“Disappointing”

Perkin's Family Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 87 Restaurants in Phillipsburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Of all of the Perkin's I have been to, this one had the most disappointing food. The most recent dinner confirmed this, though my last visit was for breakfast.

• Visited February 2014

Bloomsbury, New Jersey
“Always a Good Experience!”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

When we treat ourselves to a lazy Sunday morning breakfast out, this is where we go. The food is hot, good, consistent and reasonable price for what you get. We've been here for a dinner meal a few times, too. The wait staff is always pleasant and attentive. There have been no issues with cleanliness of the facility whatsoever, including the restrooms. They must be doing something right here, because if you wait and go late on Sunday, it's packed, not just with travelers passing by but with local residents. We first dined here during Superstorm Sandy back in 2012.

• Visited November 2013
New Jersey
“Surprisingly Decent for a Chain Restaurant”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I am a snob about eating places, and I equated Perkin's with Denny's. I would never eat in a chain budget place, but would seek out a small local diner if I had a choice. That said, I found little to complain about. we waited about 8 minutes for a table for 5. The waitress came quickly with menus, and there were more choices than I had thought. Why does every entree come with meat? I was able to substitute the meat with a small cup of fruit. The whole wheat french toast wasn't at all greasy. My husband had plain oatmeal with sliced banana. They don't offer skim milk. The women's bathroom was very clean. All in all, it was fine for a breakfast.

• Visited November 2013
Western Massachusetts
“Why Did I Stop Here?”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I'd been here a few years back, and didn't remember that until I walked in this time. Bad decision. The place is old, poorly maintained and has an air of dismal and dirty. The carpeting should have been replaced years ago; the men's room is something akin to what you'd find in a third world bus station. There was an odor by the kitchen that was - well, vomit-like. The tables felt tacky and the windows are grimy. I can only imagine how bad the kitchen is.
So I ordered a salad with chicken, and it wasn't horrible - but the whole time I pondered the dingy surroundings and as a result couldn't enjoy my lunch. It was $13 for a salad and a coke, before the tip. You'd be better off spending your cash elsewhere. This place needs to be gutted.

I've been in other Perkins, and clearly this place wouldn't pass the test if they ever bothered to inspect it.

• Visited June 2013
NJ
“Don't be fooled by the good reveiws.”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Yes, the wait staff is friendly and the food was tasty.

My complaint is with the condition of the restaurant itself. The carpets are filthy and greasy. The seat cushions are torn. The air is stuffy and dank. The smell of the men's room reminded me of a New York city public bathroom.

During our stay, there was a water leak over our table. The water dripped on to my head, and then on to my plate and into my food. I had a closer look at the drywall where the leak was, and you could tell from the water stains on the drywall that the ceiling has been leaking for a while. We relocated ourselves to an adjacent table, at which point a manager appeared with a tupperware container to catch the leaking water. When the waitress found out what had happened, she offered to have the kitchen prepare a reduced portion of my meal, which I accepted.

We've been to this Perkins a few times, and usually the food and service is fine. What bothers me about this visit was the casual attitude about the leak, and the fact that the manager didn't even ask about how the leak affected our time at restaurant. You have to ask yourself what other conditions the restaurant owners don't know about/ don't want to fix.

• Visited February 2013