“Fun in the sun”

Sand Pebble Motor Lodge
Honesdale, Pennsylvania
“Fun in the sun”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The Sand Pebble Motor Lodge, My wife and I enjoyed our stay clean room with a comfy bed  nice staff good food at the pool with Joe & Fran’s close to the beach reasonable priced. Look forward to going back. The Dulay’s

Room Tip: No bad rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dulay369

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Scranton
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I hadn't been to Point Pleasant in about ten years and I took my nieces and nephew on a spur of the moment trip. I normally vacation in Cape May but Point Pleasant was closer so I just decided to go there. The motel is in an excellent location and the rooms are very clean. The maid service was very good. The pool, although a little small, was very clean and well taken care of. I like the fact that there is a little food area where you can buy breakfast, lunch, sunscreen, floats, etc. Prices at the food cabana were reasonable. The air conditioner worked great. The management was nice and unobtrusive. Got me a light bulb and a hair dryer when I needed one.
Cons - the location of our room was right next to the door to go downstairs so every time it slammed shut, you could easily hear it. No fun at 8am with three sleeping kids. There are no amenities besides a fridge. No coffee pot, no microwave, no nothing. Pillows not very comfy. The toilet is not attached to the floor correctly. It definitely poses a hazard. Not sure if the owners know and I didn't bother to tell them. In essence, if you are looking for a no frills room to just put your head at night it's fine. I probably wouldn't go back because I like a motel with more amenities. I should have done more research before I booked it. My fault. I thought it was expensive being that it was "just a room" but at the Jersey shore you expect it. Nothing is cheap and that's ok. Perfect for kids but not if you like amenities or luxury. I think I'll stick to Cape May.

Room Tip: If you're a sleeper or have small kids request a room AWAY from the door to get into the second...
3 Thank ruby7773
sandpebblenj, Owner at Sand Pebble Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
I want to thank the reviewer for the 3 star review and for their patronage. I just want to correct what I feel are a few few factual errors in this review,

Firstly, the reviewer gave us one star for value. I do quite a bit of research before I come up with our summer rates. I can say without a doubt we have the most competitive rates in town given our prime location.Secondly, the guest states we have no amenities other than a fridge. I do not feel that is not fair. Every room has the fridge, HDTV, free parking, heated pool, deeply discounted beach passes. Blow dryers, Irons and alarm clocks are all available upon request.

Thirdly, I would like to explain why we do not include free coffee with the room. Our snack bar is a leased entity. The snack bar is very popular with all our guests , just check out the Trip Advisor reviews. If we gave away coffee (his biggest seller) it would be very hard for the snack bar to stay open and we would lose a popular service.

I too have been to Cape May many times and really enjoy it. However a nice in a prime location rooms in Cape May will cost you substantially more than our rooms or most other rooms in PPB. Furthermore, the amenities you get in in most places in Cape May will be quite similar to ours., but you will pay much more.

That being said, I do appreciate the review and wish the very best for the reviewer on their next trip to the shore.
Poughquag, New York
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Great hotel, very nice, very clean, great and friendly service, great location 1/2 block from beach and boardwalk, very quiet at night, nice pool and snack bar, good rates and just an overall very good experience.

Room Tip: Some doors to rooms are inside, and some outside. Try to get what you want.
1 Thank Laura3223
Callicoon Center, New York
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Sand Pebble has a great location. I/2 block to beach/boardwalk. Rooms are updated and clean. Pool area is relaxing and the snack bar serving breakfast and lunch was a hit with the kids. Beds were comfy and it was quiet at night. I have four children and had 2 rooms which were connected. Rate was reasonable. Will be a return traveler next summer for our "shore" vacation

1 Thank melissa j
Hawthorne, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 August 2013

The Sand Pebble is a very well managed motel. The rooms are clean and the grounds are also clean and well maintained. The pool area is very relaxing and also very clean. When you're looking for a day off the beach you cant beat hanging out by the pool. Joe and Fran running the snack bar brings the pool experience over the top. I've been vacationing at the Sand Pebble Motor lodge over four years. I just returned from our stay there and I'm already looking forward to going back next year. Over all, very nice Jersey Shore vacation. I would highly recommend The Sand Pebble Motor Lodge.

2 Thank CraigCapitelli
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I will start off by saying that the woman (Marilyn) who worked at the front desk was very pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, that is the only good thing I can say about this place.

We stayed in a one queen bed room. At first glance, it appeared clean and suitable for a weekend at the beach. After getting settled in, my husband and I noticed a few things terribly wrong with this room as listed below.
1- It appeared that the TV, which was a flat screen attached to the wall with the wires hanging, had not been dusted in over a month.
2- The dresser drawers were dirty! One had dust and pieces of paper and nastiness in it while the other had a large black sticky spot that would not come up along with dust and pieces of paper. Please note there were only two drawers on the dresser along with one desk and one nightstand.
3- A dirty, used towel was left balled up under the edge of the bed.
4- There was no bed skirt/sheet/protective cover on the box spring.
5- The in room phone was disgusting. It has piles of dirt in the corners and crevices and on the ear piece. The message waiting light also constantly blinked in and out even though there was no message. I used some wipes to clean the phone as best as I could before touching it.
6- The handles for the sink and tub along with the plastic shower curtain tension rod were also disgusting. They have black mold/mildew all around the edges and are in desperate need of cleaning. The shower curtain was also yellowed at the bottom and the liner needed a desperate cleaning as it had nasty moldy spots in the creases and the corners.
7-The extra blanket was sticky and stained along one edge. I threw this blanket on the floor to be replaced but it appeared to have been folded and put back unless all of their blankets are stained and sticky.
8- There was no clock in the room.
9- There was no closet just a rack attached to the wall.
10- There was no luggage rack.
11- There was only one night stand
12- There were no blinds on the front window. It only had a curtain that couldn't be left open since it was facing the street and people constantly walked by on the sidewalk in front of the window and looked in.
13- There was minimal lighting. One small overhead and two lamps. None of which provided much light. The room was dark and you couldn't open the curtains unless you wanted to provide a free show for the passersby.
14- There was no " Do not disturb" door sign. As there was no safe in the room, i did not want the "cleaning" personnel to come in but there was no way to notify them of this.
15- The top lock on the door did not work from the outside.
My husband and I stayed the two allotted nights with improvises such as wiping every surface with disinfectant and laying towels in the drawers. The towels and sheets were white and clearly clean so we at least had them as a saving grace.

Overall, I would not stay here and I would not recommend this place to anyone. I really wish I could say that they won me over with the kindness of the staff but sometimes that just isn't enough.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you pay the deposit.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaniL216
sandpebblenj, Owner at Sand Pebble Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you reviewer for your lengthy and detailed review. Our reputation for cleanliness and customer service is unmatched in the Point Pleasant area. As you can see by our trip advisor reviews the overwhelming majority of customers leave very satisfied with their stay. In fact, this year we also won the Trip advisor Certificate of Excellence. Over the course of a summer, were we rent several thousand rooms, we will occasionally make a mistake. Clearly, if this review is accurate, the maid dropped the ball prior to your check in. I sincerely apologize for that.

The unfortunate part of the review is that none of the numerous complaints that are outlined in this review were brought to or attention during the guest's stay. Virtually every item, with one or two exceptions, would have been addressed promptly. Many items the room "lacks" we have available at the front desk for guest use. I have no doubt we would have taken care of most of the list within 45 minutes. Certainly, it would have been taken care of in less time then it took to write this lengthy review. We pride ourselves on our clean rooms and great customer service. If you stay with us and you have a problem, please give us the opportunity to correct the issues. I know you will be pleased with the result.
Kingston, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Great place and location. A friend and I stayed Friday night-Sunday morning, and we don't regret choosing this place. Clean room, air conditioned, right next to the beach and boardwalk. The only issue we had was people smoking weed in the room directly across from us. Other than that, everything was perfect. Definitely coming back down for another stay!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends