“Aging, but works...”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Parsippany
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Parsippany
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Hotel is starting to show it's age, but they do little things to make for a pleasant stay. The breakfast offering is good. They have a relationship with a nearby YMCA if you need a full gym facility. Housekeeping was nice enough to leave a couple of Hershey kisses on my bed each day. The price is competitive with other similar hotels in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 April 2011

This property is located on the North/East side of Parsippany. In other words, if you need to head to the Morristown/Whippany office parks, prepare for traffic!

The hotel itself is in decent condition. Elevators are a bit sluggish and in need of some rehab. Parking area well lit and convenient, if you can figure it out. As is often the case in NJ, it may involve a either a jughandle turn or a triple U turn to access this property located on US Hwy 46. Oh, joisey!

Room quality: acceptable. On my stay I had middling towels, bland toiletries, and a wall mounted AC unit. Read: ancient and hard to regulate. Lighting was adequate, but found the lack of an AC outlet near the bed to be annoying. This traveler prefers his iPhone wakeup, and it would be nice to have it charging by the bed.

Alarm clock: annoying junk that doesn't even have a "wake to radio" option, just a horrible beep. Time to update these.

TV = nice, crisp picture, on an LG unit. Decent though not extensive channel listing on flat screen.

Desk comfort = typically poor Marriott Standard. Oh Marriott, I spend thousands with you annually, and you can't grasp why Hilton uses Herman Miller chairs. Sigh!

Breakfast: Far better than average for this brand. Yes, the evil Jimmy Dean obesity biscuit sandwiches are available, but this hotel understands some of us want yogurt, breads, fruit, etc...far better than average for Fairfield Inn, except the coffee. Sigh, it is bad stuff.

Exercise room? Skip it unless you're into treadmills. There is an LA fitness 3 miles east, well worth the journey.

Hotel offers a "Reception" Mon-Wed. with amercian beer, wine, and appetizers. Nice touch not seen often in this brand.

Room Tip: The advance rate here is 2 queen beds.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Parsippany, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel travel_wahoo – we understand how much time you spend on the road and appreciate it! We’re glad you had a chance to enjoy our evening reception and that our breakfast fit your needs. We do everything within our power to go a step above in the areas we have control over and appreciate that you noticed! We hope to see you next time your travels bring you to the area.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 February 2011

Staff was very friendly and helpful and seemed to genuinely go out of their way to help with directions, questions etc....... A somewhat unexpected snowfall had the front desk staff offering free "snow scrapers" and the use of snow shovels if needed. Parking lot was cleared quickly so travelers could be on their way with minimal inconvenience. Breakfast included with stay was above average. Access to the hotel could be a little tricky for those of us not familiar with the "jug-handle" traffic patterns in NJ but overall this was minor and gave us a good laugh or two. I would certainly recommend this hotel for the budget minded traveller wanting "a little more" for their dollar.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Parsippany, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

Dear DutchF5,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, and for your recommendation. We appreciate your comments and are glad to know you had a positive experience, even with the snow. Come see us again on your next visit to Parsippany!

Best,

Reviewed 2 January 2011

We spent New Year's weekend at the Fairfield Inn. After reading some of the previous reviews, I was expecting the worst, but I was in for a pleasant surprise. The express bus from NYC was a short 45 minute trip, and the bus stop was just a short walk from the hotel. I was upgraded to a suite which was spotless The room had a mini-fridge, microwave, and flat screen TV. The free breakfast buffet included bacon, scrambled eggs, pancakes, waffles, french toast, cereal, juice and fresh baked muffins. The fitness room was small, and lacking any sanitary wipes which was a bit disappointing. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.
I didn't have a car, but lots of restaurants and stores in the area if you don't mind doing a little walking.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Benson50,

Thanks very much for your review and recommendation! We’re glad to hear from you and that you enjoyed your suite along with breakfast. Hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.

Yours truly,

Reviewed 12 August 2010

Rooms weren't big enough for four people,bed was very comfortable, bathrooms needs ventilation, gets really steamy with four people taking showers in the morning. Service, was par excellent. Would go back again, definitely. Way better than Ramada Hotel in Parsippany

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 4 August 2010

The location of the hotel is convenient, the beds are comfortable, the staff very polite, friendly and helpfull. There was no noise. The plastic cups and plates at breakfast are a serious let down. The breakfast itself is not bad, typical Marriott. Paper cups for a take-out cuppa, OK, but to eat your breakfast?! The smell of our room on the first floor was unpleasant, the room felt damp. Accessible bathroom could do with updating, there was mold and black smudges on the floor. Not a bad hotel but not worht the price asked.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2010

My husband and I stayed here on our trip to New York City. The hotel was very difficult to get to, as the surrounding highways are a little tricky to navigate. We had to turn around several times to finally get to the hotel ... but that was mostly our fault.

We got a room on the third floor and immediately unpacked and tried to settle in. I pulled back the sheets and was pleased to see no evidence of hair - but instead we found old blood stains. We just took the other bed instead. (Had a room with 2 Queens). The sheets looked like they had been washed - but the blood stains grossed us out.

Within minutes I started getting sick. Being 9 months pregnant, I am very sensitive to smells. I noticed this when I traveled to a Roadway Inn back in January - and the rooms hadn't been renovated since the hotel applied a no-smoking policy. I called the front desk to see if this hotel used to allow smoking - and indeed they did. I asked to be transferred to a room that was always non-smoking, but the staff didn't know which rooms used to be smoking/non-smoking.

We gambled it and transferred to another room. This time when I pulled back the sheets, I found an old urine stain on the side of the sheets. I was disgusted - but we were so tired we just decided to try the other bed. This one had old blood stains in it as well. We took the one with the blood stains. The bathroom had pubic hair on the floors, as well as mold in the grout of the bathtub. My husband had to use his inhaler to try and breathe, which I've only ever seen him do a handful of times in the years I've known him.

Around 12:30pm I woke up feeling feverish. I lied in bed for about 2 hours before finally waking my husband and telling him that we needed to leave. I couldn't handle being in the hotel any longer. He took me outside (yes, at 2:30am!) and we sat in the car for about 30 minutes until my symptoms disappeared. Fresh air cleared it right up!

After talking about what to do, we went in and asked the front desk if they could transfer us to another hotel or refund us our money. After describing our situation to him, he decided that he was not able to transfer or refund without a managers permission, but he tried to switch our rooms yet again. With no other options but sleeping in the car, we decided to transfer one last time.

Thankfully, we were placed in a room that did not make us sick. While there was still leftover pubic hairs and mold (and some in the A/C too - because the room smelled like cat urine), we were able to finally sleep through the night. The one bed had leftover crusties in it - I asked the front desk to come and take a look so they knew we were not making it up. I think he made of a note of it.

The front desk left a note for the manager, asking them to refund us our money for that night.

The next morning, we didn't have a "do not disturb" sign on the door, so housekeeping came in. They did not replace the crusty sheets - instead they just made the bed. I don't know if that's standard or not. ?

Overall, the staff was really nice. They were very understanding and they DID refund us our money for that night, no questions asked. We felt that they worked hard to accommodate our needs - and make it right for us.

This hotel just needs to be renovated and more diligent about housekeeping issues .... but the staff was wonderful to us.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple