“a disappointment”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My veal marsala was skimpy with a very lemony sauce. My friends dinner was a special and was better than my entre. Both were over priced. The atmosphere borders on seedy with dirty windows.I will not go to this restaurant again.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

First of all this was not our first time here so something had to have happened to make this place go so far down hill.
To start we sat down and were told we had to place our appetizer and entree order together and they wouldn't take our order until we were ready with both. Then we ordered drinks and had to ask several times for sweetener for the iced teas.
Ordered calamari app, salad and polenta. The calamari lacked any quantity. I know it was an appetizer order but it looked like it was a plate taken from someone else's table with leftovers. The polenta was supposed to be grilled and wasn't and was very bland. Thank G-d for the salad.
Dinner orders- salmon, veal, a grilled chicken dish, chicken parm, ravioli and shrimp risotto.
Veal, salmon and ravioli delivered - then we sat and waited for between 5-10 minutes for the other dinners. When asked they stated they were short handed , my husbands response are you discounting the food then? We only saw one waiter, a bus boy, a bus girl and the manager. Really on a Saturday night?
Never asked if we needed drink refills. Finally got our drinks after three members of our party were finished with their meals. Food was good but veal was not the proper temperature, risotto had only 5 of the smallest shrimp I have ever seen.
Asked if we wanted dessert and said no only ordered a couple coffees which the manager comped but then we were charged for the refills on iced tea and soda. NEVER EVER have I been charged for a refill in New Jersey.
It's really a shame because this small charming restaurant in ridgewood makes for a nice family gathering on a pleasant summer night. Guess we will have to find a new place!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Probably the best service we have ever had in a restaurant anywhere!Without mentioning how good the food was,I would go back again and again,just because of how nice these people were.We live within 10 miles of this place and had never been here before,it was a Sunday night and I said lets look for a deal,incredibly we used a Groupon and we were still treated like royalty.WE had a perfect calamari dish as an appetizer,and then I had a very good veal dish and my wife enjoyed an Italian chicken entree.Ridgewood,N.J. is loaded with places to eat,but there is none better than La Piazza Bistro !

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Have passed by this restaurant very often but gave it a try with a Groupon. The inside restaurant is warm, cozy. Wait staff were very attentive and not at all troubled that we were using a Groupon, (some restaurants seem irritated when they hear Groupon, even though they signed up for it.) We ordered a salmon dish, with shrimp and artichokes which was delicious and a steak/chicken combo over salad. Both were very good. Will definitely return

Reviewed 21 April 2014

For my birthday, this Italian wanted a good old fashioned Italian meal in a comfortable place that was close by. We have been to Ridgewood many times in the past 28 years, living in the adjoining town but this was our first visit to La Piazza Bistro. We both loved it. The curse of being Italian and then eating in an Italian restaurant is that it almost never lives up to what you get at home. I never order red sauce when I go out because I am almost always disappointed. This visit we both order the mussel app and were surprised with huge, I mean huge mussels in a red sauce. Pleasantly surprised, since the sauce was brilliant, made to order for this dish. Our waitress patiently helped us decide on our entrees- Tilapia with risotto for her, and my chicken cutlets, smothered in Cannalette beans and Rabe with roasted potatoes- Traditional but who expected cannalette beans, both were more than we hoped for. We will be copy this at home and be back here soon I am sure. Perfectly sized portions, friendly staff to whom I mentioned in passing it was my B'day surprised us with a cannoli. The perfect jester and ending to what I have to say was a beautiful meal. Both were specials that day including the fabulous mussels.

1  Thank Nj2florida