“Great food and amazing atmosphere”

Hamilton & Ward Steakhouse
Ranked #25 of 210 Restaurants in Paterson
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Hamilton & Ward Streets
Description: At Hamilton & Ward, you are a very special guest and entitled to exceptional food and service. We offer world-famous Kobe beef, the finest seafood and USDA Prime beef dry-aged for 28 days on the premises and hand selected by the operator. We assure you that your experience here will have you coming back time and time again.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Very fancy, this place seems to have been set down from somewhere else. It is surprising to see such a fancy restaurant tucked into downtown Paterson. Typical steak hose fare, atmosphere is wonderful. It feels like you are entering onto a secret subterranean world, almost like a winery somewhere in Napa. The food is delicious if somewhat pricey

1  Thank JOYSKID

Reviewed 20 December 2013

On our 3rd day of jury duty, 7 out of 8 juors decided to go here for lunch. One of them said he had a great burger here yesterday. I ordered the beef and barley soup and the grilled chicken and swiss sandwich. Delicious! Others ordered the same or burgers. Every one said they enjoyed the food. I watched food orders going to other tables. The shrimp looked incredible! Nicely presented as were our orders. Since we were basically strangers, we asked for separate checks, which the staff gladly accomodated. My bill was under $14.00, not bad for a full lunch that had me totally stuffed and satisfied. The dinner menu prices seemed a little higher than average, but the food seems good, the staff friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere pleasant.

1  Thank John T
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My boss took my family and friends here for dinner. It was amazing. The drinks were superb. The service was fabulous as well. All of our appetizers were superb and tasted very fresh. The entrees were excellent! The men all had red meat and all said it was very tasty. I had the ahi tuna which tasted very fresh and cooked perfectly!

Reviewed 24 February 2012

"My boyfriend and I dined with another couple who was raving that they wanted to go here. After seeing the reviews online and looking at their website, we thought..Ok expensive but it seems worth it. Those reviews oull the wool over your eyes. When driving down the street you can not even see the sign for it at night since it is completely black and there are no lights outside. One plus is that they do have FREE valet parking! Upon walking in we were greeted by the manager and seated promptly at a very nice and big booth. It was 8:30 pm on a thursday and there seemed to be only one other table in the restuarant besides us. Our server Wanda greated us in a timely manner and brought over water and the drink menu. She returned quite a bit later for our drink order. It took upwards of 20 minutes for us to get our drinks. Maybe totally understandable if it was a packed house but like I stated before it was not. After that seh took our food order I got the 4 course prix fixe which gave you an option of one of 4 appitzers (all seafood by the way, which for me a seafood lover is awesome but like someone like my boyfriend or our friend who are allergic to seafood it is not) then you can choose to have a soup or salad, then a chicoe of 5 entrees, dessert and coffee, tea or espresso. I chose the crab cakes that were literally phenomenal. They were cooked perfectly and laid on top of this delicious lobster sauce. I chose to have the french onion soup, which was ok really really really strong smelling of the brandy, and you could really taste it. My boyfriend chose the salad which was jsut some mixed greens thrown on a plate. Nothing else. My main corse I chose the Ribeye which is by far my favorite cut of steak so fatty and juicy. I ordred medium rare, some parts were rare some parts were well some parts medium. IT WAS THE WHOLE SLUE OF COOKING TEMPS ON A 24 OZ PIECE OF MEAT. Out of the 4 steaks ordered at the table not one came out at the correct tempature. In fact Our friend sent hers back she had ordered mediium rare and it came out well done. The waitress couldnt rememeber who ordered what at any point of the meal from beginning to eat. Steak knives were brought out about 15 minutes afte recieveing our entrees. The Side dishes came out wrong and far time after the entree as well. Over all from start to finish we were there for about 3 hours, and all of that time was spent wating for drink refills and food. We got the attention of the manager and brought up a few points, he apologized and asked if he could get us anything, our friend wanted a refill of his beer, 45 minutes later still no beer. We then had to asked our waitress. so add another 20 minutes to that time. After eating the sub par meal she asked what we would like for dessert, options were: chocolate cake, pumpkin pie, and sweet potato pi...is this a diner? we all opted for the chocolate cake....she explained to us it is served warm. About 25 minutes later they came out...not even warm or cold just felt like they had been sitting on the counter in the kitchen all day. It was the worst piece of cake Ive had in my life. My boyfriend who loves choclate cake coulnt even bare to eat more then a bite. She also never offered us the tea or coffee. now at about midnight she brings us the check. I have been in the resturant business for a long time, I can not see this place even prospering with the way its gonig right now. Terrible service, Slow serivce (again on a not busy night there was only one other table there) terrible food and way over priced. You can get a better meal at any chain resturant. And I dont even eat at chain restaurants. You could literally have a better meal at McDonalds. What A WASTE OF 300$ never never never again. STAY AWAY.

1  Thank Cait1324
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Food was excellent - try the Flinstone Long Bone Ribeye for 2 - you get a few different cuts of meat on one plate.

Also try the sugarfree cake - it's a special recipe made by their pastry chef.

Serivce was excellent and there was not a lot of people there when we went (7PM on a Saturday).

I would say it was a little pricey for 2 people - $190 (with one vodka drink each).