“Great bed...noisy neighbors”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Disappointed with booking agent mislead us regarding his affiliation with property. Room was great. Shower was wonderful. Restaurant was quiet and food was fun. Staff in restaurant was delightful. Many young adults on premis. Families with crying children. No free breakfast or comp coffee

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
DoubletreePrinceton, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for telling us about your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton. We’re glad that you found our guest rooms and amenities, such as our Sweet Dreams beds to be comfortable. It’s great that you enjoyed dining with us at our Ridgeway Bar and Grille. We hope that you’ll return to us again in the future; we have plenty of packages that include breakfast to suit your needs.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed for a visit to Princeton University. Rented 2 King bed rooms, 1 with a pull out LOVE SEAT. THE MOST uncomfortable pull out I've ever encountered. This should in no way be called or advertised as a "bed." It was horrendous. The King sized beds though were comfortable. Not amazing, but I slept well on them. Our floor (the 5th) had 2 sprinkler heads that were without sheet rock as if in the process of being fixed. There was sheet rock droppings/dust, etc on the floor and it stayed that way for an entire day. I never saw anyone working on the sprinklers and they remained unfixed for the 3 days I was there. I noticed food left outside of rooms to be taken away was left for over 24 hours. (not mine, other in the halls) Trash was not removed from our rooms, just beds made and glasses replenished. My room had peeling wallpaper near the ceiling in 2 diff places. The manager at the restaurant (Annette) on 7/13/14 was one of THE MOST unprofessional "professional" I've encountered in the hospitality business in a really long time. She was short with her own staff, unfriendly with guests of the restaurant and everyone who encountered her, knew she was having a terrible day. It was actually embarrassing and it wasn't even me! On a positive note, the bartenders in that same restaurant on Saturday evening, 7/12/14, were great (a female and a male, cannot remember their names). They were friendly, accommodating but not pushy bartenders. I had to ask for some "bar type snacks" and a brand new can of mixed nuts was opened. Seemed odd that though that at 6:30ish, the bar was not already prepped with any sort of snack...or that we had to ASK for such after sitting down and ordering our drinks. We ate dinner in the restaurant on 7/10 and 7/11 and breakfast there on 7/13. The food was very good. No complaints on it, whatsoever. Front desk staff were very helpful on 7/12/14 when I was asking for assistance in getting to NYC via the Princeton Station NJ Transit. Staff printed out a schedule and made sure I understood everything. Very friendly and not condescending regarding all my questions, as I am from KS and had no idea how the system worked. There is a desk/computer at the front that allows guests to print their airline boarding passes (and some other info type items) and on the day we left, it was not working. Staff allowed me to use their computer (while they stood by closely) to pull up and print the 5 needed boarding passes in my party. That was very very appreciated. Overall, I would not stay here again. Mainly b/c of the lack of cleanliness, the joke of a pull out bed and the breakfast experience I witnessed with Annette. She allowed her negativity and intense aggravation to spill over into the Front Desk area and while printing my boarding passes I had to continue to listen to her complain about whatever it is that was causing her meltdown. Not impressed with that, at all.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Your detailed insight on your recent stay with us is greatly appreciated. While we’re glad that you enjoyed the dining options at our on site restaurant and found our desk staff to be helpful, we wish more aspects of your stay were as satisfying. The experience you’ve described as part of your morning dining experience is not typical of our team and we will be reviewing your comments with them along with our housekeeping staff to ensure that our future guests have the best experience possible. We hope you will reconsider and give us another chance; we’re sure that your next experience will be better than the last.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hotwire sent us to this hotel and we were very pleased with the visit. The hotel looked to be nearly full as there was some type of lacrosse event nearby. Lots of teens in hotel but no major noise events or rowdiness. Rooms are very nice and housekeeping does an excellent job at keeping them clean and in good shape. Front desk staff were very professional; I'm guessing this is the standard for Hilton hotels?

One downside were that WiFi service was not included; you could pay $10/day but we chose not to as it seemed a bit steep.

Only major disappointment was the on site restaurant. We went there for a lite dinner and were seated promptly. Table was not very clean and wait staff was nowhere to be found. Several other tables seemed to be "stranded" as well. After 10 minutes of waiting we left - perhaps they were not expecting the volume of patrons? The next morning we inquired about breakfast and the hostess was a bit rude so we went to eat at a local spot instead.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
DoubletreePrinceton, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your insight on your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton. We’re glad that you enjoyed our spotless accommodations at a great value. We would like to apologize for the service you experienced at our dining facility. This is not typical of our staff and your comments have been shared with our restaurant team to ensure the needs of our guests are being met. We would love to have you back the next time you visit Princeton.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was a little nervous staying at Double tree because I had never heard of it. It was a last minute decision to travel for a short time. I was pleasantly surprise and relief that it was a beautiful hotel. The bed were comfy, the bathroom was clean and well equipped.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
DoubletreePrinceton, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

The comfort and satisfaction of our guests are very important to us and we’re pleased to discover that your first DoubleTree experience was a sensational surprise! We’re elated that our signature Sweet Dreams Beds provided you with rest and relaxation. Your review of the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton is greatly appreciated and we welcome you to return again soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We came to Princeton because we had a reservation we could not cancel. Rate was great, downhill from there. While I don't understand the need to swipe a CC for incidentals as I prefer to pay as I go, I allowed them to do that, not realizing it would be charged immediately to my card. Okay, dummy me.

Room was clean and comfy. Food excellent in the hotel restaurant..

Here's the bad part: went for a swim in the indoor, overly chlorinated pool that is entirely outlined in tile. No slip-proof anything. Combined with about 20 kids in the pool splashing water everywhere, you have the makings of a slippery mess. And having been to a Doubletree in Orlando recently where my spouse did indeed slip and bang down steps, I am very careful about this. I get the no lifeguard and swim at your own risk thing I don't get not proving a safe environment while at the hotel. That pool is an accident waiting to happen and a lawsuit as well.

The TV connection is terrible, the phone connection resembled a party line from the 50's with other hotel staff able to hear the conversation.

Very disappointed and will not stay here again. I write this while STILL in the hotel.

Finally, difficult to see hotel sign from Rt. 1 North.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

While we’re glad you enjoyed dining at our steak house and felt comfortable in your room, we are disappointed to learn that we did not meet all of your expectations. We apologize that our guest room amenities were not to your liking. Safety is a top concern for us, which is why the flooring around our pool is non-slip and our pool is maintained at the suggested level of chlorine. We hope that the rest of your stay went off without a hitch and that you’ll reconsider and join us again in the future. Thank you for sharing your concerns.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stay here OFTEN for business. The staff is friendly and helpful; rooms comfortable; and food good tasting. I frequently have dinner after leaving the office late and am never disappointed. Eating breakfast here every day, the wait staff is attentive to know my "usual order," and are ready to submit my order before I get seated.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

It is always a pleasure having you at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton! Each and every guest that we accommodate is important to us, and we always take note of our guests’ preferences. We’re happy to learn that our Ridgeway Bar and Grille always meets your expectations. Thank you for your warm regards. We can’t wait to see you again.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights over the July 4th weekend. Overall, the hotel is just fine for a few nights stay. The check in was efficient and friendly. The hotel features a decent gym and business center. Parking is plentiful. The location is convenient with many shopping options close by. I am a runner and was disappointed to find that there weren't any safe streets nearby as the hotel is in a very busy area with narrow roadways. The rooms were clean but a bit dated. I didn't try the attached restaurant. Overall, it met my basic needs at a reasonable cost so I would definitely stay at this hotel again should my travel take me to Princeton/Monmouth Junction area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Having you at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton over the holiday weekend was a true pleasure! We’re glad that you experienced prompt service and a good workout in our fitness center. On a future visit, don’t hesitate to ask our team about places to run; Downtown Princeton, the University, and our local parks offer plenty of paths and trails to jog and are easily accessed with our complimentary local shuttle. Thank you for your kind remarks.