the facility was built in 1870, it has been renovated with modern conveniences without losing its Victiorian charm. The breakfast was pleantiful and fresh. It was not a HOT scrambled eggs and bacon breakfast but very nice. I would come back and recommend it to my friends.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Ocean Grove is a dry town must go 1 town over for spirits
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Leosairline
Montclair, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2007

I booked the two-bedroom apartment for $295 for a one-night stay. I had read about the glorious renovations on the Inn's website and favorable reviews from recent travelers. This rate was reduced from $325 when I mentioned to the innkeeper that it was more than I wanted to spend and was basically looking for one room with two beds to accommodate my small family. I thought it was still high for Ocean Grove, but decided to take the room since all the other recommended inns in the area were fully booked and my kids were looking forward to a couple of days at the beach. I inquired about the renovations and the innkeeper confirmed that all the rooms had been recently renovated.

We arrived noting the great location - one block to the beach! We waited in the lovely lobby reading the Inn's brochure describing the "meticulous three-year renovation and the exotic interior that had been designed and decorated to elegant perfection". I continued to read about the fifteen flawless rooms that will exhilarate your senses as you enter an atmosphere of pure luxury sweeping". I communicated all this to my husband still trying to justify the rate.

When we finally entered the room, my mouth almost dropped to the floor. The room's carpet that was absolutely filthy and stained and all frayed on one side, and the furniture looked like it had come from a bad yard sale. Queen size beds completely filled each of the two bedrooms. From the tiny kitchenette, we noticed a very tired-looking bathroom with cracked linoleum flooring and mold on the edge of the shower. The entire room looked like it had been cleaned with a lick and a prayer - all for $295!

I immediately conveyed my dissatisfaction to the innkeeper who, without saying much, scrambled to find another available room on his computer. The executive suite for $325, that was also mentioned at the time of booking, was still available. Although much nicer than the apartment, the suite was far from flawless and did nothing to exhilarate my senses. We decided to take the room, but felt scammed and ripped-off.

I was starting to feel a little bit better as we settled into the room when I stepped on a soggy piece of lettuce next to the bed that was left from a previous guest and overlooked by the cleaning staff. The carpet was similar to that in the apartment with numerous stains and dirt that appeared never to have been cleaned. The bathroom was old with linoleum flooring and cramped with the tiniest corner shower with a stained floor. A toilet plunger was prominately squeezed in between the toilet and the wall. Get the picture!

The beds were very soft, but provided no support for middle-aged backs. The down-like quilts were lovely and the furniture was nice. Ceiling fans provided comfortable breezes. The decor was Caribbean in style, but definitely not my idea of luxurious.

The continental breakfast was served on the second floor porch of the sister inn across the street. With the exception of an ample amount of fresh fruit, it was your typical trans-fat laden simple carb- fest from Costco featuring commercial style bagels, muffins and breakfast cakes.

One postitive note is that the inn's staff were all very nice and accommodating.

Had this experience cost up to $150, I would have felt that I got my money's worth. Instead it was a huge ripoff at $330 and clearly not the "grandeur and elegance of Old World Caribbean Flair" that I paid for.

I commend the marketing geniuses who created the brochure!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — filthy carpet
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
#4 of 6 in Asbury Park
3.0 of 5 bubbles 2,048 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Neptune
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Albatross Hotel
Albatross Hotel
#3 of 3 in Ocean Grove

Been to The Ocean View Inn? Share your experiences!