“We can't imagine a summer without a stay at the Vista”
Review of Ocean Vista Hotel

Ocean Vista Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocean Grove
Ocean Vista Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ocean Grove
North Bergen, New Jersey
“We can't imagine a summer without a stay at the Vista”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We have been coming to the Ocean Vista ever since their second summer of operation, and even if we only manage one weekend, we can't imagine a summer without a stay there. Warm, welcoming, and friendly, the Vista owners and staff are just the greatest. Pete and Diane have put so much love and care into this hotel. But the magic of it is that it balances being a Victorian-styled B&B with being a beach house. A little sand on the floor is not going to give anyone a heart attack, and that casual approach keeps it from being intimidating. The rooms and beds are comfortable and airy, and the hotel is clean and neat as a pin, thanks to the hardworking day crew. There are porches to sit on to drink your morning tea or coffee, libraries to read a book, puzzles for those rainy days, and no TV, except the one in the lobby which is very small. We love that; after all, as Diane says, if you want to watch TV why are you coming to the beach? There is AC, which is very welcome on days such as those 100' scorchers of last week. Be sure to buy your beach passes from their desk as they are cheaper than at the beach itself. Most rooms have private bath, but the shared bath is easy and immaculate and should not deter you from trying this special gem on the shore.

Room Tip: be sure to ask about whether the room is private or shared bath
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank andiamo2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Newton, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My family goes to Ocean Grove every year. For the past six years we have stayed at the Ocean Vista. The owners are very nice. Roscoe is fun to have around. I have three kids who can get loud or crazy. Never once have we ever felt we didn't belong there. The kids can grab a little breakfast before heading out on our bikes. No one says anything but "help yourself" to them. The accomodations are close to the beach. You can order your lunch through the inn keepers a day ahead. The accomodations are not five star, but are very homey and are perfect for us while we are at the beach. We sit on the balcony and watch the ocean as someone showers. We just love it!! The day we are supposed to leave we pack up, go back out to the beach, then we are allowed to come back and shower before going home. Try finding another place as accomodating for a family of five anywhere.

Did I mention that as you are on the balcony you can listen to worship music being played? I highly recommend this hotel for any family.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank stayathomemom32
New York, NY
Reviewed 16 August 2010

First, the pluses: ocean front location, clean, comfortable bed, friendly staff, good coffee, AC. Minuses: double-bed room barely large enough for one person to walk around the bed. The smallest hotel bathroom sink I have ever seen. NO amenities: Dial soap, no tissues, no hospitality touches. Continental b'fast consisted of supermarket products. The excellent local bakery saved us! We expected more for $180/night.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 516
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 July 2010

My parents live in Ocean Grove so I've been going there for several decades. This summer my parents are having major work done on the house so I decided to try out a B&B. Our room had two rooms -- one with a Queen and one with two doubles. It was perfect as I was traveling with two friends. There was a mini-fridge which was handy for storing cold drinks after a day at the beach. The bathroom is old, but fits in with the Victorian theme. The walls aren't exactly sound-proof, but guests seem to be very considerate and quiet when moving about the Inn. I loved that they put out hot coffee, tea, juice and warm pasteries in the morning. Everything was very tasty.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful. I also found the owners to be very friendly.

By far the best selling point are the balconies. We just loved sitting on the rocking chairs and staring out at the water while sipping on our coffee in the morning or sipping on a cold drink in the afternoon. I also like that they provided beach blankets, towels and chairs. Nice touch.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Bogota, NJ
Reviewed 10 February 2010

We (Linda, Brian, Morgan, Little John, Anais and John) loved the Vista more than any other place we have ever stayed in Ocean Grove. I have been visiting Ocean Grove for more than 20 years with my children and now with my grandchildren. The Vista owners and their family members including the dog are just wonderful!. It is everything you dreamed of and more. We plan to go this summer and spend at least 20 days in the sun, the beach and at the Vista! See you there.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Bogota_NJLinda
New York
Reviewed 5 July 2009

The Ocean Vista Hotel is a very nice place to stay. It is a family run hotel filled with friendly people, guests and staff alike. It is right on the beach and near Main Ave where all the nice shops and restaurants are located. If you are looking for a quiet get away I don't think this is the place for you. Many of the guests have kids that run around and socialize on the front bottom porch. Though if you are looking for a warm social atmosphere near the beach this is for you. It is a great place for families with children and possibly some couples.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank Myhobbes
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I found the Inn keeper to be nothing short of A Snob . Never one time said hello , just looked past me each time I entered or left. So noisy it was unreal . Hated this place

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
#3 of 19 in Ocean Grove
Ocean Place Resort & Spa
Ocean Place Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to Ocean Vista Hotel? Share your experiences!