Nassau Inn
Courtyard
US$228
US$169
US$154
Hyatt Place Princeton(Princeton)(Great Value!)
US$228
Hyatt Regency Princeton(Princeton)(Great Value!)
US$205
Hampton Inn Princeton(Princeton)(Great Value!)
US$181
US$159
Princeton Marriott at Forrestal(Princeton)(Great Value!)
US$250
US$206
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
US$262
  • Pool
Sonesta ES Suites Princeton(Princeton)(Great Value!)
US$192
US$170
US$149
US$144
All reviewsyankee doodlepalmer squarehistoric hotelparking garageprinceton universitynorman rockwellnassau streetcookiesnew jerseytapstudents
Reviewed 16 October 2010

The Nassau Inn has no competition in the heart of Princeton, and it shows. I had specifically asked for a king size bed when I made the reservation, but when I arrived, our room had a double bed -- not even a queen. When I complained at the front desk, I was told that they were completely booked and besides, they had no note of my request. I was out of luck.

I guess you could have called my room a "suite" -- a tiny bedroom with no space even for a chair. There was a narrow hallway to the bathroom, and then beyond to a small sitting room that didn't even have a desk. Lumpy bed. Two outdated TVs (one in each section). No space for two people to move around in. I actually had to climb on the bed when my husband wanted to get to our suitcase.

The bathroom was dirty, with hairs on the baseboards, and all the fixtures and tile were old, old, old. The shower wouldn't turn off all the way, so it trickled the entire time we were there. And the shower itself was sheer torture! The water would go from hot to complete cold every 10-15 seconds. The halls are narrow and depressing. They only have wired internet access, and you pay $11 per day for it; it didn't matter because there wasn't any place to work in the room. I actually had to go to Panera Bread to be able to set up my laptop. Parking in the Hullfish Street Garage (the only option) costs roughly $18 per day.

I understand that they are in the process of renovating the place and building an annex. Wait until that is done before staying here -- or request a renovated room and hope you actually get one. I'm not sure even renovation will help, however. The Nassau Inn is old, with none of the elegance you would expect of a Princeton institution. The only thing going for it is the location.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bananas09
nassaugm, General Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2010

Dear Bananas09, I apologize that you were not satisfied with your accommodations at the Inn. We are indeed rejuvenating the property and guest rooms and I am confident that should you decide to return to the Inn in the future we will exceed your expectations. The Inn does offer free internet services in the Yankee Doodle Tap Room restaurant as well as all of the lobby areas. The daily parking fee is discounted to allow for guests of the Inn to enter and exit the public parking facilities at their leisure without multiple charges throughout one's stay. Please accept my sincere apoligies for your dissatisfaction, I appreciate your comments. Yours in hospitality, Lori Rabon

Reviewed 16 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Nassau Inn one evening for a reunion gathering.
We were upgraded (due to full capacity) to a suite. Rm. 567. I had no idea this section of the hotel even existed. It is located on the fifth floor, which crosses over the street via a covered overpass. This section is newly renovated. We found the suite to be very spacious, nicely decorated with a large bathroom, two flat screen TVs and a very comfy king size bed.

If you get a chance to stay at the Nassau Inn, request this room! It's beautiful and the location to all things Princeton is perfect. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

We also highly recommend eating at the Tap Room. The food is always very good.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Dear lbischof, Thank you for your kind remarks regarding the recently rejuvenated section of the Nassau Inn. We are in the process of renovating all of our guest rooms in this same style and I am pleased to hear that the accommodations were to your liking. Thank you as well for making note of the friendly and helpful staff as well as the very good food in the Yankee Doodle Tap Room. We hope that you will return to the Inn whenever you are in the area. The Yankee Doodle Tap Room has just introduced a new Fall menu with many wonderful seasonal offerings and there is no place like Princeton on a beautiful fall day to relax and enjoy all of the town has to offer. Yours in hospitality, Lori Rabon

Reviewed 15 October 2010

After calling the hotel early the day of our arrival and requesting a refrigerator and microwave be put in our room for our arrival (legally blind husband and service dog) I was very distressed to learn on arriving that this had not been done. Once in our extremely shabby room an elderly tiny woman came along pushing a beaten up cart with a mini-frig on top. There was no way in the world that she could remove the frig without help. Of course my husband helped her. The microwave NEVER arrived! As these two items were key in feeding our service dog I was obligated (after having driven for six hours) to figure out and make other arrangements. Needless to say I was not happy!!

The room itself was shabby. The trash can in the bathroom looked as though it had been used as a football (dented and disgusting). I had to search for a full five minutes to find the flushing lever for the toilet. It was ON THE WALL NEXT TO THE SINK!

The carpets in the elevator and the hallways were FILTHY!!!

I requested another room. My call WAS NOT returned. I called again and was told OK someone would come to show me a room. Someone did. First she showed me a room that was the same but with two beds. I said no. She took me to a "renovated" room..I accepted that one as it seemed cleaner and more comfortable. I was still left with the problem of how to feed my dog!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Junefaith

Dear Junefaith, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you, your husband and your dog suffered due to our failure to provide you with the requested items upon your arrival. I am glad to hear that the staff did work to provide you with these items and were able to accommodate your request for a different room. Yours in hospitality, Lori Rabon

Reviewed 9 October 2010

I remember the Nassau Inn from a previous visit about 10 years ago. Back then it was considered a prestigious location. So on this trip I decided to revisit and enjoy the great location on Palmer Square.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to have been upgraded since my last visit.

My room was overstuffed with too much furniture, including two huge beds - both with matresses that have seen better days. The AC ran at a noise-level, that made switching it off the only option to get some sleep.The wallpaper in both the room and bathroom was peeling off. The bathroom door was in a dismal state, with rust on the hinges, warped wood and peeling paint. Some of the fixtures were hanging off the wall at dangerous angles and there was mold on the wall.

Food (breakfast) in the dining room/restaurant was bland and overcooked - my tasteless omelette was comped after I complained to the waitress - but not before she went back and forth to the kitchen to inform me of the chef's opinion of my comments.

When, at check-out, I showed the receptionist the photos of the mold and general state of the room, she only commented "oh dear - I need to take a look at this." No apology, no offer of reducing the charge or any other sign of dealing with the situation.

I will recommend to our corporate travel agent, that the Nassau Inn be removed from our list of hotels of choice.

1  Thank salmaniac
nassaugm, Director of Rooms at Nassau Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2010

Dear Salmaniac, Again I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for your substandard stay with us. As you and I discussed we have addressed each of your room issues. When you do return to Princeton I look forward to once again hosting you and ensuring a satisfactory stay. Yours In Hospitality, Nick Ballas

Reviewed 9 October 2010

The worst thing about the Nassau Inn is that it retains none of its three-century charm while also offering no modern amenities, so you're just stuck in this uncomfortable, small hellhole of a room with nothing to appreciate. It's the worst of both worlds. Rooms are small, European-sized. Beds are uncomfortable, rooms echo; you can hear everything between rooms, in the hall, and especially true if you have an adjoining room. I had to wait an hour and a half for a room to be ready; when my reserved room was still unavailable, someone finally thought of offering me a room with a smaller bed. Glad at least to be out of the lobby, the room was right above the loading dock, so in addition to all the regular hotel noise, I also got street noise, garbage collection, and construction. I asked for a fan and was flatly told no without courtesy or alternatives offered; ended up sleeping with the window open and heat on to try to block out the noise while not suffocating. The room itself was dinghy; found a bug in my tub in the morning, spots on the bed linens. I would certainly stay anywhere else if there was anything close to the university; after this experience, I'm not convinced it won't be worth the cost to stay elsewhere in the city and just cab it in next time. The only positive experience was breakfast at Yankee Doodle where service was prompt and friendly, good food arrived quickly.

1  Thank Wolch
nassaugm, General Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2010

Dear Wolch,

We regret that this was your perception of the Inn. Please accept my sincere apologies that your guest room fell short of your expectations. We are currently in the midst of a rejuvenation project, however we appreciate your constructive comments. We are glad that you did enjoy your meal at the Yankee Doodle Tap Room and appreciate your comments.

Yours in hospitality,