“Inn at Glencairn - a Perfect Place”
Review of Inn at Glencairn

Inn at Glencairn
Ranked #1 of 3 Princeton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2009

I just returned from a stay at the IAG. This place is absolutely enchanting and relaxing. The inn has only five rooms and the staff is very accommodating. This 18th Century manor home and the grounds are immaculately kept and the innkeeper goes above and beyond with breakfast (by comparison to other B&Bs/Inns that I have visited)- which is served in the beautiful dining room. True, the menu is set by the innkeeper each day, but for those wanting lighter fare, they may choose simply to stop at the delicious fruit smoothie and a croissant. The guestroom that I stayed in and the public rooms were simply and elegantly decorated and welcoming and comfortable in every respect. The innkeeper was available to give directions, make restaurant reservations and directed me to the telephone available for guests in the parlor when my cell phone battery ran out.

I really loved staying there and I cannot think of one thing about the visit that I would have changed. If you plan to visit Princeton, Lawrenceville or the surrounding area I strongly suggest trying to get a room at Glencairn if you can.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 April 2009

I recently stayed at the Inn at Glencairn with my mother and husband for a week (we were over from London for a family occasion). We were impressed with the positive reviews we'd seen on Trip Advisor. We were certainly not disappointed with the house, which is beautiful, and with our rooms, and the inn is very convenient for Princeton. But to expand on the comments made by the correspondent who didn't enjoy the breakfasts, they were quite heavy. If you do not want stuffed french toast or eggs benedict you can ask for a 'modified' breakfast. But there seems to be very little option--we asked for cereal and we were told that it is not normally offered (although oddly enough it was offered to my mother!). One day my husband was not feeling well and couldn't eat the rich breakfast that was served to him, and he was not asked if he wanted anything else, so he went without breakfast. We were leaving very early on our last morning and although the innkeeper had left croissants for us, a bowl of fruit, and facilities to make tea and coffee, he did not see fit to set places at the table or provide basic cutlery.

There are no phones for guests to make local calls, which may be fine if you are only staying for a night or two, but as we were staying for a week and only had our foreign mobiles, this was a problem. We had given the inn number to someone before we knew that the phone is off limits to guests, and the innkeeper was quite rude to the caller.

I've taken a couple of points off for cleanliness--although the house is spotless and beautifully furnished, my mother had the same dead bugs for company in her bathroom throughout our visit!

This is a gorgeous house and should be a perfect place to stay, but they really need to improve their level of service.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Stiglet032
Inn_at_Glencairn, Owner at Inn at Glencairn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2009

Thank you for your review of the Inn at Glencairn. We are happy that you were pleased with the Inn and your rooms and disappointed that you were unhappy about a few items.

To address your comments:

We do offer large breakfasts that can be quite rich and filling. Along with a hot entrée, we offer fruit, a yogurt smoothie and a baked item. For those interested in a lighter breakfast, we offer only the fruit, smoothie and typically a croissant or muffin or cold cereal. I apologize if this was not communicated to you.

Given that we are a small, historic Inn, we are unable to wire the house for phones in every guest room. We do offer a guest phone in the Parlor that is available for local phone calls. In addition, guests can purchase a calling card for toll calls. Again, I apologize if this was not communicated to you.

As for cleanliness, I do appreciate your comments that the house was spotless. Our housekeeping staff strives for perfection; I do apologize that our housekeeper missed something in your mother's room. We will address this issue.

We endeavor to give our guests an exceptional experience in our beautiful, historic Inn. Occasionally, we find that we could have done something better or communicated something more effectively. We take every review very seriously and will take measures to ensure that all issues and concerns are addressed.

Reviewed 6 November 2008

My son and I stayed at the Inn while on a college visit . It was an enchanting respite -- elegant, peaceful, friendly. The rooms were beautifully furnished, the food was delicious and the staff helpful. I highly recommend it. Now if he can only get into Princeton . . .

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 5 November 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Inn at Glencairn on our wedding night. It was lovely and exactly what we were looking for. The innkeeper was very flexible about when we were able to come and go. The room (Connah room) was beautiful and everything was perfectly clean. Breakfast the next morning really was gourmet and we felt comfortable spending some time lounging around the historic and wonderfully kept house.

Highly recommended and will likely stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2008

I've stayed at this Inn several times. The convenient location is happily quiet and pastoral, the house interesting historically. The rooms are generally comfortable, although like any old house, you hear your neighbors through the walls. Bob is a gracious hotelier, providing useful information about the area and is extremely helpful, pleasant, and kind. The breakfasts are delicious and healthful, with plenty of fresh fruit and a fruit smoothie each day. Princeton is an expensive area, but the Inn is relatively reasonable. A good choice.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2008

I've recently spent two nights at this wonderful inn and would highly recommend it to anybody visiting the area.

Bob the innkeeper is a great sorce of local knowledge and his breakfasts are a great way to start the day.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank southgatepaul
Reviewed 24 February 2008

I'm from the UK. I stayed at the Inn at Glencairn, for business in the Princeton area, for four nights. I thought the Inn was quite one of the nicest places I've *ever* stayed in: superb breakfasts, quite extraordinarily comfortable beds and pristine bathrooms. The building dates from the mid-eighteenth century, and the decor inside matches everything nicely, though it's not over-precious. It's set in the middle of attractive woodland; it was a bit gaunt in Feb, but I'll bet it's lovely in spring or autumn. There are good social spaces. There's music off in the dining room, but not muzak; a little gentle Schubert and Mozart and Corelli. You have breakfast (0800-0930) at a big elegant common table, which isn't (I speak as one of those unsociable Brits) nearly as grisly as it sounds and actually a good idea -- I had a series of really interesting conversations with really interesting people. Wine and crackers and tea and coffee and worryingly rich biscuits/cookies are freely available in the evenings if you can't face going out and just want to slump in your room. Bob the innkeeper is a great character and a really charming host -- he couldn't have been more helpful. (I saw Janet the owner, too, but only briefly; she seemed charming.) All in all, a quite extraordinarily civilised experience. I'll definitely be going back, and (if I can wangle it) I'll be bringing the wife. There's TV and wifi but no room-phones (warning to Brits -- you'll need to get your own fancy mobile if you feel you must make contact with the outside world). Hint: to get there, get the "dinky" train to Princeton from Princeton Junction, and then get a cab. The taxi-man at PJ was a charming fellow, but found the Inn very hard to find!

Stayed: February 2008