“really good, try it, legitimate compliments and complaints”
Review of Esty Street

Esty Street
Reserve with OpenTable
Esty Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 25 Restaurants in Park Ridge
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Fremont Avenue
Reviewed 7 June 2014

went with family gathering of 21 people for a 60th anniversary dinner.
I grew up in Park Ridge and this used to be Binovi's restaurant, like 50 years ago...It was pretty good then but I haven't been there in decades, quite literally and when we needed a place for a 60th wedding anniversary this was chosen.
I read the reviews and it seemed like it was pretty good, some pompous NJ snobbery peeked through, and between the lines it sounded like a good place. We were all pretty pleased. Was it magnificent? Was the service world class, awe inspiring, capable of making men weep and women swoon? No. Was it really good and a terrific place for our gathering? yes.
The service was good, enthusiastic, young guys, did they keep up with the drink orders? Pretty close. Anybody NOT get what they ordered? No. Food? Very well prepared and nice presesntation. Very good, nothing at all was off, cold, undercooked, gross, rancid, bilious, vile or disgusting. The seafood towers were a riot - huge towers of terrific shrimp, oysters, crabmeat, octopus with varied dipping sauces - oddly, I like that stuff as is with MAYBE cocktail sauce so I couldn't vouch for the quality of the sauces but the towers, which easily served3-4 were a fun addition. I also had a shrimp appetizer - Crispy Shrimp Mofungo which had Potato Wrapped Colossal Shrimp, Sherry Braised Baby Shrimp, Cuban Style Mashed Plantains & Berkshire Pork Belly Chicharrones, which several people had and was terrific.
My dinner was a chilean sea bass special and the sea bass was very good, the vegetables it was on were terrific (but portion was too small), and there was also shrimp on the plate. For dessert I had ice cream, others had cocotufo. I didn't see any complaints. We included octagenerians all the way to teenagers and everyone liked their dinner. Total bill for 21 was $2400 including tip, about $114 apiece but this included wine, beer, drinks, and at least 3 massive seafood towerse.
Would I go again? Yes. I'd love to. Was it one of the best restaurants i've ever been to? No. But I've been to some REALLY good restaurants (see Trip Advisor's top 10 US restaurants - including Commanders Palace and Halls CHophouse, among others). So it has stiff competition but they do a lot right and it is a nice setting.
For what it is worth - we had 21 people but they did not have any type of separate room; they just put us in one "wing" of the main restaurant at 3 different tables...

1  Thank chimayred

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have lived in the area for many years, and have tried Esty Street several times and just don't see why it is so popular. We went with another couple last Saturday to celebrate two birthdays. Once we put in our first drink order, nothing happened, and after 20 minutes when we complained they finally got us our drinks. The waiter then did not bring the menu's forever, and again we had to ask. Finally we had the menus and the waiter never came back to see if we had questions. By then, I had had enough and got up to complain to a person at the front who looked like the manager. He said he was the owner,not the manager and called over the manager into the conversation. I told them that the service was non existent, we were celebrating two birthdays, etc.. and the manager said he would take care of it. When I got back to the table, the waiter came over in an angry mood with an attitude and simply said, "what can I get you"..he said nothing about any questions, etc. The food for the most part was "okay", however my oysters were horrible, Whomever shucked them didn't know that they were doing because they were dried out.. obviously they lost all the liquor when they were shucked. The final straw in why I am writing this review is that... unbelievably, neither the manager, nor the owner came over to our table to ask us how things were! The bill was over $500 and when we left, neither of them were there any longer.

5  Thank pubmitz
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Always a Restaurant that People return to, just great Food, great Service, A Nice Bar serving a good glass of wine or healthy glass of you favorite Liquor.
The Restaurant is Pretty & Comfortable.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Esty Street is consistently amazing! The ambience is really beautiful, the food is outstanding, and the service is attentive but not intrusive. Excellent dining experience!

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Lovely place, great service, unfortunately the food was real let down... Butter and cream just cannot fix insipid food. The menu is very "busy" but I don't believe there is skill enough in the kitchen to carry the ideas through.

3  Thank Victoria A