“Glad we found the Inn at Glencairn”
Review of Inn at Glencairn

Inn at Glencairn
Ranked #1 of 3 Princeton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Visiting friends in Princeton, we looked for a good hotel but most in the area get poor ratings.Fortunately we decided to try the Inn at Glencairn. We arrived rather late but were warmly greeted by Mason who gave us the tour, giving my husband time to help himself to one of the delicious chocolate chip cookies from the jar in the living room. Our room was actually a twin (the Gulick) but they had kindly put the beds together to form a very comfortable king. Regrettably, this left one side of the bed (mine) without a bedside table or reading lamp.The bathroom was spacious and spotless. The house is very quiet and we had no difficulty sleeping. Breakfast was good on all three mornings, consisting of fruit and a cooked egg dish and some kind of breakfast meat. The texas french toast was the best. Plenty of parking and a good location close to Princeton and only a mile in the other direction to good restaurants in Lawrenceville helped make this a very good stay. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trippinbrit
Janet P, Owner at Inn at Glencairn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thanks so much for your review of the Inn at Glencairn. I am glad you decided to try the Inn after being disappointed with other lodging options in the area. Thank you for commenting on our comfortable furnishings, spotless bathroom and yummy breakfasts. We have been in the process of refurbishing our rooms, and we have added bedside tables and reading lamps as well as larger new flat screen televisions, and additional comfortable chairs where needed. These updates are nearly complete, so stay tuned! We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Friends and I stayed here recently on a visit to the Grounds for Sculpture and loved it! The inn is historic but very well maintained. Setting is lovely and quiet. Room was spacious and clean, but we also spent much time in the common areas, which are comfortable and lovely also. Wine, as well as homemade cookies and pretzels, are always available, and this was a nice touch. Breakfast was wonderful - delicious and served elegantly in the dining room. The innkeepers, Patty and Mason, were very friendly and exceptionally accommodating to our needs. Location is good - short distance into Princeton and even shorter into Lawrenceville, so great restaurants were an easy ride. We highly recommend this inn and hope to return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2014

A house with authentic antique character but fully modern comfort. After being warmly greeted by the manager, and given a tour and some background on the property, I was delighted by the 1737 farmhouse with walk-in fireplace converted into a modern family room. Since I arrived late and the other guests were asleep, I read my Mark Twain while sipping Merlot and snacking on home-make pretzels, cookies and brownies. Heading to bed quietly over the wide-board floors of the new (1830s) part of the house, I washed in the beautiful new bathroom of my spotlessly clean, quiet, and comfortable room and slept like a baby. Over home-made breakfast of fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice, and pancakes with walnuts - all served to me in an elegant dining room - I enjoyed fascinating conversations with the other guests. I spend several nights a week away from home, and this was the most pleasant in a long long time. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have been staying in Princeton for the past 20 years, but this is the first time that I have stayed at the Inn. Patty and Mason were very welcoming, friendly, and kind. They made a huge effort to make sure that I felt comfortable and welcome after the flight from the UK. Breakfast was delicious, as were the cookies, which were wrapped up so that I could take them with me to work ! The Inn is a hidden gem, and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here with my daughter for a family visit. Set back from the road, it is a charming inn. The rooms were spacious, well appointed with all the amenities (nice robes), yet decor was in keeping with the historic character of the inn. Unfortunately, due to our schedule, we were unable to sample the homemade pretzels at the afternoon reception, but if breakfast is anything to go by, I bet they were delicious.
Patty and Mason were friendly and solicitous. I would definitely stay again. Location is very convenient to Princeton and Lawrenceville.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the house are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cynthia91490
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I live locally, but we went to the Inn at Glencairne for our wedding anniversary. We arrived early and enjoyed a glass of wine and just sitting in the beautiful yard relaxing. Our room was lovely, the afternoon cookies and breakfast delicious, and the staff friendly and professional. The next day, we again just sat out in the yard reading as if we were on a real vacation rather than just a night away only 5 miles from home. We will definitely do this again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the back yard.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Iona H
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Okay, now my wife and I have been in scores of B & B's over the years, and most have been worth the visit, but I've never been in one where the older portion of the house is 275 years old, and the "newer" portion of the house is 175 years old -- and it looks better than I!
But that's not the only reason we loved this Inn. It's located about three miles away from downtown Princeton and, of course, the University, so one doesn't hear lots of noise while trying to sleep, but it's a hop, skip and a jump to lots of fun stuff to do and see. Also, it's just a mile or so from Lawrenceville, with a number of great little restaurants. It's also close to other areas that we didn't have the time to see, but will do so on our next trip the the Inn.
Perhaps the best reason for staying at this Inn is the incredible care and love that goes into taking care of it by the husband and wife team. When we stayed there (May, '14), they had only been there a few weeks themselves, having moved on from ownership of their own B & B in North Carolina. The point here is that this isn't their first rodeo, and even though they don't own the place, they care for it as if they do. Both are very personable, and the breakfasts are award-winning. The room where we stayed was quite comfortable and spacious, and I have absolutely no doubt the other four are just as good. There's even the offer of a suite of two rooms, I believe in the older section of the Inn.
All I can say is that you won't be disappointed when you stay at the Inn at Glencairn -- for the comfort, the location, the food, and the friendship.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple