“Closer to Real Italian than Most!”

Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza
Ranked #19 of 85 Restaurants in Ramsey
Cuisines: Italian
“Closer to Real Italian than Most!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

A colleague from Italy told me to try Anthony's. What a delight to find pizza that is closer in spirit to the crisp, light pizzas of Italy that the heavy, over-cheesed versions often found in the United States. The roasted cauliflower pizza is a remarkable blend of flavors. The house salad is always fresh and well-balanced with ingredients such as red onion, celery, tomatoes, olives and chickpeas. You can add on mozzarella or gorgonzola. The house dressing is a bit too oily for me, so ask for it on the side. While the eggplant Marino is delicious on its own, it did not work for me on the pizza version. I found it too heavy and laden with too much sauce, but my family liked it and had no complaints. There is also a good selection of beers on tap including local ones, but I always end up with a Perroni and toast Italia! (There is curbside pick up if you want to eat at home. The staff at curbside is prompt and courteous.)

• Visited June 2014

New York
“Great Pizza”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

A favorite for pizza and a salad to share. Lots of sports fans but it is all about the food. They say the pizza is well done, and it is, thin and crispy. Service is fast and a pleasure. Best to go on the off hours, it can get too busy on the weekend evenings.

Visited May 2014
Newark, Delaware
“Excellent”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

A co-worker suggested we go here. After a long days work I thought, "OK just another pizza joint." I was so wrong. He suggested the eggplant appetizer which was delicious. I could of had more of that as my meal. It definitely was not frozen out of a box. The eggplant was sliced nice and thin and breaded layered on top of each other with sauce on top. It was the best eggplant I've had in a very very long time. We then order a brick fired pizza with a couple of topping. It was also very good. The menus seemed a little short with mostly pizza choices but the food was very tasty. I would definitely go back when I'm in the area.

Visited May 2014
Pompton Lakes, New Jersey
“great pizza - can't be the coal burning oven taste”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Anthony’s is a very great place for pizza. If you aren’t going for pizza, I wouldn’t recommend it, as that’s about all they have. We got wings and a salad as appetizers, which were great, very big in size, and then a cheese pizza, which was absolutely delicious. We really enjoyed Anthony’s, and their happy hour atmosphere was great too. They have a lot of good beers on tap, and a lot of martini specials too.

It is a little pricey, compared to your typical pizzeria, but the pizza is much better than your typical pizzeria pizza. If you don’t like the burnt style pizza, from the coal burning oven, it’s not for you, luckily, I love that style of pizza.

They have a nice wine selection too, as I’m a wine drinker, and was able to find a bottle I liked, although their wine glasses can definitely use upgrading, but I understand it’s a pizza and beer place, more than a wine place, I’m just picky with wine glasses.

They have a young crowd, so it can get a bit loud, but not too loud, as we could still talk and enjoy the great food. Having a bottle of wine or a glass of beer with great pizza, nothing better than that. I would definitely return to Anthony’s for pizza, the coal burning oven makes the pizza taste so good.

Visited March 2014
Pennington, New Jersey
“Good pizza could have less char”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Went with a colleague who wanted a light lunch. We ordered 2 Italian Chianti wines and were given some wings to sample which were delicious. The pizza was split in half with one side being the roasted cauliflower and the other being eggplant marino. Both types were delicious but I enjoyed the cauliflower better. My buddy Michael also ordered a single malt Scotch to end the meal. Pricing was around ~$50 which was a bit steep but was because of the drinks. I didn't mind the char but I found that it was a little too much. Otherwise a good thin crust pizza.

• Visited March 2014