“Needs a lot of work”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Tennessee
“Needs a lot of work”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Hotel was flooded in the heavy August rains with the higest flood level ever: about 3 1/2 - 4 ft in the ground floor. We were there for a reunion so I did not choose the place and would have preferred someplace else. They had just reopened 2 weeks before and were still replacing carpet and making repairs on the 1st floor; no rooms were usuable on the 1st floor, only the 2nd floor. There is not an elevator for general use although you can use what appears to be a luggage elevator but it is very small: 1 person with luggage or maybe 2 people depending on your sizes; but you still have to negotiate some stairs to get to the rooms There was 1 bullb missing from a lamp and 2 others did not work in the outlets they were connected to, the refirgerator had no power, plus neither of the 2 phones worked all possibly due to the flooding. It took 3 hours for the 'maintenance' man to get it all working. Particularly troubling was he started to break off the grounding pin for a 3 pin plug so it could be put into a 2 pin outlet, before I told him "NO"-he ended up using a 2 outlet to 6 outlet adaptor. We had a suite and both LCD TV's did work as did the WiFi. The smoking rooms are at the far end of the hall but smoke odors 'filtered' into the non-smoking rooms and areas, after 2 days and nights all our clothes smelled of smoke. The towels are cleaned on site but also had a slight cigarette smoke odor, more so when dampened after use. On the plus side the beds were comfortable.

Access from NJ rte 23 is on the northbound side so if you are southbound, or returning to the hotel from the north you have to go another ~1/2 mile to a controlled turnaround point in order to access from the northbound side. Similar for leaving if you want to go southbound.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are quieter as they face the river and wooded area. The west side faces the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
Hamilton, New York
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I travel a lot for work and stay in a lot of hotels. Typically, I don’t write a lot of reviews, but I felt it a public duty to dissuade as many people as possible from staying at this hotel. Upon arrival, the aesthetic of the hotel appears to be fairly agreeable, with this continuing as you enter into the lobby. However, unfortunately, this is where it ends. As you move away from the lobby area towards the rooms, it becomes apparent that the general upkeep of the hotel requires serious attention, with this becoming readily apparent upon entry into the room. For example, all the furniture is very worn and damaged to some degree. With regards to the bathroom and in particular the hot tub, the less said, the better. Also, although the hotel doesn’t appear to be in a particularly undesirable location, it should be noted that the additional entrances to the hotel do not have any security measures enabled. The hotel also attempted on day three to tell me I needed to check out, despite them me showing my reservation. I was merely greeted with a “that’s weird; our reservation system does not show your reservation for today”; I was as equally perplexed, as I had booked through the Best Western Website. The only people I would advise to stay at the hotel are those that have no other recourse to stay at another location.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Pompton Plains hotels

Montreal
Reviewed 26 October 2011

This hotel was booked for me by someone else so I knew very little about it before I got there. To say that this hotel is way below par is an understatement.
The hotel is generally unkempt. The furniture was old and rundown. The carpets looked liked they had not been cleaned in a very long time. The hallways had a terrible odour that was something between smokey and musty.
The rooms are very dark with old furniture and they were quite dirty. The biggest problem was the cockroach I found on my bed. Needless to say that was my cue to depart immediately. When we brought this to the attention of the desk manager he was quite nice but very matter of fact about as if he had heard this before.
I would recommend that anyone thinking about staying at this hotel stays away, there are other much better properties in the area. This is not a hotel that anyone should stay at until they clean up their act.

Room Tip: Don't stay here in any room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Northern N.J.
Reviewed 15 October 2011

A handicapped Friend had a reservation and learned upon arrival that they had no room for him ! Sure they are renovating, but that's no excuse for not notifying Customers with such special reservations that they could no longer be accomodated. I'm thinking they didn't want to lose the reservation and guessed they could pull off the old 'switcheroo' ? Too bad, this was once a pretty decent place to stay.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Orlando FL
Reviewed 1 October 2011

The hotel is still "recovering" from Hurricane Irene damage. SO, no elevator with all available rooms on the second floor, no hot breakfast. BUT, that will change when the work is done. That being said, the room was clean and attractive. After the long drive, I used the jacuzzi in the bathtub and never wanted to get out. I NEVER take a bath, but purely enjoyed this one. The bathroom sink seemed extremely low, for some reason, I'm not accustomed to bending over that far when brushing my teeth.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank OrlandoFLTravelgirl
Acton, MA
Reviewed 14 September 2011

This is a nice facility but it is not managed well. When we arrived on a Friday night, there was a wedding scheduled. Instead of having the cocktail reception room ready for the guests, all the guests (100 of them) were assembled in the lobby. We could barely get by them to check in. When we got to the check-in counter, we could not hear because of all the talking. Then we had to wind our way through them to get to our room.

We wanted to have dinner at their restaurant. Well their restaurant is just the bar. The music was turned up so loud we could not hear ourselves think, much less talk. The bartender completely ignored us because he was busy serving drinks to the wedding guests. We got up and left and went someplace else.

They grouped both smoking and non-smoking rooms on the same floor. That does not work because the smoke seeps from one room to the hallway to other rooms.

The side doors had been propped open and the smoke from people outside smoking came into the building.

There was a trash can on the second floor that REEKED Friday and all day Saturday until someone emptied it Sunday.

The included breakfast was fairly good.

Our room did not have towels. When we went to the desk to ask for them, they gave us the towels and we had to take them upstairs ourselves instead of having housekeeping deliver them.

They did not have any kind of mat in front of the ice machine, so the floor was wet and slippery. That was a major safety hazard.

I am not sure I would stay there again until I knew all the issues had been resolved.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I have been to 2 to 5 star hotels and have traveled a lot. This hotel indeed ranks high on my list. Well, everything was great: check-in, service, room (beautiful washroom with jacuzzi), bar, food, and pool. Beds were very comfortable, ample of parking. Great hot buffet breakfast. Absolutely fantastic. Entry to hotel is bit tricky - you have to be careful and watch round the curve. Thanks to staff and management to keep the hotel in great shape. Our guest from Cuba was thrilled to stay in this hotel.

Ajay

Residence Inn Wayne
#2 of 7 in Wayne
Ramada Wayne Fairfield Area
Best Western Plus Fairfield Executive Inn

Been to Best Western Regency House Hotel? Share your experiences!