“Charming Old Victorian”

Isaac Hilliard House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Pemberton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My sister and I were in Pemberton to attend her daughter's wedding. We stayed in this wonderful Victorian B&B called the Isaac Hilliard House. From our first steps into the house it was a step back to a wonderful time of warmth, welcoming and style. Our room was comfortable, clean and also provided that Victorian charm. It was wonderful to stay where you were treated like a family member and not just a guest paying to spend the night as in a "normal" hotel/motel setting.

As we will be visiting NJ and the Pemberton area often to visit with my niece and her family, we would stay again and know we will be well taken care of by Phyllis, the very sweet caretaker of Isaac Hilliard House.
Anita and Terry - Providence RI and Plainville CT

Room Tip: We stayed in the Raspberry Room which is in the front of the house (facing street) and did not hear...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 June 2013

My son and myself needed a room for a local lacrosse tournament and this was right down the road. We had a great stay, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Phyllis was very nice and we had a great breakfast. If we are ever in the area again we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Patrick R
Reviewed 25 April 2013

It's easy to recommend this B&B. I was arriving fairly late so Phyl had some homemade soup ready for me and some great conversation. It's an old house, not a fancy hotel or motel, so the feeling is cozy and authentic and unique -- not a cookie-cutter experience.

The room I stayed in was the smallest and least expensive, but it was just room enough, clean and comfy -- great mattress, hot shower with plenty of water pressure, nice towels. It might be small maneuvering for two people; and since it's at the front of the house, I could hear the traffic in the morning. I'd upgrade next time to the back of the house if I'm planning to sleep in. This time, I had to get off to an early appointment so that wasn't an issue. Yummy pancakes for breakfast and a warm good-bye.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We were lost in NJ during Hurricane Sandy trying to get to my grandmother in Galloway, NJ. All the roads were flooded and trees were down while conditions were worsening. I found the Isaac Hilliard House on my iPhone and called. Phyl answered the phone and from our first conversation was a comforting presence in our lives.
We arrived to soothing jazz music and a cozy, old but immaculately clean home full of lovely antiques and keepsakes gathered by the owners.
We stayed there for two nights-the first night was the intense night Hurricane Sandy hit. I honestly can't think of many other places that would have felt more safe and secure during those high winds and buckets of rain.
Our room was ample in size, clean and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The parlor room is lovely and Phyl welcomed us to spend time there and even opened her kitchen to us knowing all restaurants were closed.
We never met Phyl's partner Gene, but we truly enjoyed our conversations with Phyl. She has traveled the world and is a gifted poet. She is an interesting, dynamic lady - few people are as interesting as she is.
The Isaac Hilliard House was a gift, as if angels led us to it during a very difficult journey. I highly recommend it to anyone with an open mind ready for a lovely experience.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Kirstenmaty
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I want to thank Phyllis and Gene for the wonderful experience that I had at the Isaac Hilliard House. I was a long term guest and cannot begin to say enough great things about my stay. It was gracious, charming, and loving. I was welcomed into the home as if I were part of the family immediately and I could not wait to go home after work and spend time with Phyllis, Gene and of course Dash!
I was astonished to find out that the house was built in 1749....I am from the west and it blows my mind that there are houses that are still standing that were built BEFORE the revolutionary war, before America was America and in such great shape! I love the old original floor boards, the curving stair case and the lovely furnishings of the home! That is exactly what this house was to me a home! My room (Raspberry) was perfect, extremely clean, super comfortable bed, lovely decor and no cracks, dust or dirt in sight - with a fabulous writing desk that I am determined to secret out of there one of these days and Phyllis knows it.
I do understand that the bed and breakfast experience is not for everyone. It is personal, interactive, unique, and often times not shiny, new or perfect. That is the whole reason to stay at a B&B. I do have to say that if you expect modern, new, shiny and perfect that perhaps the bed and breakfast experience in general is not for you and would recommend a hotel in the city somewhere. However, if you love to experience adventure, interact with different people, enjoy old world charm and understand that a crack here and there tells a story and shows character then I highly recommend a stay at the Isaac Hilliard House!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! They all have private bathrooms which you can't always find in a B&...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I recently had the great pleasure of staying at the 'Hilliard House" (HH) while traveling on business in New Jersey. Unfortunately, my travel schedule got me to HH much later in the evening than I had hoped but the inn keeper was very accomodating and pleasant despite the late hour. I stayed in the 'Masters' suite that was very spacious, included a large priovate bath, a separate dressing room and was appointed with many period pecies that really reinforced the fact that I was staying in a home that was built in the early 1700's before the U.S. was a country! I also had to leave early the next morning but not before I was treated to a delicious breakfast to order. Certainly, B&B's aren't for everyone, but if you're looking to connect with historical lodging, learn a bit more about your travel destinations and meet some great folks, a B&B could be a great experience for you. In particular, if your travels bring you anywhere near Pemberton, New Jersey, I highly recommend the Isaac Hilliard House for it's Historical Charm and great accomodations!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank scottjsoares
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I am usually in agreement with the majority of a locations reviews however for this particular property I couldn't possibly be. I did not find Phyl to be as gracious as most other guests have suggested. From my first contact with her I found that I had to repeatedly reach out to her for email confirmation of our reservation and its subsequent change. Upon our arrival I found the room (Isaac Hilliard Suite) to have a strong musty odor and extremely warm. There were torrential rain storms shortly before our arrival and during the tour of the room we were directed to a plastic bucket which we were instructed to move where needed should the rain begin again. We were asked about dietary restrictions at which point I explained my aversion to eggs, yet both days we were served eggs for breakfast. During the meals when asking for more juice and/or cream it was taken from the table of the other guests. Very tacky! When we inspected the pool we found it dirty, cloudy and green as opposed to the luxurious blue the picture on their website suggests. The landscaping surrounding the pool was also overgrown. The grounds as a whole were unkempt with bags of garbage strewn around. I clearly understand the house is old, as the Innkeeper will most likely reply. But there is old/charming and there is old/in need of repair. I suggest the latter. There were cracks in the walls and ceilings in every room, cob webs between the panes of glass in every window and debris on the window sills. For $180 a night we felt that we had been taken for a ride. The final insult came upon our departure when we mistakenly thought checkout was 12:00PM. Not only was the hour passed thrown in our faces, a gratuity was also requested. When we explained our dissatisfaction and the fact that the price we paid should include the gratuity, we were told that this was not a "glitzy" place, (but in our minds they wanted a glitzy price.) This is a DO NOT RETURN property.

Room Tip: Rear of the house if at all
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tv1965
Phyllis and G, Guest Relations Manager at Isaac Hilliard House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

The innkeepers are dismayed that the guests chose to stay the entire weekend at a place that, on arrival did not meet their expectations. In fact, they stayed longer than any other weekend guest on that weekend. A total of seven confirmation emails were sent to the guest. No messages were returned. We had no idea when these guests would arrive. When we receive notification of a guests' time of arrival, we will ensure the room's air condition is turned on. As the guests reported, there were torrential rains prior to their arrival. A ceiling leak was repaired prior to the guests arival. As a precaution, a receptacle was provided in case the newly repaired tin roof did not withstand the torrential rains that were expected to continue. The guest said his aversion was to egg yolks. On day one all guests were served poached eggs. The guest enjoyed the egg whites. Our breakfast on day 2 was a casserole. The guest was offered an alternate breakfast dish but said he was fine with the fresh fruit and toast and bacon. The guest was informed prior to booking the room that the pool may not be available for use due to new regulation imposed by the Burlington County Health department. As the guest mentioned, there were torrential rains up to their arrival. Having received dangerous weather warnings external clean-up was deferred due to torrential rain, lightening and thunder. Since all our guest rooms were occupied, it was impossible for the guest to see every room. When initially booking the reservation. the guest rquested an early check-in. The check-in and check-out times were explained to him. So there was no mistake in not knowing the check-out time. In conclusion, had these guests expressed their severe displeasure shortly after their arrival, the innkeepers would have waived the normal penalty for shortened stays and aborted this booking so that the Bed and Breakfast gift card presented as payment could be used elsewhere.

Been to Isaac Hilliard House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!