I was married and stayed at the Westin this May. This is primarily an event/ business location. I struggled over whether or not to write this review, but in the end I decided I should because I would want to know this myself… especially since I just saw that they were inexplicably voted a “Knot best of weddings 2011 pick”.
Nice location, pretty fountain, looks nice in pictures, great other vendors conveniently located in the same plaza, and the director of catering is very sweet and accommodating
1) The chairs were all very badly soiled to an embarrassing degree. The chairs in
the dining room had dark stains on them which were very noticeable; I don't understand why they were used. We had to open the doors to try and get rid of the musty smell in the room.
2)There was no silverware out at the cocktail hour. My mother said that she had to ask 5 times for silverware to be put out.
3) The meals at the food tasting weren’t at all representative of the food that was served at the wedding. My father asked if the chef who was cooking the food for the tasting would be cooking for the reception. They told us no, but the same chef would oversee the other cooks. The salads were a plate of wilted greens, nothing like the food tasting. Instead of salmon on a soft bed of mashed potatoes, sauce and vegetables----it was an ice cream scoop of hard potatoes along side a dried out piece of salmon with very little sauce. This was not only a disappointment, it was an embarrassment.
4) Meals were taken away within 10 minutes of being served. Everyone made the comment to us that they would leave to use the rest room or dance and when they returned to their seat, their salad or dinner would be gone. My flower girl and ring bearer had nothing to eat at all---their kids meals were there one minute and gone the next.
5)There is no communication between the director of catering and the Banquet Captain. I specifically requested that the doors to the cocktail hour not be opened prior to 6pm, so that we could do a receiving line at the start of the cocktail hour. The director of catering wasn’t there and must have not communicated my requests with the Banquet Captain, because the doors were opened prior to six and we couldn’t do the receiving line.
6)I never made it to the cocktail hour anyway, because it did rain for about 15 mins during my ceremony and me and my bridesmaids had to fix ourselves prior to the cocktail hour. The keys to my suite never worked the entire evening. We told the front desk and it took 35 minutes for someone to come and let us in. We therefore completely missed the cocktail hour and never did the receiving line. The timeline of events for the entire night was totally thrown off because of this (and the continuing issue of getting into the room and not being able to get anyone to help us get in).
7)One of the reasons I selected the Westin was the possibility of having an inside /outside cocktail hour. It rained for about 15mins at 4pm and was beautiful the rest of the entire evening. We decorated the outside area for the cocktail hour very nicely and then when it rained the tables were piled back in the room and never put back out. In the end, when I finally came down and everyone followed me outside they were all commenting on how beautiful it looked and thought the decorations were for another wedding.
8)I sent several emails to the director of catering’s assistant about having stands for the table numbers out on the tables. I was providing the actual numbers, but needed the stands. I even specifically had her adjust my contract to reflect this. We must have gone back and forth about it 5 times, yet when we arrived to the reception, there were no table number stands and the table numbers were laying all over the tables.
9)The Banquet Captain seemed to not know what was going on at all and was not pushing the evening along in an organized way. My husband and I got our dinners long after all the other guests and finally wound up having to eat our dinners separately. i.e. my husband and I could not eat at the same time on our wedding night! One of my bridesmaids pointed out to the banquet captain that it had been a really long time and she yelled at her, saying the groom had a special request. (he asked for it well done?!)
10)The issue with getting into the room was a constant issue the whole night. I missed a lot of my own wedding because of it and so did my brother in-law, who stayed up there for a while with someone trying to fix it.
11) They threw out the top tier of my wedding cake (you are supposed to save it for your first anniversary)
12) The hotel offered promotional rates lower than my room block, which was also embarrassing
One of my bridesmaids works for Hyatt and was totally appalled over the Westin’s handling of my wedding. She was married at a Hyatt a month later, with the same number of guests and same food selection, yet they didn’t have any problems at all. They were really incredibly on top of everything and did everything they could to make sure everything was nice. My mother and I were thinking the Westin was just blowing us off because we had the smaller room, but really this shouldn’t have been.
When the Westin discovered that things went badly they offered to have a meeting with the Banquet Captain. My mother wrote them back and outlined the issues, then said she didn’t know how a meeting could help the situation. The Westin thanked her for her response and told her they respected that she didn’t want to be contacted again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in a beautiful suburban setting, The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village is situated in the picturesque Princeton Forrestal Village shopping center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Princeton At Forrestal Village Hotel Princeton
- Westin Forrestal Village
- Westin Princeton
- Princeton Westin