“Mixed experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Montague
“Mixed experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Many staff members of the Chauncey Conference Center clearly reach out to guests and are as helpful as they can possibly be, especially housekeeping and restaurant staff. Thanks to all of those people. It would have been quite a negative experience if these staff members had not been so gracious. However, some were not. My room was paid for by the organization that organized the conference and I was told that I had a late check out. However, I was locked out of my room at 12:30am. I inquired at the desk, and it was clear that I was imposing on all and unreasonable to not have checked out earlier. On check in, the staff member was polite, but I arrived very late due to weather problems at the airport, no food was available and another guest could not even get a tube of toothpaste. I then went to a room in which the fan on the heating cooling system was so terribly loud that I turned it off. The room amenities were okay. I think that in my extensive travel experience, gracious and kind staff can overcome any number of physical and operational shortcomings. This was not consistent enough at Chauncey to be the case. I hope that I do not have to return. And my apologies to those who were so kind, as I don't want to misrepresent them.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Markey2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Rockville Centre, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed the wedding this past week-end in Princeton, NJ..the hotel was superb and the people very welcoming and gracious. They helped locate a box (a gift!) that I left behind in my hotel room after leaving. Thank you! Will recommend to family and friends....loved it!!

Room Tip: All the rooms were accommodating for the purpose of the wedding celebration!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Theresa C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were invited to a wedding and we divided to stay at the hotel since we have in infant. Other than the driver Tullio who was incredibly friendly and gave us an amazing tour of the town the rest of the staff was rude and combative. They over charged our room and my wife got bit by some bugs and broke out in rashes. Dirty hotel with horrible staff stay away!!!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank PersianTraveler4u
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Situated on it's own compound just outside of Princeton, it's a quiet and luxurious hotel.

Newly renovated my room was gorgeous with double height ceilings and luxurious fittings.

The bed, pillows, shower, towels and toiletries were all excellent.

There was no fridge or microwave, however, there was a Keurig coffee machine and iPod dock.

A work desk, large flatscreen TV and sofas completed the room. There was also a patio outside the back door.

Real bonus is free, onsite parking, which is very hard to come by in Princeton proper.

I highly recommend this hotel for your Princeton visit.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Pennington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

The location is great, a big space for walking, running , jogging, or just breath and relax! No traffic.
The room looks like was renovated and was clean but the AC is too noisy, with a great space.
And We asked for pizza Cesar's salad and the crust was burned mmmhhhh to bad! So when you asked it just tell them don't burn it!!!
The service was good..., but in the breakfast buffet, there's no chef outside to prepared an omelet...
Overall was good but no pool in the middle of summer is not great!

• Stayed July 2013
Bingham, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

I am extremely disappointed in my experience. It is located very far from the highway. The hotel website indicated that it was in a scenic area with a lake. Our room faced an industrial building under construction. There were construction vehicles all over the place. We never told where the elevator was and while my husband was dragging two suitcases up the stairs, an unfriendly staff member passed us and said "there is an elevator, you know." Then he continued to walk by. He never bothered to show us where the elevator was. My husband found the elevator the next day and it was located behind a door and was actually a service elevator in poor condition. The room smelled moldy and our balcony faced a construction site. We actually had to prop the outside door open to ventilate the room. The room was no where near the same as the pictures on the hotel's website. The carpet had paint all around the edges which indicated that they painted the walls but left the same old dingy carpet and didn't even take the time to make sure the paint did not get all over. The bed appeared to be a murphy bed which was weird. The shower in the bathroom was dirty and the shower curtain had rips all over it. The bed linens had tears in it. The television took 30 seconds to change channels (I timed it because it took forever to get to a different channel) and when I asked the front desk about it, the woman said "yeah, it takes a really long time to change the channel." This was a huge inconvenience as we have young children and the tv was stuck on showtime for over a minute which had a violent movie on it. We ended up leaving the tv off for our stay. The air conditioner was in poor condition and was so loud that it was hard to sleep. In addition, the floor on that side of the room vibrated so much from the air conditioner that we couldn't stand on it because it was nauseating. When I bought the room, it indicated that there was a pool on the premises yet when we went down with our kids in their suits, we were told that the pool would not be available until next year. We would never have stayed at a hotel without a pool as it is very important to our children. Our children who LOVE to stay at a hotel remarked that the hotel was the worst part of our trip. In addition, after running around and sightseeing all day, we had to return to an uncomfortable, dirty hotel room.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jlred
Albany, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

It’s been 10+ years since I last stayed here. I’m surprised at all the new construction! Wow. Business must be really good for ETS. I think the tennis courts are gone.

Our stay was quiet and pleasant. Large, clean, comfortable high ceiling room with indirect illumination. Decent size bathroom. Another nicety of the room: it had a Keurig coffeemaker. Friendly and attentive staff. Large lobby area to hang out [both indoor and outdoor areas available]. Coffee offered free in the lobby. Well appointed workout room. Nice price as we used one of the online travel book engines. Near Princeton town [less than 4 miles to the University and a really EASY drive]. The Chauncey was really quiet, so don’t expect to see any sort of night life or bar scene here. Also, I would likely go elsewhere for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Breakfast on weekdays seems to end at 9:15 am [could be mistaken on that]. Not an issue for us, as we prefer to have breakfast in Princeton town, but could annoy people without a car. Wifi fast and free.

Unlike some other posts, we found the property easy to find. There is a huge lit ETS marquee at the property entrance, although it does come up quickly as the grounds are surrounded by a perimeter of thick bushes. Once inside the massive property, the signs are small to direct you to the hotel, and a bit difficult to see in the dark. The massive property has quiet paths to walk. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business