“University Location”

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Redmond, Washington
“University Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Princeton is a pretty little town with lots of history and the Nassau Inn is in the heart of it. It is a short walk to campus or the train station, whereas shops and restaurants are just outside your door. The front desk staff is fine and my housekeeper was lovely. I had a nice quiet room on the fifth floor. The room and bathroom were spacious and clean.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear MelissaBG, Thank you for sharing your experience and we are glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy many of the wonderful things that Princeton has to offer. Our staff will be delighted to hear this positive feedback as we strive for continuous growth in customer satisfaction. I am glad you enjoyed our newly renovated bathroom and I would encourage you to return after our rejuvenation is complete to fully experience all that the Inn has to offer. We look forward to your return to the Nassau Inn. Yours in hospitality, Nick Ballas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

I would like to take this time to show my gratitude to the Hotel and all of its employees, My stay at the Nassau Inn was wonderful. Lucia, Melanie, Kyle, Jake and Danielle all went above and beyond to make my stay the most enjoyable stay I have had in recent months. I am a frequent traveler and have had my share of spotty service. Lucia was more than accommodating when I arrived, she assisted me in finding all the local attractions and shopping venues I needed due to my lack of wardrobe for my business meetings. I worked so late one evening that I didn’t have enough time to catch dinner, I called and talked to Kyle who placed a room service order for me and had it waiting in my room as I arrived late that evening. I also mentioned at passing the great and wonderful aroma of fresh baked cookies which I recently missed due to business and your staff made sure that I had the ability to enjoy at least one of those delicious treats before I left. I have to say that the service they provided will make me a repeat customer and I will come back and stay in the future. Rooms were very well kept, and respected the fact that your hotel takes on a "Green" and environmental approach to conserving resources. Location was great since I was only blocks from my business activities. The Yankee Doodle Tap Room was great, good beers on tap and history that you will never see anywhere else, "can't go wrong if Dr. Einstein liked to hang out there" in all my stay was wonderful and the staff more than willing to assist with anything I needed. Thanks to everyone who made my stay wonderful, and hope to see you again in the future. G. Rodriguez

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear G_Rodriguez007, Thank you so much for all of your kind words. Our staff is thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much and it was a pleasure to serve you. We are happy to go above and beyond expectations as much as we can for our guests and I am pleased to hear that it made the difference for your stay. The Green initiative is very important to us and we strive to conserve resources in many efficient ways. We appreciate your mention of our newly renovated rooms, our classic Yankee Doodle Tap room and our signature touches such as freshly baked cookies in the lobby. Thank you again and we look forward to your return to the Nassau Inn for what will most certainly be another great experience for us both. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit to arrange your reservation. Yours in hospitality, Nick Ballas
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Simply put: the Nassau Inn charges rates equivalent to the Four Seasons (I paid $700/night during Reunions/graduation) but offers service and amenities far below that level of hotel. The staff is primarily young and inexperienced, lacking in much of the skill of finer hotels. Yes, it wins on convenience but that is the only advantage. If you're traveling to Princeton by car, I would suggest another hotel.

This hotel used to be the crown jewel of Princeton. The current state of the hotel saddens me.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear ADavis20036, Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Princeton. We appreciate your mention of our convenient location as we are amidst many shops and restaurants downtown as well as being directly across the street from Princeton University and its many Reunion/Graduation activities. I am sorry that your opinion of us has changed and that the service was not as you would have hoped. I assure you we are continuously working on improving our customer service and that it is our number one priority. Yours in hospitality, Nick Ballas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Great location with an easy walk to shops and the University. Rooms nice but nothing special. Lobby kind of gloomy and dark. $20 for parking and $11 for wi fi? Seriously, it's not a luxury hotel.
Food at the bar is good and good value. Leaning a little too much on the history of the inn and not enough on the quality.

• Stayed July 2012
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear Wr84mu,
We truly appreciate the feedback about your stay. Our parking arrangement is such that we offer a discounted nightly rate for our guests as well as the ease of access in and out of the garage nearest to the Inn. The lobby may appear a bit darker currently as we are rejuvenating the areas directly behind the lobby and therefore cut off some of our normal lighting, but rest assured this is merely temporary. While we do appreciate our rich history, please know that with our ongoing rejuvenation project, quality accommodations for our guests remain a continued focus for us at all times. Our guest rooms are being completely revamped with brand new furnishings, bedding, televisions, carpets and new bathrooms. We look forward to continuing to improve the overall guest experience and exceed expectations in an effort to remain significant today and for many generations to come. If your future plans include another visit to the Princeton area we hope that you will once again choose to stay at the Nassau Inn.
Princeton, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

The location of the hotel is great I went there just to stay for a night but unfortunately, the service is extremely extremely terrible..
The check out time 11 am but check in time 3 pm! I waited for 2 hours to be checked in from 10 am till 12 pm and am told that I will be called as soon as room is ready. Check out time being at 11 am and at 12 pm they still cannot get one room cleaned was something. I would rather them to tell me we cannot do anything about it you need to wait till 3 pm or come back.. Then I asked for parking availability. The answer I got " yes parking is available. You go park across the street and park in the garage and then bring your ticket and we will validate it for you". What I would understand from this statement? I thought it was free. Next day when I was checking out, the receptionist told me she would charge for parking and I explained to her that she did not tell me this yesterday. She showed me an attitude and said that she knows exactly what she told and she implied that I tel her a lie not to pay. During check out front desk manager was not available and next day I called her. I explained her the situation and she had the exact same attitude as the receptionist and she told me that she needs to listen receptionist side of the story and confirm whether it really happened this way! She again implied that I am telling a lie for a parking fee! It is not the end of the story: To me the most interesting experience for somebody to knock my door at 11:05 am during my check out day. I was just about the leave the room! Front desk receptionist told me that check out time is 11:00 am and I am late! I told them since room was not available, I had to check in at 10:30 pm last night and I was just leaving at 11:05 am and you had to come and knock my door to take me out of the room!! Never ever seen before..
Not ended yet: As soon as I checked in at 10:30 pm and went into my room, somebody knocked the door. I asked who is it? Person answered "engineer". You knock somebody's door at 10:30 pm and all you can say "engineer". I said who are you. I came to fix your lamp. I called front desk righ away. Answer I got " sorry he mixed up rooms". He mixed up rooms at 10:30 pm! Staff is horrible and if you really want to ruin your vacation and/or nice stay over, then you can go to Nassau in at Princeton and be ready to deal with their staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank jx5000401
Dear jx5000401,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are troubled that you found your time with the Nassau Inn to be difficult. Issues with our check in time, check out time, a parking charge and an overall sense that our staff came off as rude is certainly not our standard and we feel terrible if anyone walks away from our Inn with this impression. We are reviewing this Trip Advisor feedback with our staff now to better understand how our communication can be improved with our guests. Thank you again for your feedback.
Director of Rooms

Travellers are raving about these Princeton hotels

Vail, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed at the Nassau Inn after being "walked" by the Westin Forrestal, where our wedding group was staying. . .not a great start, but the young man at the desk "talked us in" at 1am, as we were lost in downtown Princeton. He was most amiable, apologetic for the Westin screw-up, and did his best to accommodate our needs at that time. The hotel is undergoing renovations, and definitely is "tired" in some areas, but once we understood the location, right in the heart of Princeton, and interacted with the staff throughout the next morning, we knew we had found a real "gem."

Room Tip: there are larger rooms in the "newer" section across the street. . .the main building room...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FJohnsonVailMTNLodge
Dear FJohnsonVailMTNLodge,
We are so pleased that an unfortunate circumstance evolved into a positive experience for you. Our staff could not be more flattered that you were left with such a wonderful impression of them. We are continuing our rejuvenation project that will address the “tired” areas you made mention of. We hope that the next time you are visiting the Princeton area, that you will return to our Inn to once again enjoy all it has to offer and share with us your thoughts on all of our progress.
Frankfort, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

As I see others have noticed the location of the Nassau Inn can't be beat! The hotel itself is accurately described as historic although there are modern touches throughout. The first floor lobby area, although welcoming was very dark and cramped, if you need to use the wireless in the hotel I would recommend settling in on the second floor lobby area where there is more room and light. The room I stayed in on the second floor (maybe 245?) was very spacious with a King size bed and updated bathroom. I had no issues. The mattress was very comfortable and firm, rivaling my mattress at home even.
The staff was very accommodating and upbeat, especially at the front desk. They were ready and willing to help me with my luggage and show me to the parking garage (not owned by the hotel and $20.00 per night). The check in process was quick and efficient although three signatures and an ID to check in seems a bit much, more than other hotels I have stayed at. I was greeted by a young lady named Melissa who was extremely friendly and helpful. She assisted me in choosing some wonderful restaurants and shops, (Medditerra, Witherspoon Grill and Triumph Brewery) even calling to inquire about hours and reservations. She knew a lot about the area and its history as well.
I did appreciate the coffee in the first floor lobby in the afternoon offering a bit of a pick me up as well as the fresh cookies made in the restaurant.
Over all the hotel served its purpose and provided a lovely stay. I will gladly return in the future!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Gravel T,
We are so pleased to read of your recent experience at the Nassau Inn. Your overall satisfaction with your stay is uplifting for us to read. We appreciate that you cite our Inn’s historic charm with modern touches throughout. Your pleasure with the size of your bedroom and bathroom and that our new mattresses seemed to be right up your alley is most welcomed feedback. Our Front Desk staff could not be more encouraged to be specifically mentioned for their upbeat nature and their great knowledge of the Princeton area and its magnificent history. We will be awaiting your return to the Nassau Inn for what will most certainly be another great experience for us both.