“Outstanding Motel”

Windswept Motel
Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
“Outstanding Motel”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

First, let me say that Ron and his team have done a wonderful job with the Motel since Super Storm Sandy hit the area last year. You would never know it by looking that the property that there was a storm in the first place. Furthermore, I've been going to the Windswept since 1972 when I was in grammar school. Now, a Doctoral candidate, I can clearly state that the same level of "quality" 'friendliness" and "professionalism" havent changed since decades past--they have gotten better. I will be returning for sure for more pleasant time in Point Pleasant courtesy of the Windswept Motel. Kudos to the entire staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Dan H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Rensselaer, New York, United States
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband and I were traveling "home" (from upstate N.Y) for my high school class reunion and being as what I miss the most in Jersey was the beach, ocean and boardwalk, I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and book a motel on the shore. I had not been back to the shore in more than 5 years and pre-Hurricane Sandy. I looked for a motel on different websites and decided to make a reservation at the "Windswept" praying it was a good choice for a long weekend (Friday thru Sunday) . We were definitely not disappointed and in fact, very pleased and happy with our choice. Our room was very clean, nice, on the 2nd floor with a great view of the beach and ocean. The staff was wonderful, very accommodating, polite and always making sure everything was to our liking. You receive beach passes to the beach right outside the motel property, the motel pool was clean and very relaxing, and the motel is within walking distance of the Pt. Pleasant boardwalk. After seeing pictures in their motel lobby of the damage Sandy had done to their motel last year, it is amazing how quickly they bounced back. You would never know it had been that damaged such a short time ago. I highly recommend the Windswept and on our next visit to New Jersey will definitely book with this very satisfying lodging.

Room Tip: We had our room on the 2nd floor, almost at the end of the motel, it gave a great view of the beach...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dianne L
Eastchester, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I had a reservation to stay for a weekend. I was told that I had 10 days prior ro reservation to cancel with out penalty. I just canceled, 23 days prior to my stay and I was charged a 10% handeling fee. I am so angry. I asked exactly what was "handled" since my down payment was handeled over the phone and via credit card and they it was the "processsing fee". I fee very taken advantage of and just having been informed prior would have avoided this. I will never recommend this place to any one!!! Be upfront about your fee's and this can be avoided. a Phone call just cost me $35.00.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen C
Fort Lee, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We decided to go to the shore for an extended weekend, arriving Friday and leaving Monday. After several reviews we decided to book the Windswept and so glad we did. The hotel looked as though it had never been affected by the horrible Super Storm Sandy. The rooms are extraordinarily clean and large. The beds (although not so comfortable) were dressed with comfortable blankets. The furniture was very clean and you could tell the room had been freshly painted with new carpet. The hotel sits right on the beach and a major perk was getting beach badges (already paid for by the hotel) daily. We had an ocean front room with a private balcony which was just delightful. Great towels, toiletries and super cold air conditioning also. The hotel has a great pool (which is brand new) with a brand new pool deck also. We were luckily enough to have the pool to ourselves almost daily. A two second walk onto the beach from the pool or a one block walk onto the boardwalk! The hotel is on the quieter side of the beach which was great. Just a short walk to the boardwalk where all the activity is but then retreating to a peaceful area made this a no-brainer when booking. The staff is super friendly and we will definitely be booking this hotel again on our return!

4 Thank CFS16
Maplewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I were looking for something clean and close to the beach for a couple of nights. Very glad I went with the Windswept. It's on the beach and just a short distance from the beginning of the boardwalk. Martels and the heart of the boardwalk could be considered a long walk depending on your age and the shape you're in. However, we were fine with the location and welcomed the exercise. It would be nice though if there WERE places to eat, drink, etc. in the immediate vincinity.

We had an upstairs room in the main building. If these rooms are considered the lesser of the other rooms(in separate buildings), then you can't go wrong. Our room was very nice, clean, and the size was good. We enjoyed walking right out to the beach, and enjoying the fireworks right there. It's nice to be on the beach and have the option of going back and forth to your room if need be. Coffee was provided, free, starting at 7am. I noticed there was a small area around the back with a grill. Not sure if this was the owner's private space, or if it was open for guests to use. If so, it wasn't mentioned, but would've definitely been enough reason to rate 5 stars. After a horrible experience a couple of years ago at another PP motel, the Windswept was a pleasant and refreshing new find. I'm pretty sure this is our new spot when in Point Pleasant.

1 Thank Wendy_1960
New Jersey
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The location is excellent - the rooms are adequate - simple, tight accommodations. All one really needs to shower and rest between beach visits. Not someplace to spend time or invite friends.

The owners and staff (not including the cleaning staff) are very unwelcoming and act almost as if you are inconveniencing them. With all of the "Restore the Shore" efforts, one would think business owners would be welcoming but this is not the case with the Windswept owners. One example; upon checking in, we were made to wait while an owner and staff member finished an obviously personal conversation. After giving our reservation information, a call came in which was also personal in nature (sounded like old friends catching up, laughing), which left us waiting again. Very poor first impression and very unprofessional. Additionally, I asked for a suggestion as to where to eat and an owner simply pointed to a pile of menus. I looked through some of the menus then asked if she had a personal recommendation to which she replied, "Depends what you like. Is that all?" then left the office. Unnecessary and rude.

Housekeeping, however, was very polite and did their job well in my experience.

I read a few reviews that mention the freshly painted rooms with new carpet - I want to clarify that does not seem to be the case for the entire hotel. Most likely the downstairs rooms were repainted due to Sandy, but the upstairs rooms are nothing special, nothing new.

Overall, with all of the available businesses struggling to reopen throughout the Jersey Shore, I would rather spend my money someplace with more welcoming, less rude hosts.

1 Thank S M
Totowa, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Just got back from a mini-vaycay weekend getaway at Windswept Motel and we were pleasantly surprised by this family owned establishment. First off, Windswept motel is located right on the beach on the quieter side of Point Pleasant but walking distance to the hustle and bustle of the boardwalk. The amenities were wonderful. The room we stayed in (211) was very clean and had everything you need for down the shore. The room included a king-sized bed, a refrigerator and a balcony which over looked the ocean. The motel had a decent sized pool and a deck to sun-bath. Our stay also included beach passes which is golden since Point Pleasant charges you to go on the beach. The staff was so friendly and helpful if you needed anything. I would definitely recommend the Windswept Motel for your next Jersey Shore visit. :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple