“Would never go back!”
Review of La Pastaria

La Pastaria
Reserve with OpenTable
La Pastaria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 146 Restaurants in Red Bank
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We went here for lunch today and it was just terrible. When we walked in the only service person, a young woman, looked directly at me and then turned her back. She was going to let us just stand there. We were the only people there. When I said "Hi!" to her she sat us with a big face on. She asked us if we wanted anything but water before we actually sat down.

After she took our order she went into the front area of place and seemed to be arguing with someone on her cellphone. Also they had the radio blasting and it kept on fading out between stations. We did ask her to turn the radio down and she did.

My husband ordered a pizza and I ordered a salad. Since it took so long to get our food, I had a chance to really look around. This place looks dirty and neglected. They use table linens and I saw that many of them were very stained. Also the service area between the dining room and the kitchen looked dirty - misc dishes, coffee pot, etc. just scattered about. But what really bothered me is the place is so unattractive. The table linens are this strange gold color, there are these fake "broken" Italian murals on the walls, unattractive opaque glass between the dining rooms, the chairs are covered in this unattractive brown fabric, the light fixtures don't work with the room and the ceiling is this cheap drop ceiling. Who designed this place? It is very unattractive.

Back to the food. My salad was standard - no problems. When my husbands pizza was put in front of him I thought to myself "I'm glad I didn't order that". It looked like a sloppy, gloppy mess! I would be surprised if they said they make their own pizza dough. He ordered it well done and it looked limp and it was soggy from how much stuff they put on it. This is NJ - the land of good pizza! My husband ate maybe half of it and the young woman asked if he wanted to take it home and he said no because it was not very good and she didn't say a word and dropped off the check.

On the way out, our young lady was in the front texting away.

I would never go back here - at least the pizza is really lousy, the service is awful and the place is very unattractive. There is no reason to ever go to this place.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Food was good but I think the prices were a little high. I had the special lobster monte carlo... for $27 I kinda expected a little more than 3 medium shrimp and a 3 .oz tail done franchaise style over linguine. My wife had a shrimp dish of similar style with no starch she enjoyed. I did enjoy the food and the service was adaquate...I guess I was just expecting a little more value for the dollar for a byob. I'd still recommend going there.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

The overall atmosphere is lovely, however restaurant was very crowded on the night when we were there and the noise level was near deafening. Food was good--not magnificent; portion sizes were on the average to larger side, although the fresh mozz/roasted peppers appetizer was too small. They ran out of a couple of menu items which is always a disappointment to patrons. However, prices are very reasonable by comparison to other Italian restaurants in the area and we would definitely go back there again, just not with a large group as seating was a bit tight for our party of 8 and there appeared to be only one table in the house that could comfortably seat a larger size group (over 6 people).

1  Thank Joann0523
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Even though the owner is less than friendly and sometimes rude, we have frequented the restaurant on several special occasions. My daughter always wants to go for her birthday so she can get the zeppoli dessert, which they no longer have because it takes 20 minutes to prepare and they can't get you out fast enough in order to turn the table. We were seated on her birthday and the rude woman who is the owner "freaked out" because the host sat us and she was saving the table for someone else. She actually had the nerve to come over to the table while we were sitting and having drinks and make us feel very uncomfortable because she wanted the table, but the host who was embarrassed dragged her away. This time it was my anniversary and we brought our two teenage children with us. It was busy, but we were able to get seated right away. The waiter really didn't want to be bothered, he did the minimum. We ordered dinner. When the food came, my son ordered pizza and when it was put down in front of him there was a black curly hair right in the middle of the pizza! My son was grossed out. I told the waiter, he took it back and they made another one. No one came to the table to apologize. We were offered nothing to make the situation better and we were charge for the pizza. We will NEVER be back and we will make sure to tell everyone we know what a horrible place this really is . Another side note, when my husband was going to the bathroom, he saw the cook spit on the floor behind the line. WE ARE DONE!!

5  Thank Angela J
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We were a pre-theater party of eight. We had a stuffed grouper special which was outstanding. The stuffing included spinach, ricotta and crab meat. The whole dinner experience was enjoyable, and the service was friendly. La Pastaria is a BYOB. We will go back.