“Very good hotel”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Clarks Summit, PA
“Very good hotel”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed there for the first time in Nov. after a singing engagement my husband had in Princeton. The hotel is right off of Route 1 with free and ample parking minutes away from downtown Princeton and close to shopping centers and restaurants (like TGIF, Applebee's, etc.) The hotel has a shuttle service- how it works (If you have to sign up for it in advance) I don't know- we didn't use it. I think they go up to 5 miles away from the hotel. Anyway, when we were walking into the hotel there were a HUGE amount of teenagers all over the place (nicely dressed)...we having two teenagers with us thought, "What is going on?" Turned out to be a 16th birthday party. We were checked in fast and easy...and given 4 warm cookies to take with us upstairs. The executive room with double queen beds was spacious, clean and modern. The beds themselves are extremely comfortable. There are a huge amount of cabinets in the executive room. The room also has a coffeemaker with Wolfgang Puck Coffee and Tea. The bathroom is supplied with Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries. Only thing missing from our room was a refrigerator. That would have been a nice addition. The one thing that came with our executive room was coupons- since it was the weekend the club was closed. So we got a free coupons for a free drink or appetizer of each adult at the On the Bone Steakhouse AND we also got free breakfast buffet the next day...in our opinion it was worth the price of the executive room! So we decided to check out the hotel and go to the On the Bone Steakhouse that is attached to the hotel. When we went back to the lobby all the teenagers were in the room they had for the party and the music had started...we didn't hear ANY of it in the restaurant next door and we were seated at the wall right next to that room or back in our room. And that music was REALLY loud. The meal at the Steakhouse was REALLY good (expensive but good)-only thing found 'wrong' was the table was cracked...there was a big chip out of it. The could have sat us someplace else since it wasn't filled. My husband and two daughters used the indoor heated pool- they said it was really nice...stocked with a good amount of towels. There is also a 24 hour fitness center and a business center that we didn't use. The next day we had the breakfast buffet (they have it in the 'One the Bone') using our coupons- we had coffee, tea and juice served to our table and the buffet which was EXCELLECT and I am very picky!) included a wide selection of items such as: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, different types of toast, oatmeal, fruit, cereal, yogurt, bagels, muffins, and more. (I know I'm forgetting hot items) My only complaint was the shower....when I tried to take a shower in the morning (everyone else went swimming again) I was met with only ice cold water...I let it run for quite a while (5 min) and it only got to semi warm/cold. I got in thinking this is as good as it gets- by the time I got out it was finally a decent temp and then at least the rest of my family could shower in warmth.They REALLY need to fix that.
I would definately recommend staying here- just leave extra time for your shower. ;-)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Gina R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are all pleased that you and your family had such a great time. There isn’t much else to be said because you have literally said it all! Maybe on you’re next visit you will have time to use of business center and our fitness, and then go to the pool again! We will keep a warm cookie for you and we hope to see you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Houston
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I have now stayed at this Doubletree four different times over the last six months when traveling to Princeton. If there is one thing that has characterized all of the visits, it has been the hotel's consistency in providing a clean room, a clean restroom, a comfortable bed, and a properly working A/C and heating system. Each stay has been in a different room across three different floors. Each time I have asked for extra pillows through online reservations and each time they have been there waiting for me in the room. The only thing they missed on one stay was forgetting to put the two complimentary water bottles in the room on check-in, which the front desk quickly corrected. Overall a well maintained, good hotel.

As with all lodging, there are some things to be aware of:

- The parking looks ample, but it gets filled quickly and you could very well end up parking in the back of the hotel, particularly if you arrive or return to the hotel past 9PM.

- The pricing for a room is competitive during weekends but gets pricier than comparable hotels during the week. The priciness is higher if you consider no breakfast is included in the room rates.

- The hotel has a restaurant sort of attached to it. I did not visit it, but they list the specials in the hotel lobby and near the elevators each day. It appeared to have a very limited selection. The prices were equal to or higher than several of the good to better restaurants in town (Mezzaluna, Mediterra, Lucy's, Teresa's - yes I like Italian). Unsure if they open for breakfast as I ate all my meals out, or if there is another area for breakfast within the hotel.

- The hotel is one of the farthest out from Princeton township. It might add another 5-10 minutes to your commute than some of the ones closer to Alexander or Washington Road.

- Some of the rooms facing toward Highway 1 are very close to the hotel lighting that illuminates the front entrance and parking area. You will need to close the shades tightly to avoid the brightness entering the room at night. No issue with the shades closed, though.

- Some folks complain about highway noise, given room proximity to the highway (about 50 meters). I did not experience any issue even when being in the highway-facing rooms.

- The rooms are medium to large sized, but the standard rooms are not your traditional Doubletree two-room suites, they are a single room with a king or two doubles and a desk/sitting area next to it.

I will happily keep returning to this Doubletree as long as they continue to be consistent.

1 Thank BallenitaAzul
Lawrence_J247, Front Desk at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thank you very much for your recent stay and your continued stays with us! We are all so very happy that our service has made us your place to stay when you are visiting Princeton. We will continue to strive to meet and exceed your expectations. Thank you for taking the time out to write this review as well as provide other travelers with some helpful tips. We look forward to your return and thank you again!
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The room that I booked was on the executive floor and was very pleased with the room, spacious, very clean, upgraded toiletries and a lot of cabinets. I didnt know that booking the executive room comes with complimentary breakfast and free house drinks at the Bone steakhouse their on site restaurant and I'm glad I did so worth it. Their bed are divine and did I mention the complimentary cookies upon check in yum. Definitely coming back, highly recommended hotel.

Room Tip: Executive floor rooms are recommended comes with comp breakfast and drinks in the bar.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay with us! We are all pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I see you were able to stay in a room on our Executive Floor. During the week our Executive Lounge is open, but on the weekends it is closed. Over the weekend, we provide guests, who are on the Executive Floor, with vouchers for the restaurant, since the lounge is closed. I am glad to see that you were able to use your vouchers for the restaurant. We hope that you will stay with us again, and hopefully on your next visit you will have enough time to use our pool, fitness, and business centers. Oh! You can also order the cookies online @ DoubleTreeCookies.com or just ask for an extra one on your next visit! (^_^)
Yorktown Heights, New York
Reviewed 23 December 2011

As you drive up you may think oh no a 1990's Ramada Inn. Fear not. The hotel has gone through a gut rehab and we had a very nice stay in a very gracious hotel. Everything is modern, clean and well attended to; from the rooms to the fitness center to the business center to the lobby. The staff is quite competent and accommodating both at the main desk and in the On the Bone restaurant. Dinner was fine, but the breakfast buffet is an excellent choice. Far better than most hotels, less expensive an very, very carefully monitored by the morning restaurant manager. I have rarely seen such attention to detail, quality and guest comfort in a hotel restaurant.
There was one strange shortcoming. The room lacks blackout curtains or shades and our sleep was disturbed by both the bright outdoor lights and the early morning sun. Puzzling omission.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sjf09
Lawrence_J247, Front Desk Agent at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, 25 December 2011
Happy Holidays and thank you for staying with us! We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay. The building was a Ramada Inn a long time ago, but as you have mentioned we have gone beyond that. Our breakfast buffet is truly a treat. We want to make sure there is enough variety for everyone to have a great start to their day! I am sorry to see that you had an issue with our blackout curtains. We do have them in all the rooms. They are located behind all the curtains and pushed back to allow light into the room. I will take this comment to the proper department to see if we can make it easier for our guests to spot them. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope that you will return soon!
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I have family in Princeton so we have stayed here several times, sometimes in multiple rooms.
Pros:
Rooms are spacious and clean
I am greeted warmly, sometimes by name.
Paperwork takes a minute or two and you're done.
All requested 'extras' - pillows, blankets etc, are in the room every time
Beds are super comfy
Hotel is very quiet
Try the burgers on the room service menu. Yummy
Plentiful bathroom amenities
Breakfast brunch is really good and the servers and hostess are very attentive
Those cookies
Cons:
Wish wireless was included

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LIGrammy
Thank you for staying with us again and Happy Holidays!! We are glad that we can provide with service that you love and trust. We will strive to continue to meet your expectations whenever you stay. May I suggest our kobe sliders, if you have not tried those already. In regards to the internet, this is something that we have been working on for some time. We are trying our best to remedy this for the new year. Thank you again!
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Stayed at the Doubletree for a family gathering in NJ. Wanted to be close to the gathering, but searched (on Tripadvisor of course) for a good value. We needed 2 rooms for ourselves, and our daughters family. This was our first experience with Doubletree, and it exceeded expectations. The room was well appointed, the front desk staff wonderfully helpful, and the included Sunday buffet breakfast was the best that we have had. The pool area (we arrived too late to enjoy it) was beautiful, and a REAL pool with an 8' depth. My only criticism would be the noisy heating unit. Next day, we spent some time in gorgeous, festively decorated Princeton.

1 Thank skordzek
Lawrence_J247, Front Desk Agent at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, 21 December 2011
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We strive to ensure that our guests feel welcome and at home while they stay with us. We do not want you as the guest to worry about anything. I see that you were able to enjoy our wonderful breakfast buffet. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we try to have options that everyone can enjoy. I will pass the issue with the noisy heating unit to the proper department. We do hope that you stay with us again, and enjoy the pool next time. Thank you again and have a Happy Holiday!
Reviewed 12 December 2011

The Doubletree Princeton offers nice and comfortable rooms! Front desk staff that checked me in was super accommodating and very friendly. As I walked to the elevators I met up with a couple of employees of the hotel, and each one were friendly and wanted to make sure I knew how to get to the elevators and wished me a good stay! Room was nice and amenities were good! And I'm very picky with hotels! The only thing that was a little crazy is the maid knocked on my door at 8:20am on a Saturday saying room service!!! This was annoying to me because my checkout wasn't until 11am or 12pm, so why in the world would the maid do this? So my only suggestion to the hotel would be to have the maids come to the rooms on Sat no earlier than 9am and keep the cookies coming!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank sunshine11
Lawrence_J247, Front Desk Agent at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, 16 December 2011
Thank you very much for staying with us recently! We are all pleased that you enjoyed your stay! We strive to create an environment as warm as our cookies. Every guest is special to us. I am very sorry you were disturbed so early in the morning on Saturday. This issue will be communicated to the Executive Housekeeper. However, hanging the do not disturb sign will keep everyone away from your room so you can sleep soundly. We all hope that you will return to us soon! If we do not see you, have a happy holiday!