“very dissapointed”
Review of The Peacock Inn

The Peacock Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Princeton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed in the Inn one night and enjoyed the food immensely. Great location. Nice staff.
However, the room we purchased was miniscule. No room to place a water glass on the side table as there was no side table. No chair. No desk. No closet. Had to toss the suitcases on the floor and live off the floor. No closet place to hang clothing, couple of hooks and two hangers. Bathrooms were small with limited water pressure. And we upgraded to a DELUX room, whatever that was supposed to mean.
Main door to hallway was plastic and thin as a sheet of paper. Noise from upstairs room about 11 PM reminded me of a Paul Simon song about the room next door. Could hear everything clearly.
Staff was great. They seem used to guests not being satisfied with small rooms and took our comments in stride.
We ate a prix fix dinner in the main dining room which was delicious. Food and service was fantastic.Loved the food and service. Local offerings well prepared. The wine parings were sadly lacking, however. We choose the upgraded wine pairings which were matched from the open by the glass bottle list billed as premier that would hardly appeal to a college student. Returned three of the six selections as undrinkable and were offered no alternatives. No credit, no offer of another glass. One we actually refused prior to pouring and two we shared a glass on as i thought they might not appeal to my wife. Note, we are wine snobs so take this in stride. But the charge was worthy of a decent glass.
Lets figure out a better way to visit old Nassau and stay in town. Someone needs to open a high quality lodging place in town!

Room Tip: Good luck...don"t think they have any.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carl F
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

First of all, I would like to thank you for your comments regarding the food and service. It is what we pride ourselves on, and I have shared that kindness with our team. I apologize that your expectations were not exceeded during your stay and time at The Peacock Inn. We always strive to have our guests leave after having a positive and memorable experience, and I am sorry that you did not enjoy that experience that so many others do.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our overnight stay was memorable. While poking around on TA at first I saw only big chain hotels and was glad to find the Peacock Inn, which was well reviewed and close to the university. Upon arrival we were surprised with an upgrade (I’m a Choice Hotels member) and were blown away by gorgeous room 204, which was large, elegant, and comfortable. Kudos to the decorators, who swathed the stylish property in icy blue-grays with warm browns and beiges, smart and understated. Many details contributed to the experience: a Ben Shahn print above the historic mantelpiece; Frette slippers; Molton Brown toiletries; and the cool rain shower. Extra room touches included delectable macarons and a water carafe on a silver tray with nice stemware. Sleep came easily beneath snowy white linens in the vast king bed. In the a.m. we enjoyed a simple, satisfying breakfast on the relaxing front porch (my husband cooked up his own waffles) while admiring the lush landscaping. Plus, every single person we dealt with, whether front desk, bar, kitchen personnel, or valet, was smiling and upbeat. Want to stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott S, General Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for the fantastic review of your experience at The Peacock Inn. We really appreciate your kind words and I have shared them with the staff. Everyone is so appreciative of the nice things that you said.

I loved reading your review about the sleep that you had, it really painted a picture of what guests have experienced, and what guests can expect when they stay at The Peacock Inn.

Again, I would like to thank you for choosing The Peacock Inn and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We really enjoyed our 2 night stay at the Peacock. The restaurant was so good that we ate here two nights in a row - fun bar (when it's open) with great drinks. We stayed on the top floor in a king room (delux). Great sheets, amenities - the pillow was a bit hard for me but the bed was comfie. Yes, the room is on the small size, but the charm of the hotel and the awesome bathroom make up for that. Loved the rain shower, the Moulton Brown soaps/shampoos and the water they left in a decanter. Very charming, great staff, super convenient to Princeton. Breakfast was disappointing (how about some protein?) but otherwise very nice - we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking your time to review your experience at The Peacock Inn. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time here. It is always great when guests are able to enjoy everything that The Peacock Inn has to offer, from the rooms to the restaurant and bar. I am so glad that you enjoyed the restaurant both evenings.

Princeton is such a unique town with so much to offer. With it being such a short walk from The Peacock Inn, it is great that you ventured into town!

I have shared your review with our staff, and the compliments about the service is great to hear and very appreciated! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed at the Peacock Inn during alumni weekend in May 2014.

Pros:
Bathroom is very nice- Rain shower head, toiletries, slippers and comfy robe
Furnishings are top notch
Very comfy bed
Free water in the room
Make sure you dine here, and don't leave until you do! This is a place where foodies go. Skip breakfast.
Staff was very helpful

Cons:
Parking is valet. When valet is not on duty, parking your car at night can be a tight squeeze.
Breakfast is uneventful. Bagels, danish, coffee...
No elevator

I would definitely stay here again. This was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking your time to review your experience at The Peacock Inn during alumni weekend. It is such an amazing weekend to be in Princeton. The camaraderie and school spirit is truly incredible.

I am so glad that you were able to experience everything that The Peacock Inn has to offer, including the restaurant. We have been written up as one of the top 25 restaurants in the state of New Jersey, and we are always so happy when a hotel guest also dines with us. I would also like to thank you for the compliment regarding our staff, I have shared your kind words with them.

In regards to your cons, being that it was alumni weekend, we were extremely busy which lead to the crowded parking lot. The Peacock Inn is a mansion from the late 1700s and when it was renovated we looked into putting in an elevator, but unfortunately there was no room.

We look forward to seeing you the next time that you are in Princeton!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just returned from a weekend away in Princeton. We stayed at the Peacock Inn and loved it. The room was small, as expected, but very "high end" furnishings and bathroom. The breakfast was delicious each morning and we appreciated having some daily newspapers available at breakfast. We were pleased to have help with our luggage to our room and with parking the car. We walked to everything in Princeton and didn't need the car which was nice. I would stay here again when visiting the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott S, General Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for taking your time to review your great stay and experience at The Peacock Inn! We are so happy that you enjoyed your time not only at The Peacock Inn, but in Princeton as well. It is such a great town, and we are so lucky to be less than 2 blocks away!

Service is of utmost importance to us, and I am glad that you were well taken care of.

We look forward to seeing you the next time that you are in the Princeton area.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Peacock Inn is a charming little B & B within steps of Princeton University.
My husband and I stayed in room 207. It was small but packed with many amenities. Great linens, amazing spa shower with five heads, robe, slippers, TV, bedding, super comfy bed and lovely decor. SUPER clean! Wish they had fresh flowers and not silk arrangements in the foyer and rooms.

Dinner was superb and the bar is fantastic. Get the cheese plate and dessert. Worth the splurge.
The negatives- loud noise from the street traffic and the breakfast. Skip the breakfast at the Inn and walk down to one of the many great restaurants in Princeton. Coffee was weak, ran out of cream and no one checked on it, stale pastries, stale granola, waffles a la"Hampton Inn".
Ick.

Kudos to the check in staff. A darling young woman working the reception desk recommended several restaurants and printed out menus while we unpacked. Very good customer service. Bar staff is awesome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank matissegirl

Thank you for taking your time to review your experience at The Peacock Inn. The staff and I are so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy all aspects of The Peacock Inn, including the restaurant and bar. The cheeses that you can choose from for the cheese plate are truly incredible and tasty!

I have shared your review with our entire staff, and specifically appreciate your mentioning of their service. I am also very glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities!

I would also like to mention that I apologize for not having the breakfast meet your expectations, we are trying some different things to enhance the complimentary continental breakfast.

I look forward to seeing you the next time that you are in the Princeton area.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I'm not a big B&B fan. Too much faux charm, too few amenities that matter, no bell service, and all provided at a premium price.

But the Peacock Inn, has almost all of the bases covered. First, the rooms are nicely appointed in a pleasant contemporary style. And the bathrooms -- at least ours -- was well above average in finishes and toiletries. The downside is room size... and in our case, a total absence of closet space. Room size is a likely a function of trying to squeeze king size beds into spaces that are just too tight. Our room had the desired king -- but as a result, nowhere to sit down save a fragile and uncomfortable wooden desk chair.

That said, we were comfy. The bed and linens were very nice, and as noted, the bathroom very serviceable. Plus, parking is not a problem, and there was a "bellman" to help us with our bags. These are the basics, but it's amazing how many B&Bs don't offer them.

Lastly, the Peacock has one of the better bars and restaurants in the area. Maybe the best. So if you're looking for a short stay option in close proximity to downtown Princeton, and are comfortable not having all the chintz B&Bs seem to covet, this could be your place. We'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

I would like to thank you for another review regarding your time at The Peacock Inn. It is always wonderful to hear from a guest about their good experience. Your comments are encouraging, as we are meeting our goals of exceeding our guests expectations. We consider ourselves a luxury boutique hotel that focuses on the guest, and guest service.

When the inn was purchased in 2006 by the new owners, there were 17 bedrooms and 9 bathrooms (shared in the hallways), and after the 3 year renovation, there are now 16 rooms, all with their own well appointed bathrooms with heated floors and amazing showers! The rooms are on the smaller side, but we make sure that everything is fully thought out.

I am glad that you were able to experience everything that The Peacock Inn has to offer, which includes the restaurant and bar.

We look forward to seeing you back at The Peacock Inn in the near future!