“A home away from home...literally”

The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“A home away from home...literally”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The staff at the Westin make this a great place to visit (i.e. live) as I've been there every week for the last 6 months. Lauren at the front desk takes care of anything I need and always has a smile on her face. She's a breath of fresh air during a stressful week of travel and helps me with any/all of the special needs that arise for a road warrior like me - she even asks about my girlfriend by name!! You can tell Lauren really cares about the hotel guests and wants to make their stay as comfortable as possible.

The bar is a little small and can get crowded during the busy times, but the bartender makes up for any shortcomings. He knows half of the bar by name and remembers you, your drink, and your travel schedule. I made friends with him the first week I stayed at the Westin and it's always nice to go down and have a drink with the best bartender in town when I can.

As for the hotel - it's your typical business hotel. A nice starbucks café on the ground level and they have a nice pool here (indoor and outdoor), but I've never used it.

The gym is kind of bad, 4 treadmills and 2 bikes with a small rack of free weights. But, I asked the staff about the gym and was given vouchers for the gym across the street. As an SPG member they always upgrade me to a nice suite when available. On one occasion they even upgraded me to the Presidential Suite.

Overall the hotel is a standard business hotel, but the staff there makes the difference!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank traveler11NewYork
Lynn W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Traveler11NewYork,

Thank you for your complimentary remarks about our beautiful hotel, helpful staff at the Front Desk and "best bartender in town." Our Lauren and Ricardo respectively, were informed of your review and they like all of us here at the Westin appreciate your loyalty, patronage and look forward to seeing you again during the next six months. We are always happy to provide our guests with the very best of gym availability and as you experienced, our gym annex for guests across the street is utilized in conjunction with our interior Westin Workout Fitness Center and spa. Thanks again Traveler11NewYork and we look forward to your next visit.

Lynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The common areas of this hotel are nice enough. I did expect something for being a gold level, as it was we were placed on the second floor.

The unsatisfactory design of the guest rooms is the real problem.

The desk surface is ample, but the desk chair is thoroughly uncomfortable. The upholstered chair is little, like a doll’s chair, with no arms. I guess you could use it to good advantage as a valet.

The room certainly looked clean. Air quality good. Beds are comfortable; crisp, white sheets. They seem to be full size, rather than queen beds. If you care, better confirm before booking.

Limited TV channels (four children’s channels, the usual panoply of sports stations); no movie channels without commercials (e.g., TCM, HBO).

Worst: The bathroom design is inefficient, not to mention hazardous. The toilet/bathtub is in one room and the sink adjoins, separated by a door. The sink itself is in front of the clothes closet. There is no door separating the sink area from the entrance to the room. In other words, whoever you share the room with will be privy to that portion of your beauty routine that you conduct at the sink. There goes the mystery…

But worse than that: if person A is at the sink, person B cannot exit the bathroom without knocking person A right out of the way. Yes, the door swings right onto the sink area. Forget about access to the closet. When sharing this room, you really need to be on your toes and cooperate.

Westin brand amenities; brand X scratchy tissues and thin-as-can-be toilet paper. The toilet seemed to be on its last legs. Like the little engine that could, you never quite knew if it would actually completely flush, (but it always did; there’s a relief).

Unadvertised special: a swinging magnifying mirror: appreciated.

A small sign on the door instructs guests to “use deadbolt and security bar,” which I am wont to do at the best of times. However: there was no deadbolt, leaving me at the mercy of the security bar.

Breakfast was quite good. The hotel abuts a small ghost town shopping center. There is a nice shop offering different coffees, teas and pastries across from the hotel. Do you like good food? Drive 10 minutes into Princeton: Blue Point Grill; Witherspoon Grill; the Bent Spoon for artisanal ice cream.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Travel_LadyNYC
Princetonwestin, General Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Travel_ladyNYC,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comment. I am sorry to hear your disappointment regarding the design of the guest rooms. While I have little control over the layout of the physical space I can control the service levels , overall comfort and security of our guests. I appreciate your comments about the cleanliness of the hotel, breakfast experience and the make- up mirror. I apologize for the issue with the fit of the sheet and the lack of a powerful commode. We will have the engineering team check all of them to see if we can improve the performance.

Be well

Travellers are raving about these Princeton hotels

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We live in the area and took my daughter and niece for a quick overnight getaway - mainly to let them swim in the indoor pool during a particularly cold January weekend.

The staff was wonderful. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. As a gold SPG member, my room was on the SPG secure floor (need a hotel key to get on the floor) but beyond the elevator security, there was nothing special about the rooms, it seemed. The deluxe room was definitely on the small side and the claim of two full beds was overblown - more like two large twins rather than an actual full size bed.

But the room, public areas and pool area were extremely clean and well-kept. Only downside on the pool was that it was a bit too cold on the first day, but was definitely warmer the second day. They have a special pool menu and you can have lunch or dinner there which was very nice and convenient.

It was extremely quiet during the weekend. This is definitely a business hotel. The restaurant and bar areas were totally empty, which for us was fine but if you are looking for a bit of bustle on a Saturday night, this is not the place!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face Route 1 to reduce noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank cmmnj
Hello cmmnj,
Thank you for staying at the Westin Princeton and posting such positive comments. Our staff is always pleased to read reviews such as yours. Our double bedded rooms are actually a bit longer than a typical full size bed and are specially made for Westin. Please accept my apology for the temperature of the swimming pool and how quiet the hotel was. Our weekends can become quite busy but some winter weekends are a little quieter. Please visit us again soon and thank you for choosing Westin.
Be well
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Like many of the previous reviews, I found the Princeton Westin overall bland and lacking personality. The staff was exceptionally professional, accommodating, and genuinely delightful, but beyond that, there was really nothing memorable about the hotel, room, location, or overall experience.

What I do recall was that the hotel was well past showing signs of aging although relatively clean. Scuff marks, dated faucet designs, tired carpeting, chairs with fabric upholstery (instead of vinyl or leather), akward shower/tub combo, and an ancient appearing television (a true tell-tell sign of updating needs well past due).

Food that was catered from the hotel for our event was basically flavorless. There is basically nothing of interest to do in this area so don't show up without a car. Since my room was paid for by my meeting host, I can't speak to value, but I can only hope that he got an exceptional deal.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Advourner
marcofour, General Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Hello Advourner,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about our hotel and the feedback you provided on our guest survey. Again, I apologize for our shortfall in the guest room and am appreciative of your comments about our staff. While we don't have a lot of control over the decor, we can provide exceptional service. My operations team has taken care of the scuff marks and I have challenged our culinary team on your feedback regarding the food. The hotel was refreshed in 2010 and 32" flat screen LCD TV's are in every room. We have the full complement of HD stations as well. I will keep track of further issues regarding the televisions and make appropriate recommendations to our corporate team. Thank you for choosing Westin and please take me up on my offer to personally make your next travel arrangements.
Marc
NJ
Reviewed 8 December 2011

If you are willing to drive on some small winding roads through residential neighborhoods or a straight shot on US1, you can easily get back and forth between this hotel and Princeton's main campus. It is located near one of the satellite campuses. It is a pretty standard Westin, nicely appointed features in the room, clean, and tasteful. It is also quiet, especially given its close proximity to US1, which is a highway. We had a room facing the highway and the only thing to note is that you must close the dark-out shades. The wireless wasn't working and the staff who manages it weren't available, so I had to rely on the hard-wired internet cable that worked well. We weren't there during the day, so can't say if the noise from the surrounding shops and related traffic is an issue. The room was ample-sized and the beds comfortable. Both the room and the bathroom were clean. The free breakfast on the preferred levels is a small nook on the top floor, providing a continental breakfast and no seating.

Positives: The staff is incredibly polite, lovely, and helpful. I was struck by how everyone makes eye contact (almost to the point of being over-friendly). The downstairs store, open during the day and most of the night, serves good coffee. The lobby is designed so sounds are muffled. You can't hear commotion a few feet away. The pool is pleasant.

Cautions or negatives: There is no hot tub or whirlpool next to the pool. The outdoor part of the pool is closed at night. The parking lot configuration is a little confusing because there is a huge turning circle at the front of the hotel and the actual parking lot for the hotel is on the side. It is challenging to figure out how to get to that parking lot exactly because of one way roads in the parking lot.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank DoubleDoors
Hello Doubledoors,
Thank you for your kind feedback regarding our hotel. I sincerely appreciate your visiting us and taking the time to give comments. Our outdoor pool is closed out of season but will open up again in May. We have investigated the wireless issue and have had it repaired. My staff was very pleased to read your comments about their service.
Thank you and I hope we see you again soon.
Marc
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Stayed at a nicer hotel in NYC for cheaper the night before, which seems a bit uneven to me given the location and no-frill accommodations. Staff was very polite.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank W T
FOM_Westin_Princeton, Front Office Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
Hello Woody1811,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Princeton. I'm very glad to hear your feedback about our staff, but I'm very sorry if you found our guest rooms to be underwhelming. Was there anything in particular that we could do better to improve upon our experience in the rooms? Please feel free to message me directly if you have any additional comments or concerns. We do hope you choose to try us again the next time you are in the Princeton area.

Mike
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed here for a few nights over Thanksgiving and had a great experience! When we first arrived we had to take a cab to the hotel (we were told a shuttle would come and pick us up but it wasn't running). We told the front desk this and the man working was so helpful he reduced our rate significantly for both nights to cover our cost and inconvenience. The hotel had running paths marked out that we used and took a beautiful 2.5 mile run on Thanksgiving day. The room was very nice and modern - very quiet and warm. We swam a few times in their indoor pool which was really nice except when a lot of people get in it since it's not huge! Their hotel shuttle took us into town several times and picked us up which was so nice since the hotel is about a 10 minute drive from downtown. Highly recommend this and definitely eat at the Salt Creek Grille right next door if you do stay here :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank krc11
Hello krc11,

Thank you very much for your extremely kind words regarding your stay with us. I'm delighted to hear that we provided such a renewing experience while you were with us. We are thrilled you chose to spend your Thanksgiving with us, and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Princeton.

Mike