“NJ Visit”

Travelodge Parsippany
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Parsippany

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Parsippany
Reviewed 6 May 2014

There were piles of gray dust in and around the furniture and in the corners of the room as well as a very musty damp odor in the room. The TV looked like someone spilled a soda down the front of it some time ago and it NEVER got cleaned up! The coffee maker had a film that covered the glass pot. The iron was secured to the ironing board with some type of home made electrical wire. Because the shower floor had dark stains on it, we decided to shower with flip flops on to avoid catching anything. Unfortunately because we were not familiar with the area and it was after 10 when we checked in, we decided to "nap" on top of the bed until 3 am. The smell in the room was so bad that we needed to just check out for health reasons. It is clear that the management (local and regional) have little or no concerns for the health of their guests. The cleanliness (or lack there) of the room was appalling! Without a doubt you will regret staying at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Parsippany.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

kris101, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Parsippany, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the quality of your room. Your concerns have been forwarded to our housekeeping dept and will be addressed immediately. Thank you for making us aware of the issue.

We work hard to provide a clean safe environment for all our guests.
Parsippany
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The welcome was professional and warm. hotel very clean n well maintained. knowledgeable staff. nice breakfast wth hot brkfst options. price affordable

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Bradenton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed there for 13 days. It is an average 2 star hotel. There were some positives and some negatives.

Here are a few of our thoughts:

1. There is mold in the room and bathroom. We heard this from several other guests. The problem needs addressed.

2. The wi-fi was not the best. This is frustrating since the hotel advertises the free wi-fi. For two days we had problems with our (new) laptop finding the network. It would show, we would connect and then it would disappear. At other times throughout our stay we had slow internet or it wouldn't connect at all. I use the computer every day for my job and I am well schooled on network connectivity.

3. When we walked into our hotel room (room 118), there was a cup of old coffee grounds spilled under the bed. Housekeeping must have missed it when they were cleaning.

4. The tub is high off the ground. I realize this may not be an issue for most people but I wanted to mention it. I have RSD which is a severe nerve condition. It was hard for me to step out of the tub and needed help from my husband. Also, there was no stopper plug in the tub if someone had children that needed a bath. The sink's stopper didn't work and so we couldn't soak anything in the tub nor sink.

5. The front door lock was broken.

6. The shower head needs cleaned. There is a lot of lime build up which is limiting the pressure. Also, the shower head seal was broken and the pipes were exposed. This would be an easy fix for the hotel.

7. There was some road noise when a truck or motorcycle passed. I would recommend sleeping with a white noise machine.

And now the positives:

1. This is the cheapest hotel we could find in the area.

2. The TV is older but seemed fine and the remote worked. There was about 20 channels.

3. We were there 13 days and didn't see any bugs.

4. The mini fridge worked well and kept our drinks cold. The microwave worked but took a long time to heat items since it was older.

5. The hotel has a gym which was nice for my husband.

6. The full breakfast was good. My husband loved the make-your-own waffles.

7. The housekeeping staff was very nice. There was one gentleman who was super friendly and shook our hands when he saw us. The rest of the staff could atleast smile more. The guys sitting behind the counter never smiled.

8. Plenty of hot water in the shower.

9. The heat worked well in the room.

Would we stay there again? Probably. Would we recommend this hotel to friends? Probably not. The mold issue is pretty bad.

I also wanted to mention that we booked a handicap room since I use a cane and a wheelchair. However when we checked in there was no handicap room. The person who checked us in was new and just said it wasn't available. My wheel chair would not fit in our regular room. There just wasn't the space between the bed & the desk/entertainment center. I have a real condition and wasn't just looking for more space.

We again checked the next day and a few more times over the course of 13 days for a handicap room. We were told each time that they were booked long term. I don't believe it honestly. Some mornings there were three or four cars in the parking lot. There was no way all of those people were disabled.

I did use my cane for the stay but couldn't use my wheelchair and so I sat in bed a lot of times since I couldn't move around much. We were in town to see an RSD specialist for a two week treatment for my condition.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mellissarose
kris101, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Parsippany, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We try to provide a clean comfortable stay for all our guests. Your concerns have been forwarded to Housekeeping and we are looking into the matter to ensure it doesn't happen again.Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.