“Great Ride!”

Cliffside Park, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Ride!”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Had a wonderful time. My grandkids loved the ride and had a great time collecting eggs! Crew was very friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend this ride. It was well worth the fare.

3 Thank Ray N

Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Horrible Easter Experience”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We took the Easter ride earlier today, and the entire trip was horrible. The very best part of the day was the 2 or so hours we sat and waited on the late train to arrive. At least the weather was nice, sunny, etc.

To be fair I should say that most of the staff were pleasant enough, and since we saw none of them for more than a moment even the rude ones were tolerable. That being said, the train itself was filthy. Not just from the previous excursion, but from what could only have been years of grime and filth. Evidently the seats, windows, rails, etc are never cleaned. Additionally, there was a huge swarm of tiny bugs both inside and just outside the train so that when you boarded or unboarded you were swarmed in the face. Since the bugs also boarded with the passengers, they flew around inside the train and were annoying in there as well.

The trip was quite short, especially considering how long we had been waiting, and when we got to the "egg hunt" area we were met with a small clearing boxed off by hay bales with a few hundred plastic eggs dumped inside. The designated area was far too tiny for the number of people, and the high energy of the older children as they pushed and shoved to get more eggs made it unsafe for the younger kids unless adults were in there with them. All this made the crowd even larger and more difficult to maneuver within.

Once our children managed to get their permitted 4 eggs each, we worked our way out of the masses and outside the clearing so they could excitedly open their eggs. Our total of 8 "prizes" consisted of 1 empty egg, 2 tiny plastic alien-looking things, 4 thin plastic bracelets....3 black and one orange, and a skull ring. It appears this particular egg hunt had a previously undisclosed Halloween theme.

In the tiny "festive" area surrounding the hay bales there were 2 easter bunnies in grimy costumes, a gentleman spinning 2 spools on a string, and a banjo player with a portable speaker so loud you couldn't hear anything when he was within 10 feet of you.

On the ride back to the station the juggler did walk through our car juggling balls, followed by the grimy grey bunny who waved a few times as he moved toward the back of the train. Just before we were allowed to exit the train the banjo player passed by and positioned himself by the exit steps and played loudly to the captive audience that had lined up to get done with the entire experience.

We have been on trips at Kempton Railroad as well as others in various areas and states, and usually we enjoy them very much. This, however, was a dirty, annoying, horribly-planned and executed experience, and was quite overpriced compared to much better trips elsewhere. I suggest you look just a bit further and end up with a much more pleasant experience.

2 Thank tamker2004
ccotty, General Manager at Delaware River Railroad Excursions, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hello, I am sorry you are so upset.
Please let me review some things.
You did not mention that there were brush fires spreading 9 miles along the railroad. We did everything we could to keep our passengers entertained for the 4 hours we were retained by the fire departments. Like our ENTIRE crew, the fire departments are all volunteers. Just like the fire fighters we give 1000% percent and excel at what we do.
I am sorry you feel the train is dirty, perhaps that was because the poor people that were on the 11 am trip just spent four hours on the train.
We spent the winter rebuilding our antique train cars, new tile on the floors, seats completely removed and reupholstered.
It was a difficult day, I grant you that. We could have cancelled the whole day due to the fires BUT we couldn't imagine all the sad children.
We did our best.
As far as the flies, only GOD is to blame for them.
They were May flies and come out this time of year.
I am sorry you felt the Grey rabbit was grimy, he was NOT. It was a grey rabbit and that is the way the costume was designed.
I can absolutely understand why you would be upset with all of the delays, but, one would hope you would understand that the fires were not under our control.
Please contact me on the railroads website I will gladly give you tickets to come ride one of our other trips. I look forward to meeting you in person.
Even better, come out and volunteer with the rest of us, it is a very rewarding experience, except when our work is harshly and unfairly criticized.
I hope to hear from you soon.

Chris Cotty
VP & GM
center valley,pa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“What a waste of money”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We paid 57 dollars for two adults and two children. The train ride lasted 14 minutes both ways. The floor and seats of the train were so filthy I did'nt want my children to even put their hands on the seat. The train went to a 20 x 20 patch of land that was full of easter eggs and the kids that went first were allowed to fill their baskets completely (after being told they could on have 4) walked right through the gate by the employees. When we told them that there was nothing left for the last 50 kids they shrugged and said sorry. Do not waste your money on this. The town is sketchy the parking does not exist, and the people that work there have no idea what is going on and no one is in charge. The bathrooms were so filthy that you could not even use them. The whole thing is scarey I will be calling them to get my money back on Monday. Yeah good luck

2 Thank kerryCenterValley_pa
Hello, I am sorry you did not have a great experience. Although I feel the customer is always correct i must correct your statements in this instance. the train ride in total lasted 1 hour and 20 minutes which included 25 minutes at the bunny patch. The bunny patch is not 20 x 20 but is actually over 350 feet long and about 85 deep. We ask the parents to make sure that only 4 eggs are taken, even when we instruct them otherwise they do not listen. There were plenty of eggs on hand for everyone, we distributed 25,000 eggs over the three days we operated. We do not have any employees only volunteers and we also have no "gate" as you stated. You mentioned we had no parking. This is far from the truth. you were emailed this page http://www.877trainride.com/easterparking.htm
which shows you where parking for over 500 cars is located as well as free shuttle buses.

What is important to note is that on the day you rode the train there were brush fires spreading 9 miles along the railroad. this caused the delays.
Please contact me via our web site so that I may issue you tickets to come ride with us again.
Even better, please feel free to volunteer with the rest of us as it is quite a rewarding experience.
Chris Cotty
VP & GM
Newport, Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awful experience”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We just returned from the polar express ride and I am appalled. My husband had just had surgery on his brain, and decided to wear the cap and the gloves, outfit etc that the character in the movie worse on the train since there would be too many children to see the stitches and wound. When it came time to take our picture with Santa, he proceeded to rip my husbands hat off his head! My husband was a gentlemen and let it be, however my entire family were shocked and all twenty of us vowed never to return. How nasty for a grown man to rip the hat off of another adults head. I understand if we were in a restaurant, or if we were not on a night train where night caps were allowed, but this was just disgraceful.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Aileen H
Boston, Massachusetts
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Very scenic train ride along the Delaware River. Knowledgeable conductors providing information and good options on the way which are appropriate for kids, such as mine and corn maze.

Visited September 2013