“Family time”

White Sands Oceanfront Resort & Spa
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We did have a good time at the hotel. The location is great, by the beach and boardwalk. The housekeeping was very efficient and accommodating. The pool staff was also very nice; however the front desk staff was not very welcoming or accommodating at all.
The phone in my room was broken, they sent a worker but could not be fixed; front desk acted like didn’t care. Everything that I needed I had to chase housekeeping or use my phone to call front desk.
I suggest bring your own pillow, we thought pillows and bed were not too comfortable. If you intent to have any breakfast or snacks in the bedroom bring silverware/cups/paper towel. They give you one cup and a bowl.
Our room had couple things broken but didn’t not affected our stay.
If you like Japanese food, the restaurant has an amazing sushi.
Definitely stay at the resort side. Also make sure about your room. Even if the rooms have the same price, they are different inside. Our room had 2 queens and a sofa with small fridge; room next to ours, had 3 queen beds for the same price.
We paid $400.00 a night; not sure if the hotel is worth the fee, but White Sands was the best hotel in the area we could find. We travel a lot and I like to stay in good places.
I recommend this place and would go back. I suggest the management to install a shower by the beach area and make guests to shower before entering the pool. I saw kids full of sand jumping in the pool. They have a small faucet that I used to clean my kids; but that should be a rule. By the end of the day pool was so dirty.

1  Thank tsummer00
Christina Chiai... R, Owner at White Sands Oceanfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

I am glad you enjoyed your family time at the White Sands. I would be interested in speaking with you in regards to the differences in rooms verses cost. We do go over and beyond for all our guests. I apologize if someone at the desk was not accommodating. We pride ourselves on our customer service. I will look into this complaint quite seriously. I do hope you will return to the White Sands again.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We reserved here based on favorable online reviews. Upon reserving, the person I spoke to was very upfront about adjoining room scenario but assured me door would be secured. Unfortunately, that was an assurance that did not come to pass, frightening our three year old child. It wasn't made any better by the adjacent party's ensuing behavior the following three evenings best described as late night frat parties. Wouldn't recommend this property to anyone wanting a family vacation environment. In addition, quality of room versus room rate was WAY out of proportion. Our first time to Point Pleasant. Beautiful place somewhat "uglied" by our unfortunate choice of venue for accommodations.

2  Thank David D
Christina Chiai... R, Owner at White Sands Oceanfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

You can trust us 100%. We were upfront, as we always are. However, in this case our housekeeper in that building made an error. She somehow believed that the two rooms were rented together. She has been disciplined for the error and we profusely apologized to both parties. As for the noise complaint, we will look into how we can correct the sound from traveling from room to room in an adjoining room style. In the meantime, we do have many room styles that do not have adjoined doors. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I do hope you will return to the White Sands.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We definitely ended up having a very relaxing and enjoyable vacation, but it didn't start out that way. After traveling to The White Sands in June from Northern Bergen County with another family to view the resort and rooms, we decided to book our vacation at this hotel.. Based on recommendations from the front desk, and after viewing specific rooms for our 6 night stay, we decided to reserve two rooms in Building 200 - Room #203 and #204. Unfortunately, when checking in we were advised that we were in Room #202 and Room #203. Yes, all the rooms are basically the same, but Room #202 is definitely not as nice as the others. First of all, it is now further away from the beach, patio, etc. Secondly, it is set up in the mirror opposite of the other rooms due to the door entrance being on the other side, so even though we were paying for a room with a semi-kitchen set up, we had no bistro table, only chairs and our couch didn't face the TV. Also, for rooms costing $375-$400 a night, the kitchen area should be set up as one. We had one glass and maybe 3 dishes, a few butter knives and forks. Needless to say, we didn't eat any meals in our room.

That being said, we did have a really good time at The White Sands and the location of building 200 is ideal for the pools and beach. We can't say enough about the staff we met at the pool, in particular the woman who came around late in the day to tidy up the pool area and chairs. Also, the social director was so very friendly; she made you feel like she's known you forever.

Would I recommend this hotel, yes I would. The beds are very comfortable, the bathrooms have been nicely renovated, the grounds staff couldn't be nicer or more helpful, and housekeeping was very efficient and accommodating. Just don't get your heart set on one particular room, you could be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms on resort side are closest to pools and beach.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Christina Chiai... R, Owner at White Sands Oceanfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

I am so glad that you had a relaxing vacation staying at the White Sands. We really do try very hard to make our guests stay perfect. We try to fulfill all our guests requests including specific room numbers, location and amenities. However, in order to accommodate everyone, it is not always possible. I am sorry you were disappointed. We take your comments very seriously and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night at the main hotel portion of the WS.

The trip started off on a sour note as our card was charged in full for the room before our arrival. We weren't informed about this at booking and had intended to pay cash. When I called back to inquire about this, I was very rudely informed that this was their policy and I should have been told. Sadly, the front desk staff didn't improve in person.

Our room was on the 2nd floor of the main hotel and I got nervous as we walked past long exposed wires by the salon/spa area but the room was beautiful, fresh and airy. We had 2 king beds and a balcony and it was perfect for us and our toddler and infant. The hotel also provided a crib which was really helpful. My ONLY qualms about the room were the shower head (terrible) and the fact that we were across the hall from housekeeping quarters so it was very noisy. Otherwise it was lovely. And the indoor pool is a great attribute in case of rain for the kids.

My biggest issue with the White Sands was getting to the beach. The main hotel is across a busy road. Once you cross, you need to go through the pool area to get to the beach. This involves climbing a set of stairs to get up to pool and then going down a steep set to get to the beach. No problem until you add a baby, toddler and beach cart full of stuff. There are literally NO ramps to the pool or beach area. I have a huge bruise on my leg from lugging the stuff down the steps. To get up to the Firefly restaurant there is also another set of stairs, no ramp, making it quite difficult to get a stroller up there. Not cool for a family resort.

My other disappointment was the lack of dining options. There's a pub in the main hotel that was barely open and the Firefly Oceanside restaurant by the pool. The Firefly is probably one of the most terribly managed restaurants in Point Pleasant. Complete chaos even when it's half full. Food takes forever to come out and service is super slow. It's a shame too because the breakfast we had was really good and with proper management it could be a fabulous addition to the hotel and pool.

All in all we had a really nice stay at the White Sands. My 3 year-old loved the pool area and it was a 10 minute walk from Jenkinson's. We'd definitely return but I really hope they fix some of the issues.

Stayed: August 2014

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you plan to return. Just to clarify, we do have a ramp to the pool areas. The access is in the center of the facility by the 300 building. You can also get onto the beach presently from the New York Avenue entrance. The access to the beaches are a temporary fix until the state comes in and completes the upcoming Dune Project to protect our coastline. Once that is complete, we will create new entrances to the beach. Thank you for taking the time to review the Resort and for sharing some of your suggestions. All of them will be taken into consideration so that we can further please our guests.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

The White Sands is a lovely place, offering many amenities for a family vacation with toddlers. I enjoyed having everything so closely accessible, pools, beach, restaurant, ice cream shop. I had reserved two rooms in Bldg 400 (resort). Rooms are very clean and staff is very accommodating to requests. My only issue was that I was told all rooms were remodeled as a result of Sandy storm. Friends of ours stayed in Bldg 300 which was completely remodeled with new bathrooms. Bathrooms in Bldg 400 were not remodeled. My son's room was damp and air conditioner was noisy. I would definitely return but I would request rooms in Bldg 300.

Room Tip: Bldg 400 should be last choice as it faces parking lot and residential houses that were impacted by...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review the White Sands Resort. We do have lots of rooms styles to choose from. I am glad you found the room clean. We will be continuing our renovations this season. There is only so much we could do at one time. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I want to be nice because we enjoyed our stay, property was clean, room was great. However...upon check in they surprise you with a $50 a day damages deposit...wow...never saw that coming. Some of the front desk staff were absolutely miserable...a real downer when your excited to be there...but all in all...stay here...now you know some of our experiences.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review the White Sands. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and our facilities. I apologize that the staff member was less than pleasant that dealt with you. That is something that we seriously frown upon. Immediate adjustments have been made. As for the $50 a day authorization, all hotels and other rental like businesses take an authorization to cover them from loss or damages. It is an authorization only, and unless there is a problem with the room, it is completely returned to you upon check out. I am sorry you were not prepared for that process. I look forward to seeing you again next year!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The white sands is a great family get away especially with kids. very clean , people are friendly, especially the room manager super nice guy , would recommend friends . the only down fall is the place where you can eat it isn't open all the time .

Room Tip: If you travel with family get a suite so kids have room and you can eat in occasionally.
1  Thank meme1233

Thank you for taking the time to review the White Sands. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. The Restaurant went through a lot of changes in its maiden year. I think they will have all the kinks worked out by next season. We look forward to seeing you again next year!