“Nice but Chaotic”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wharton, New Jersey
“Nice but Chaotic”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

While we understand families are welcome and we have one ourselves. Quiet times should be observed and children should be supervised. While we enjoyed our restaurant experience, everywhere else was romper room chaos. Even had to dodge screaming wet pool children running and biking in the lobby and in the hallways.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Jerry G, General Manager at Hilton Parsippany, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I appreciate the feedback, and know the weekend you were referring to. We are used to dealing with families, and always have a good experience. Not sure what came over some of the folks that weekend and we had a difficult time engaging the parents to supervise their children, must have been the full moon, it was extra big. I am sorry you experienced this, as it has been an otherwise delightful summer weekend season.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
wanaque
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

crowded pool very hard to swim with 400 people swarmed around pool. but nice clean room and beautiful lobby. modern modern modern . front . desk average not over the top. great bartending staff though. I would stay again because this property is very elegant in decor.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank cabodoll
Thank you for your comments and feedback. Yes, the pool does get crowded on weekends! Thanks for noting our new lobby and bar look. I am glad the bartenders took care of you, and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed a weekend and disappointed by dirty pool/common areas and heavy chorine smell all around the floor. There was some kind of family event in the hotel and hundreds of kids without parental supervision. I was thinking to enjoy the pool area with my 5 years but no way. The pool area was filthy dirty. There was no towels available and the pool was full of 10-14 years old screaming and jumping all around. The water in jacuzzi was cold. No lifeguards or any staff members watching conditions and warning people about general rules. A few words for the parents with 5-6 kids. Please become a parent and watch your kids in public places closely and show them how to respect others in public places. No hotel pool is your own personal property. And Hilton, unless you put some rules and enforce them, your guests will feel like they are staying in a zoo rather than a hotel.
One other thing, coffee shop is expensive. They are selling a regular coffee 3.80$ a cup, more than Starbucks. So you figure...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jerry G, General Manager at Hilton Parsippany, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback Burak A it is appreciated. We actually had 5 family events, but they booked individually on line so we did not know these were all related folks with multiple guests. We actually did have pool attendants, but due to the number of people you probably could not see them. And as you pointed out, they are there to keep the area neat and clean, they are not police or lifeguards and unfortunatley with the number of children and inattentive parents we could hardly keep up. The pool towels were being taken back to their rooms and could not stay ahead of that demand. I appreciate your notes, and our Managers on Duty also were working the crowd. Our internet special apparently had good results but it was all last minute arrivals. Thanks for your note about the Starbucks, we do try and keep pace with the pricing at the local Starbucks in town, and will revisit that,

Travellers are raving about these Parsippany hotels

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Warning - this is going to be a very long review, as I will attempt to describe all of the issues that we encountered in this recent stay, which was a three-day visit spanning the July 4th weekend. First of all, I'd like to say that this facility, meaning the physical hotel and grounds themselves, are really first-rate. They are beautiful buildings with a ton of amenities that lend themselves to the pure pleasure of the guests. The problem is that they are so mismanaged that no one (with the possible exception of the drunk people attending the massive parties and weddings in the main ballrooms) can enjoy them. We stayed here once before, about 8-9 months ago, and experienced some of the same issues with the noise, and some of the same issues with the room service, but not to this degree.

Perhaps the biggest problem with this hotel is the sleep quality, which on a scale of one-to-ten is about a "minus 15." The first night of the three, we got to sleep OK, until the people in the next room arrived back at 1:30 AM. They were drunk from the party downstairs (I think), and immediately started slamming doors, pounding on doors, and loudly cursing. It was so loud that I did not hesitate; I called the front desk and complained. I believe that the people who were directly across the hall came out and confronted them. The front desk said that they would call them immediately and then send someone up. I heard nothing like that happen, but they did finally calm down by about 2:00 AM, so we only ended up losing half our night's sleep.

The next night, it was a group from farther down the hall, but someone else (a VERY large guy with motorcycle tattoos) threatened them with something, and once again we were able to get back to sleep within an hour or two.

The last night, it was down the hallway the other direction, and I played the role of the enforcer. It was before we went to sleep that night, and they did remain quieter than the other groups the first two nights.

Room service: OK, last time we stayed there we had one small issue, but that was last time, so I won't mention it. This visit, we got back in around 10:00 PM on Saturday night and went up to our room, where I found the bathroom a complete mess. There was a very dirty and wet cleaning cloth slopped across the cover to the toilet seat, with a spray-bottle of pink bathroom cleaning solution on the sink. There was only one bath towel in the room (there were four the day before), and we wanted to take showers after a long hot day. My wife took a shower while I called down to the front desk, where I was told that they would bring them right up. So I waited. And I waited. And I waited. Finally, around 11:00 PM, I called down again and expressed my needs in "less friendly terms." They brought them up in about ten more minutes and removed the filthy cleaning cloths. Ugh.

Speaking of the front desk, if you need anything that requires their attention, your phone call down there has about a 50-50 chance of being answered. A couple times they did answer me. On two other occasions I allowed the phone to ring for TWENTY RINGS EACH without success. My recommendation to you is do NOT have a medical emergency in this hotel.

Aside from the "downcheck" for room cleanliness, the rest of the hotel was downright filthy, especially at night in the guestroom hallways. It wasn't just the stacks of dishes, bags, and empty pizza boxes, but also the extraordinary amounts of crumbs and bits of food up and down the hallways. I can understand that the cleaning help goes home at the end of the workday, but a hotel this size must have the resources to keep at least SOMEBODY on duty 24 hours a day. Our hallway (on the 4th floor) positively stunk by morning. (It smelled like bacon...at least I hope it was bacon.) Crumbs were all over the place in piles and streaks. What a mess! Even the hallway next to the main foyer was filthy...at 8:30 AM! How is this possible?

By the way, reverting to the topic of the noise, I stopped by the front desk around midnight on Saturday night to mention an issue (which I haven't even discussed here yet), and I listened to three separate guests complain about the noise and their inability to sleep. One woman said that people were in the outdoor courtyard, by the outdoor pool, lighting off fireworks and sparklers!!! There was no one to monitor any of this behavior. No one! So I asked the woman behind the front desk if there was a manager on duty to whom I could speak. She said "no, I am the only one here." REALLY???

The reason why I was at the front desk was to ask if there were any "Business Suite" computers that were reserved for adult customers. They had four workstations in their "business section." and every one had a child under age 13 using them to play games and do whatever it is they were doing. None of them would get off, as they had important games to play. When I explained to one little girl that I needed to log on to put money onto my E-Z Pass account so that I could travel the next day, she asked me how long I would like to use "her" computer. Then, to her credit, she did allow me to log on and take care of my business. Hint: do not count on using this hotel's business computers. Bring your own, or be prepared to beg a kid to get on.

As far as the pool goes, there was only one time when we would have liked to swim, but there were so many people already in it that it would have been almost impossible. The hot tub, by the way, would have been impossible. There were so many toddlers in the hot tub (where the toddlers should not be, due to health reasons), that the entire surface area of the tub was filled with people. Ugh...no thanks.

Oh, before I forget...one last little warning to potential guests. If you need to use a safe, they do have them in the rooms, but they are thin boxes that are installed inside the top drawer of your dresser. Since the dresser drawer doesn't pull out all the way, you really can't get the lid of the safe to raise up too far. So hopefully either you or your spouse has a thin hand, which will fit into your safe and allow you to retrieve your valuables. (Since I spent too much of my life as a competitive weightlifter, my hand didn't really fit in there. I had to make sure that all my valuables fit in the extreme front-right corner of the safe. Anything that slid backwards could be retrieved by my wife.)

OK - as far as "good things" in this hotel; the staff (when you can find them during the day) are very nice. The front desk people, who are stretched too thin, were very friendly, as was the concierge and the bartenders. The rest of the staff was, to me, invisible. But those few folks I just named were honestly trying.

Suggestions to make this hotel worthy of your stay:
1. GET SOME MORE HELP! Especially during the night hours, you need more people to make this place work.
2. Enforce your own rules about noise and politeness. I am not a librarian, and I don't need absolute quiet. But hollering and slamming on doors at 1:30 AM is not why I pay what I pay for a room.
3. Hire someone to clean the halls at night...or even to pick up the large things, like the pizza boxes and the bags of trash in the middle of the hallway.
4. Put an absorbent mat on the floor outside the indoor pool. Put ANYTHING to dry the water off of the feet of swimmers before they was down that highly polished tile floor. Someone is going to slip on that and sustain a serious injury.
5. Figure out some way to answer the front desk telephone when guests call who need help. If your front desk people can't manage that because they are busy, then you need to hire more help.
6. Establish at least 1-2 computers in your "business section" that are not to be used playing Nintendo or Super Mario or whatever the kids were playing. When an adult guest needs to use something to facilitate their travel, they should have instant access to a computer rather than having to wait for the next game to end.
7. Establish a guest room checklist for your maids so that dirty wet cleaning cloths and spray bottles are not left on our toilets and towels ARE left in the bathroom.
8. Please put a refrigerator in the guest rooms. For what we paid, I think we deserve it. Just a thought.

I've spent entirely too much time writing this review. I'm sure that more happened to me on this visit, but I don't want to even bother trying to recall it at this time. I would rather just forget this whole ordeal. We had a decent time staying here last October, but this was a complete write-off. We will not return to this hotel under any circumstances.

Room Tip: Yes - get a room outside of the hotel. Also, I recommend bringing along ear plugs, plus silencer cus...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Larry W
Thanks for taking the time to detail your stay. I apologize that you experienced noise issues that should not have occured. I am reviewing your notes with the manager on duty to determine the specifics so we can ensure that does not happen again. There was an unusually large number of family reunions, and normally those are booked as groups and we can prepare for the arrival and needs. In this case, all the reservations were booked individually and last minute and there was an exceptionally large number of children who were largely unsupervised by their parents. I appreciate the positive comments about the staff, and your list of suggestions. While many are in place, just a bad weekend, others were helpful and I plan to add them to the operating procedures. Larry, I know you said you would not come back, but this is really an isolated weekend...and I would like to keep you as a guest. Please consider sending me your e-mail so I could apologize in a more personal manner. I can be reached at the hotel, or if you prefer e-mail at ewrph_gm@hilton.com. Thank you again for your detailed review.
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Never again will I stay at this hotel. The room itself was very nice and I loved the bathroom decor. The window opened which was a nice surprise. The lobby area is very nice with little lounge spaces. I stayed here with my boyfriend for our anniversary and were expecting to love it. The reason I will never stay here is because of the pool and the management. We went to try to enjoy the pool even though there was like 100 people in and surrounding both pools, 99% being splashing children with little to no supervision. And NO im not exaggerating on the number, I counted. We chose the inside pool area because it was the least crowded. There was a guy watching the pool area but he obviously didn't care too much and was mainly worried about the towels and his iPhone. He wasn't a lifeguard though I should add. 15 minutes into our swim my boyfriend alerts me to the fact a mother was allowing her young son to pee in the drain next to the pool. Like swimming trunks down private parts in full view. Peeing. When he finished she pulled his shorts up and went about her business. We swam away from that area and tried to enjoy the rest of our time. The pool water itself was cloudy and had some little floating things in it but im hoping it's just because there was so many people there. Finally the amount of people and children splashing became to much and we decided to leave. While I was drying off I looked up and saw another mother from a total different family walk her daughter off to the side of the pool and instruct her daughter to pee. Not even in a drain, just on the floor where everyone was walking. At that point I was so disgusted I had to grab my stuff and leave before fully drying off. I went to the front desk to alert them to the fact this was going on and their employee wasn't doing anything about it. The management came to talk to me and was so unapologetic about it. He basically was defensive and rude and completely uncaring of the fact that my whole stay was ruined over this. I wasn't expecting any more than a true concern and apology and I couldn't even get that. He tried to defend the fact that his employee wasn't doing his job and neither was he. I wish I got his name but I was so upset and grossed out it didn't even cross my mind. He treated me like I was crazy for crazy so upset. Its understandable that he couldn't immediately control these families, but he absolutely could have made us feel better about the situation. I mean come on its a Hilton!!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael D, Manager at Hilton Parsippany, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the ending experience you had. It sounds as though your anniversary was a success and you enjoyed everything from your room to our team's service up to that point. I do appreciate your understanding how our team members can't control the actions or poor decisions of other guests. By the scenario you described to our manager and in your review, our pool attendant would have intervened and addressed the actions had they been witnessed. Did you mention this to him when you saw him? I do apologize if he was unable to catch the scenario you described while they occurred. The manager you spoke with at the desk did go to the pool immediately after speaking with you to investigate as it was reported in his daily recap. The pool attendant and he both spent the next hour ensuring that between the two pools everyone was taken care of and nothing as you described took place. Again, I do apologize that these actions of others left you feeling "your entire stay was ruined", especially since everything went so well prior. I do appreciate the feedback and hope that you will remember the positives of your anniversary and will allow us a future opportunity to take care of you.
Deptford, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Hotel has recently updated lobby. Rooms are comfortable and quiet. Location is very nice and safe. Staff is very attentive and they strive to ensure you are satisfied with your stay. A good choice for families or business travel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Pamela,
Thanks for taking the time to share your positive feedback with other travellers. I am glad to see we met and exceeded your expectations, and I hope to see you the next time business brings you to the Parisppany area.
Germany
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Very nice hotel, I like the look of the lobby. It looks very modern and inviting. Hotel is located in a great area, you are just a few miles away from Morristown and if you need to go to the city, hotel provides a shuttle to the train station. Staff is the greatest especially front desk and the drivers are very friendly. I highly recommend Hilton Parsippany to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Jerry G, General Manager at Hilton Parsippany, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Robert C
Thanks for the review. I am glad you enjoyed our lobby. The iconic apothecary glass wall and our private conversation areas, and community tables give the area a great vibe. It seems busy all the time. We appreciate your business and thanks for your endorsement.