“The Best (and Only) Place to Stay”
Review of Nassau Inn

Nassau Inn
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
New York
“The Best (and Only) Place to Stay”
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Nassau Inn is not perfect (I'll address its downsides in a minute), but if you are going to Princeton for a non-business reason OR your work-related reasons mean you'll have to be in the "downtown" area, then this is the best place to stay--let's set aside the fact that there's no alternative like it. It's such a great choice and there are two big reasons why. First is the simple fact of location. It is about three minutes' walk from the University (and if you're visiting students, like beautiful locations or want to see a small gem of a museum you're in the right area). Also, it is in downtown Princeton. This is a congestested area, filled with foot traffic, parking troubles and everything else that comes along with too many people in too small a space at the same time. You have everything that defines Princeton at your command and no hotel shuttle however convenient can duplicate that. There's a great worth to "being there"; location is important, particularly in a town where, with the exception of an inn down the road, all the hotels are located off of a wretched strip of highway where no left turns are allowed, traffic in the am and pm can be wretched and there is little else around but some deer and chain restaurants. The Nasssau Inn, however, embeds you in history and gives you the option to take in as much as or as little as you please. Also, if you're visiting a student, this is by far the best option.

History brings me to my second point. This hotel, with its narrow staircases next to modern elevators, oak panels, powder room, bar with fireplace and an original Normal Rockwell ("Yankee Doodle") on the wall is steeped in old Princeton history. Walking from the lobby to the bar (the Taproom as it is known), you'll see the wall lined with portraits of famous Princeton grads from James Stewart of _It's a Wonderful Life _ fame to Brooke Shields to, yes, current FLOTUS, First Lady Michelle Obama. IT's a celebration of Ivy League continuity and you won't be able to experience it at any other hotel.

As for sundries, the menu is passable, decent but not exceptional. Also, I don't believe room service is 24-hours, but that's just a personal quibble. The staff can be either incredibly kind and capable or clueless--luck of the draw. The rooms, similarly, can be spacious and lovely, but others are cramped. Revolutionary War comfort, I suppose.

I am critical of the fact that this establishment cannot seem to make up its mind what kind of hotel it is--a glorified Hilton or a boutique? The room might be charming and view even better from shuttered windows, but down the hall is an ice machine...and it's out of service. That's just the strange conflict that strikes me.

Nonetheless, shortcomings aside, if you are Princeton-bound, the Nassau Inn is the place to go. When you tuck in to the local tea house in the morning, you'll understand why.

Room Tip: This hotel ranges far above in the upper stories. If you don't want to walk half a mile to your...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LifeofThings
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Dear LifeofThings,
We sincerely appreciate your full review of our Inn and thank you for taking time out of your day to share it. We are happy to hear of your pleasure with our unmatched location within this wonderful historical town. The Yankee Doodle Tap Room is truly a cornerstone of Princeton and all of her lore. Princeton’s history is honored here while its wonderful future dines and appreciates all those contributors that came before. We can appreciate that you may take a critical vantage point when trying to classify our Inn within the confines of “boutique or a glorified Hilton”, as you put it. Recently we underwent a rejuvenation project to the Inn and went to great lengths to maintain our unique Colonial charm with regard to décor while updating to a full ensemble of modern amenities such as complimentary wifi in our common areas including the Yankee Doodle Tap Room, brand new HVAC, a top to bottom renovation of our guest bathrooms, all new beds and bedding, flat screen HD televisions and wifi accessibility in all of our guest and meeting rooms. We are a unique property in this respect and we are always listening to our guest feedback to sharpen our perspective and keep current with what is preferred. Any suggestions to improve our service are always welcomed and I am happy to discuss any thoughts you may want to share. I can be reached at (609) 921-7500. We thank you for your loyal patronage and look forward to your return to the Nassau Inn.
Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
new jersey
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Much like the stock market the prices fluctuate by the time of day! Had I known this I would have saved $20 and checked in a few hours later.I walked into the Inn to inquires about a room friday am at 10 - they had one for $179 plus... but it would not be ready until 1pm. I came back at 1pm to hear other guests being quoted $159. I checked on the computer and this was indeed the new price. However when I later asked I was told the prices change depending on the time of day! It isn't much but just left a bad feel. Had I not waited perhaps it would have been easier to accept.
As for the rooms, the toilet was not working but was promptly fixed, the drain on the tub leaked but didn't bother me, lack of hot water did. Lighting is poor, one lamp for 2 beds however we had a beautiful view for such a small room and the location can't be beat. Also bring your own hair conditioner, it is one of those combined bottles which we all know never really works!
Would I stay here again? Yes but I would watch those rates!

Room Tip: ask for a room facing Palmer square, otherwise you can be facing a lot of construction also bring y...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank stdominic
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
Dear stdominic,
We appreciate that you took time out to provide us with your feedback. We are glad to hear that you would visit us again but we are a bit troubled to hear of this situation as you’ve described it. I am not sure exactly what occurred during your time of booking the room and then what had changed at the time of your check in. I would be very happy to discuss this with you so as to better understand where we may have fallen short in giving you a consistent rate as our rates do not typically change within any such time frame. At your convenience, please call me at 609.921.7500. I will look forward to hearing from you.
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

Fantastic clean room with a stellar crew. The room was beaitiful and clean. Warm and ready for guests with the heat. It was a wonderful welcome to a full day of travel and delays. Fantastic location to princeston university and shopping as well as restaurants. Would definitly stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank HoodedChiWarrior
Dear HoodedChiWarrior, We greatly appreciate your wonderful review. We could not be happier that you so thoroughly enjoyed the warmth of you room and that the comfort it provided was exactly what you were looking for! We will look forward to your return and we hope that you will once again enjoy all things offered by our wonderful location here in Princeton.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 December 2012

This late 1930's hotel offered pleasant enough accommodation for a one night business trip, albeit in a room that was a little worn around the edges. For example, the bathroom sink wouldn't hold water, because the drain leaked, and a couple of suspicious stains haunted the shower curtain. However, the more important aspects of hotel accommodation were well taken care of: the bed was comfortable, WiFi was reliable, and there were generous supplies of bathroom products. Also supplied was a pack of sewing needles and cotton to service any emergency garment repairs. I didn't take advantage of the breakfast, so I can't comment on that, but the lobby's complimentary coffee was OK.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Dear PhantomTourist,
Thank you for providing us with your insightful feedback. We are very pleased to read of your overall satisfaction with our Inn. The bed you enjoyed is brand new as were the plentiful amenities within your room. We hope that during your next visit with us that you will take advantage of the breakfast in the Yankee Doodle Tap Room. At your convenience I would like to hear from you regarding the aspects of your stay that do not meet our standards so we can immediately take action to rectify these shortcomings. I can be reached at (609) 921-7500. I look forward to speaking with you and we all look forward to seeing you here with us again! Yours in hospitality,
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 November 2012

The first room we were assigned had windows so dirty you counld not see out, and the toilet ran continually. The second room was better and lighter (top floor)- until after sundown the lighting was inadequate (the most comfortable chair was near a lamp of wattage so low that it was impossible to read in the chair.) The bathtub stopper did not work properly- so it was not possible to fill the tub. The ceiling light near the shower was over the floor, not the tub/shower, so when the dark shower curtain was closed the shower resembled a cave. Guest rooms are old fashioned as is the dining room (disappointingly so)- with the only feature they seem to be proud of in the dining room is the initials carved in table tops by past students. The location is perfect, but, other than that, whay stay there?

Room Tip: rooms in the newer wing and on a high floor are better
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank steve r
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear steve r,
We would like to thank you for providing us with your feedback in regard to your recent stay at the Nassau Inn. We are very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction during your time at the Nassau Inn. Our maintenance and housekeeping staffs have both addressed the respective issues you brought to our attention. Our standard is 100% guest satisfaction and it is truly disappointing that we have fallen short of this for you. We would like nothing more than to be given another chance to leave you feeling completely satisfied. At your convenience, please call me to further discuss your previous issues and allow us pursue a better impression. Yours in hospitality,
Director of Rooms

Travellers are raving about these Princeton hotels

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Nice hideaway in a great historic location. Room size was satisfactory and the noise level was minimum. My room was on the main traffic side and I was quite surprised to hear very little noise. Close to lots of neat small businesses, which offer all sorts of great tasting soups, sandwiches, breads and yes cupcakes.

Will definitely return.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sap811
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
Dear sap811,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent Nassau Inn experience. We are happy to hear of your satisfaction with our newly rejuvenated rooms and their much improved sound proofing. Our location in the heart of Palmer Square is always a favorite of our guests, (and staff!) with its great variety of offerings for people of all ages and interests. We are thrilled that you will be returning and we look forward seeing you again. Please feel free to call me prior to your arrival for any arrangements of preference. (609) 921-7500.
New Jersey
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We lost power at the Jersey Shore and needed shelter. The Nassau Inn staff went beyond the call of duty to watch out for my 84 year old mother with a heart monitor that needed to be charged regularly. We only had a reservation for a 2 night stay but they did whatever they could do to let us stay.......we ended up staying for close to a week! I really felt that the staff treated us like family instead of hotel guests.....I was blown away by their concern and resourcefulness. I have stayed at the Nassau Inn several times and have always been happy with the location of the hotel, the food at the restaurant downstairs and the staff. If you want a cozy hotel in the middle of town whose staff treats you like family please stay at the nassau inn!

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the newer side of the hotel....the rooms/bathrooms are upgraded.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Dear beaner66,
We can not thank you enough for your glowing comments about your time with us at the Nassau Inn. I know I speak on behalf of all of our staff when I say it was our pleasure to be of assistance and spending the time with you and your mother. We are sorry it was under such circumstances but we look forward greatly to your return in better times! We hope that when you returned home, all was in good standing.
The Nassau Inn Staff