“Great Location, Good Experience”
Review of Nassau Inn

Nassau Inn
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Cincinnati, OH
“Great Location, Good Experience”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

As several others have commented, the best part about staying at the Nassau Inn is the location. The town of Princeton is very charming, and the hotel is surrounded by quaint shops and restaurants. It is just a short and pleasant walk to the campus of Princeton University, which is stunning. If I had a child attending Princeton, I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel.

We stayed at the Nassau Inn as part of a friend's wedding weekend. It is clearly a very popular destination for weddings. There were at least two or three other parties hosting weddings during the same weekend. This made the lobby feel a bit cramped, but not enough to spoil our stay.

Overall, I'd like to give the Inn 3 1/2 stars because it is better than "average" but not "very good". From reading other reviews, I think a lot of one's experience depends on which room one gets. We booked a standard room with two queen beds. It was described as "cozy", so I was prepared for a tiny room. It was just my husband and me, so I wasn't too concerned about the size of the room. But it turned out to be plenty of space for the two of us. There were two nice beds (I think they were queen size -- I didn't measure, and I'm not certain what the standard "queen" measurement would be) with adequate floor space around the beds and other furniture. The bed we chose to sleep in was very comfortable. The flat screen TV seemed new and was fully functional. There was no refrigerator. You could request one from the front desk, but I find it's nice just to already have one in the room. There was a room safe, but it required contacting the front desk for a key and making a deposit. Again, that feels like an inconvenience to me. Many, if not most, hotels at this price point would supply the refrigerator and room safe without the guest needing to make the additional request.

The bathroom was tiny but recently renovated. The fixtures were very nice. The bathroom also appeared to be clean. The water pressure in the shower was very good. The hotel provided shampoo, but no hair conditioner. I wished they had provided hair conditioner. It is far more useful than the shower gel they provided (since they also provided bar soap).

Yes, the A/C unit is NOISY. I think other reviewers have pointed this out. Fortunately, the weather was on our side during our visit. With high temperatures in the 70s (August -- wow!), we could leave the A/C on while we were away from the room, and then turn it off at night while we slept. One night I did have the "brilliant" idea to open the window, but that turned out to be not so brilliant. The trash removal folks who came by in the morning on the street outside made quite a racket.

My friend's wedding reception and a brunch the following morning were held at the hotel. As a guest, I felt both events were handled very professionally by the hotel staff. The food was very good for both occasions. Our contact with all members of the hotel staff was positive, including the front desk.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely if I found myself in Princeton, NJ again. But I would not make a special trip to the location just for the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ATP1
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Dear ATP1,
We thank you for taking the time to review our Inn. It is great to read such positive feedback. Our Front Desk and Banquets staff truly appreciate your kind words with regard to their positive and professional manner. We’re so happy that you found your room to be in such good clean order and that it was spacious with such a comfortable bed is always a big plus for any traveler! Your points about the refrigerator, safe and conditioner are something we are now looking into as our rejuvenation is ongoing as we strive towards 100% guest satisfaction. We greatly value this form of constructive feedback as it provides us with invaluable insight as to where we can improve upon next. Thank you again for choosing the Nassau Inn and sharing your positive experience. If your plans in the future include another visit to Princeton we will very much look forward to seeing you once again. Please feel free to reach out to me at (609) 921-7500.
Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We reserved 3 rooms for our family for a wedding weekend and had confirmation for queen-size beds in each (we are all tall). When we checked in each room had a full-size bed not a queen - ultimately I measured to be sure. I had several conversations with different front desk people to check on this and to see what could be done. In each case they told me I was wrong and that the beds were queen. We stayed in the rooms because we were busy throughout the weekend but the poor attitude and service from the front desk was appalling. We left feeling certain that it must be hotel policy to tell lies and stick to their stories. I asked for a slight accommodation on the bill, which was substantial, and that was denied us. There were other examples of poor service (the front desk failed to give 2 out of 3 of us the wedding gift bags supplied by the bride and groom but we didn't even ask for these once we realized that others received them, because the bed size was a bigger issue) and it was very clear that they feel they can get away with this because they have no competition in town. The rooms were tiny but larger beds were all we needed. And we also would have appreciated people at the front desk who would listen to issues and look into them, rather than arguing. Will not stay there again. I hope the bride's family doesn't hear of the problems that we and other guests experienced.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank amyfinkel

Travellers are raving about these Princeton hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed here because a friend's wedding reception was in the hotel. I will review two rooms since I stayed in one and visited another that evening. The Nassau wasn't as crooked or noisy as previously reviewed. I've stayed in older hotels before and the Nassau was nothing in comparison.

I stayed in a single standard king room, which was very spacious and decorated in a prestigious manner. Everything was elegant and top notch. The bathroom was spectacular and again spacious. Everything was clean and comfortable. However, I believe I lucked out and stayed in a handicapped friendly room. My friends room, a standard double queen, was a different story. I honestly believe that their room for 4 people was smaller than my room for 2, with the beds being roughly 3ft apart. The decorations were fine, I believe the beds were comfy, but I did notice a striking difference with the bathrooms. Seemed like the toilet was meant to be in a high school bathroom. Their bathroom counter, floor and shower were just not up to snuff.

For the most part it appears that this hotel is a gamble in the sense that it is a question mark when you first open your hotel room. Great location though. Perfect for people who love to shop.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Art F,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very happy to hear of your satisfaction with your overnight room. We could not be more pleased to read your opinion of the renovated room and bathroom that you had while visiting. As you pointed out, we have a very small number of rooms that have yet to be fully rejuvenated. Although we are progressing quickly we appreciate that there is a difference but that will not be the case for long. If and when you or your friends return to Princeton please feel free to call me so we can arrange your reservation and ensure another very pleasing experience for you. I can be reached at (609) 921-7500. Yours in Hospitality,
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 August 2014

One night stay and our room was clean, bathroom new, but the room overall was very small. Smaller than my recent stay in a NYC hotel. Walls are thin, but their is a lot of history here and the location cannot be beat. We came for an overnight to do dinner and whatever else cropped up.
We booked the breakfast package in the Yankee Doodle Tap Room and that was ok. There is a special menu, that is limited if you book that package.
We would stay here again because the location is within walking distance to everything that Princeton has to offer.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Bailey2004,
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so happy that you were pleased with the cleanliness of your room and the newly renovated bathroom. The room sizes do vary a bit but please feel free to reach out to me prior to your next weekend getaway so we can show you a variety of rooms so that we may offer you everything that you are looking for! Our location is fantastic for seeing and doing everything Princeton has to offer and we are thrilled that you were able to experience some of that. We look forward to your return and I look forward to speaking with you. I can be reached at (609) 921-7500.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nassau Inn is the downtown hotel for conferences at Princeton, University. We were staying there to help our son move, from an appartment a few blocks away up to NYC. Our stay was fine, no notable discrepancies.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank George R T
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear George R T,
Thank you for providing us with your feedback! We appreciate that you chose to stay with us while visiting the Princeton area. We hope your son’s moving day went to plan and that you were able to get sufficient rest with us. We are happy to hear that overall you were satisfied with your Nassau Inn experience. We hope that if your future plans include another visit to the Princeton area that you will once again choose to stay at the Nassau Inn!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We returned to Princeton for a second consecutive summer to attend a soccer event. We decided to stay in Princeton rather than out on the highway. This was an outstanding decision. This hotel is in the heart of Princeton. It is steps from shopping, the Campus, and some really nice eating establishments. The hotel decor could use a bit of updating but the location of this hotel trumps any deficiencies. The parking is a 1/2 block way and you can enter/exit any time during your stay (for a fee that is added onto your bill but this is a no-brainer). I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant but I'm told it was fine. I loved the grassy area outside the hotel where the kids could play and a movie was shown at dusk. If you are looking to explore Princeton, it's shops, campus and merchants, this is your spot!

Room Tip: See if you can get a good rate on a suite. The standard room for my wife and two kids was a little...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Michael E
nassaugm, Public Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Michael E,
Thank you for your feedback! We are so happy to hear of your decision to stay with us this time while visiting the Princeton area and that it is a decision that you were so pleased with. The convenience of the proximity of the parking garage for our guests is wonderful as is our proximity to all the great things Princeton has to offer. The green on Palmer Square provides such a wide variety of family entertainment throughout the year and we are pleased that you were able to take advantage of it. We hope that you will return to us for next year’s soccer event as well and begin an annual family tradition! Of course we would love to have you anytime you’re visiting the Princeton area throughout the year as well. Please call me to possibly arrange for the suite you mentioned in your "Room Tip" to accommodate your family. I can be reached at (609) 921-7500. For up to the minute schedules of ongoing events on Palmer Square as well as any current offers please feel free to follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Foursquare! We look forward to serving you again in the future.
New York
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have stayed at the Nassau and we have stayed at hotels outside of town. Although the Nassau is not as updated (modernly uniform and sterile), the location can't be beat. Princeton is one of the most walkable towns I have ever seen, so being able to walk out the door and enjoy all it has to offer is worth it--especially at night. It does have a certain charm that the chain hotels lack, so enjoy it for what it is and enjoy Princeton. It is a great place to meander.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear shirleyjoanrose,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our location is wonderful and our Inn does lend itself to Princeton’s unique charm. It is a great town to be able to just park the car for the entire time you are with us, relax and enjoy all the wonderful things Princeton has to offer. We hope that you do return again in the future and please feel free to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare for up to the minute town events, specials and offers to add to the Princeton experience.