Extended Stay America - Princeton - West Windsor
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“A dump”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My 80 yo parents, myself and 9yo daughter ended up here after water damage in my parents home occurred. It was arranged by their insurance co. We requested the handicapped room - it is a small room with one bed. A regular bathtub with handrails and a fold down seat that would tear the skin off of anyone's behind should they try to use it as a way to enter the tub. Toilet had rails, but no raised seat. Not enough room for a wheelchair to turn around in bathroom. The second room had 2 beds and was slightly larger but cost $108 and was next to the exit stairway. When trying to sleep it sounded like a herd of elephants was running around the room. When the front desk was informed, they were not willing to investigate and were hesitant to intervene. This went on until 11:30pm. No pool, no gym, no frills. The hotel was out of their "complimentary" shampoo. The breakfast consisted of coffee, a few pieces of fruit, cereal bars and some pre-wrapped muffins. Maid service is just 1x/week should you choose to stay that long. There is a mini kitchen, but nothing, and I mean nothing, is stocked in your room. Like the shampoo, conditioner and soap you have to ask for it (glasses, towels, coffee pot). For the price it was old, loud, nas a terrible breakfast, a marginal "handicapped" room, and is certainly no frills. I would never stay there again, and I don't need a lot from a hotel to be happy.

Room Tip: Stay away from the exit stairs, handicapped room is for those who are mostly independent, bring your...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Julie P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The price was good, but that's really about it. No breakfast, no wake up call, vending machine didn't work, so no bottled water, no exercise room, not the freshest looking/smelling hotel either. Service was "ok" ... just a depressing place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Randi N

Travellers are raving about these Princeton hotels

seattle, wa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I don't even have the patience to list the awful everything about this property. Just a monumentally awful stay. Service was downright surly, accomodations horrible. Please don't give them your hard earned money. I contacted the GM and she sent me a canned email offering me a free night, NO thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sun_seattle
Newton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

It was one of the busiest times of the year for this hotel and my calls there have always been met with courtesy. We arrived late, however, and the evening staff person kept my 88 year old mother waiting while she finished something on the computer. She could not accommodate our months old request to have our rooms near each other so we could assist her. That was understandable due to it being graduation week. Upon entering our non-smoking room, we were hit with the intense reek of cigarette smoke; now back home, it is still in our clothes and hair. Upon, arrival, there was no soap in the room. I had to go to reception and request some and bring it to my mother's room and then to ours, covering the expanse of the hotel, so tired. The beds are comfortable and the rooms were quiet and spacious. I would stay again for the price, but pack soap and check for the smell before unpacking everything.

Room Tip: Smell it for cigarettes first before unpacking.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank samten6
Frankfort, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Subject: Extended Stay America - Princeton - West Windsor
Location: Princeton, New Jersey, United States, North America
Title: Not a good choice if you have a choice.
ID#: 204354802

The good things: very reasonably priced ($67.00/night plus taxes and fees); convenient highway location - close to downtown Princeton and Rte 1 shopping and dining; free parking; free "internet lite", which seemed to be more than adequate -- I was able to stream my favorite series without hiccups; as a woman traveling alone, I felt safe there; the fridge was a good size for a long stay.

The not-great things: higher-speed internet is only available at a per-night fee (but I cannot comment on it, as I did not subscribe to it -- though I don't think you'll need it); the hotel is not within walking distance of anything, but this is true of many of the hotels on Rte 1, except for the most expensive. In short, no big deal on these things.

The really-not-so-hot things (bigger deal things): although the staff proudly mentions the hotel's switch to an all-non-smoking facility, someone had definitely been smoking in my room at some time - it permeated my bedspread, curtains, carpeting and bath towels (after spending 2 nights running the bathroom fan all day and using high-powered air fresheners I had purchased, I finally spoke to the front desk about this. I was told they would put me on the waiting list for a different Queen Suite -- about which I never heard another word. I was also told at the front desk that the Febreeze utilized by the hotel is not as strong as what I could purchase at a local drug store -- in other words, I was on my own with the stench.)

I hold the training of the Housekeeping Dept responsible for 99% of the hotel's shortcomings -- not only did my room stink of cigarette smoke, it was pretty dirty when I checked into it, which I find, quite frankly, disgusting. When I opened the dishtowel they left for me, two long hairs fell out. Ewwww!!! I have short hair. I wouldn't be using that! The carpet showed no sign of recent vacuuming, sporting lint and paper flecks. There was a cobweb under the kitchen cabinet. The room was very dusty, especially the clock radio, which I needed to use. I didn't touch much of anything until I had purchased Lysol wipes. The bedskirt was not even put on correctly -- I had to heft the mattress and adjust the thing, as one side was up around the sheets and the other was dragging on the floor.

After 4 days, when I could finally contemplate cooking and eating there, having thoroughly cleaned everything myself, I discovered that Housekeeping had also not checked my kitchen supplies. Although I had the requisite supplies in the cabinet to cook on a cooktop, the front desk told me that my utensil drawer was missing several things that they could supply -- I had no spatula, no forks, no teaspoons -- only 2 butter knives, a large cooking spoon and a tablespoon in the utensil drawer. I decided not to cook there after all.

Other even less savory details: There was an Extended Stay America cooking magazine left for my convenience in the kitchen. How ever many years this hotel has been in operation, this may have survived from the first week. It is dog-eared, food-splattered and generally gross. I brought it home to show my husband, and he wouldn't even touch it. Yeah. That gross. I wish there were a market for such things -- this one would be priceless.

I don't mind at all the policy about "full service" Housekeeping, except...I never wanted to go to the front desk to exchange my smoky towels (I mean, really, who does this? There could be guests trying to check in...), BUT...on my second "full housekeeping" day, I had a form letter under my door, looking very well-used and many times copied, advising me that Housekeeping had been unable to clean my room due to "unfortunate circumstances". This letter further informed me that Housekeeping had left some towels and soap for me -- which they had not.

Well, that hadn't gone so well. I had tidied my room, stowing my personal items in the room I had cleaned myself, and no one showed up. I was asking myself, at this point, why I even wanted the hotel's Housekeeping staff in my room, nonetheless, I went to the front desk to let them know that my courtesy towels had not been left. (Mind you, I was given written instructions at my check-in that I could exchange towels at any time, since my length of stay only qualified for "full Housekeeping" services once a week). The agent on duty told me that she could only trade me towel-for-towel, so I would have to bring all of my used towels to her at the front desk. Hmmm...no laundry bag in the room...I had used all of towels, counting on replacement that day. So...no longer trusting that Housekeeping would change my towels tomorrow...I stuffed them all into a CVS bag (handily saved from shopping for cleaning supplies), and brought them, sort of overflowing from the bag, to the front desk. OMG! You would have thought I had brought a bag of dog poop! The desk agent made "EWWW" faces, and insisted that I try to stuff all of my towels inside the bag. Yep. She did not want to touch that bag of towels. I had a job like that once. For a couple of days. That was the moment when this became hilarious. After that, there was nothing they could do to shock me. Two exterior doors not working? Who cares -- I know the way through the lobby. Mud tracked all over the hallway to the exit by my car? No problem. A handwritten sign greeting me from the back door, advising residents to dispose of their beer cans in their room trash cans? Perfect. It fit right into the gestalt.

In short, if you, like me, are stuck with a long stay and limited funds, good luck, friend. Inspect your room. Speak up. Imagine that you are staying in a rooming house in NYC at the turn of the century, with an absentee landlord keen only on the profitability of the property. There. You've got the picture! Make the best of it. Maybe write a book. It could become a classic.

P.S. I truly feel for the staff here. What an ugly task they've been given -- how would I feel about handling the dirty towels of a stranger? And yet, all but one of them were proud of their work and expressed a willingness to help in any way they could. Two of them, I would have hired in a heartbeat. Oh, yeah, I did take pictures. They are not complimentary, so I will keep them to myself.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank JQF
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Hello, can you please confirm if this hotel gets the television channel SNY? I will be staying at the hotel for 3 months this summer and I would like to make sure. I am huge NY Mets fan, and it is very important that I find a place that will allow me to watch their games. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

had to stay here due to a water main break. nice clean room, king, fast check in. not expecting much was pleasantly surprised, 2 things needed attention... shower head was to loose and kept pointing all the way down, this is a hand held unit as well but I like old time shower's. also hair dryer was broken and had to leave with a wet head, not great in the winter time.all in all would recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo