Prime Inn
Simpson Motel(Rio Grande)
US$75
US$86
Motel 6 Rio Grande(Rio Grande)
US$80
Shelton Motel(Rio Grande)
US$69
The Sand Box Motel(Wildwood)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$142
Cozy Crest(Wildwood Crest)
US$85
All reviewscoffee makerroom was cleancapepropertywildwoodfridge
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We were attending the Coast Guard graduation, in Cape May, of my daughter's boyfriend, scheduled for Friday morning, August 16th, 2013. We were driving in from: NE Pennsylvania (us), and from Brooklyn, NY(my daughter and a friend) and we decided it would be better to get a room local to the event, so that we would be on time, on Friday. This is the "high" season for the area and rooms are generally either pricey or unavailable and often require a multiple night booking.

I booked the Passport Inn room, with 2 double beds, non-smoking, on Wednesday late afternoon, for arrival Thursday, near noon. I got the room, and the rate was very reasonable ($120 with taxes) and for one night only. We were allowed earlier check-in but ended up not needing it. I called directly after researching online and scoping out rates, availability and location to the event we were attending.

Firstly, I would like to say, that the plan was never to hang out in the room or at the location. I wanted a clean room that was reasonably priced and for one night only. I thought my daughter and her boyfriend might want to stay on for one night, to relax in the area, so I inquired about an extra night. This would have required a move to a room with a king bed, priced at $140 before taxes. (Higher as it would have been Friday night but still reasonable). The multi night minimum was not requested of us. My daughter chose to go home instead (he missed home as he had been away for 8 weeks), so I got the one room for the Thursday night only. I liked having this option open to me though at that late date.

The room was quiet, clean and the staff (Paul and Hita - owners) were very friendly and helpful. The room had a/c, a flat screen tv, cable, refrigerator and microwave, and built in blow dryer in the bathroom. I had trouble getting on their Wi-Fi. If it had been earlier I would have gone to them for a password or instructionsThe room was of a decent square footage.There is a pool, which looked clear and clean. The property is inviting, as it has many flowers at the entrance and the façade of the building was neatly painted.The landscapers were finishing cutting the grass as we arrived. I believe the owners live on the premises.

The facilities are sporting older style decoration but that was of no consequence to our comfort. The carpet was unstained and the bedding was in good condition.The bathroom shower tile was really the only complaint, I had. It could have used some re-grouting near the base, to eliminate some mildew issues. It was not unlike a typical bathroom with low ventilation during the summer. We could have used more pillows - perhaps I should have inquired. I need extra in order to sleep comfortably. The beds were a bit soft too. We did receive extra towels and the tip I offered was refused by Paul. That was nice. We were able to park right in front of the room.

The ac was not productively cool at 72 degrees so we dropped it to 69 to dehumidify and cool the room and it was fine. The temp in the time we were there was low 80's during the day, so this ac might be overburdened when the temp is in the 90's.This may not have been the case in other rooms.

The inn is right on rt.47, close to rt.9 shopping and restaurants. There is a Walmart (not all night Walmart though) and a WaWa nearby if you forgot to pack something. We ate at a great restaurant - Rio Station - a half mile away - best crab cakes I have ever had and I eat them fairly often. The French dip was stellar too as it used a really good cut of beef. The train station décor was very cool.) We ate breakfast at the Flight Deck diner on the property of the tiny airport near the small vintage plane museum and Viet Nam vet memorial - which was very good too. Small and comfortable, with friendly people, good food - ample portion - looking out on the old airfield. (Small airfields often hold some great eateries, I have found.)

We were 15 minutes away from Cape May, longer to Wildwoods, because of traffic, and 10 minutes to the ferry to Lewes, DE. The Garden State Parkway was 1.25 miles south of us, south of Rt. 9. The route 47 area, north of Rt.9 is dotted by businesses (doctor, dentist, car rental), so the area was quiet - these businesses are not open at night.

The area felt safe and the motel, easy to find. The property was well lit too including the pool area. Each motel had a couple of chairs outside the door. However, I would not recommend this to a partying group who want to hang out late at night. It was quiet and felt more residential - a clean place to come to at the end of a long day. I only saw one other set of visitors, at the pool on Thursday- yet the lot was full of cars, at midnight that night, when my daughter arrived. This tells me everyone else was arriving quietly and seamlessly. Nice place to roost without annoyances.

I would recommend this motel. I rated it against other motels, where I have stayed. I prefer hotels but would stay here again, if I were to be in the area.Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for what you might need when you arrive.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We were having troubles finding some place to stay at a price and safe looking place we were willing to experience; this place was recommended by the wait staff at the diner. Clerk was behind plexiglass, as mentioned before in other reviews. She was very nice, though, and made registration quick. The room was nice and larger than most, but nothing fancy. It was clean. There was a nice table and larger refrigerator in the corner. Bathroom was tiny, but...it got the job done. No breakfast at all, not even coffee. Was a safe, clean place to stay. Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnandJana
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My wife and I booked this in March 2013 after discovering that most of the hotels in Cape May were charging considerably more than the last time we stayed. We booked it through Expedia strictly on price. We didn't think to check the ratings here on trip advisor until the day we went, and after we read the poor reviews, we braced ourselves for the worst. Turns out the place has been recently renovated. Clean, freshly painted and quiet rooms. Very functional. We'd go back. I'd bring a pillow from home next time, but thought it was fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KyleH418
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I recently stayed overnight in this motel and overnight was too long! After checking in I went to the room and discovered a whole lot wrong when I entered. The room smelled musty, the bathroom stand up shower (which is all they have) was moldy, the bathroom light fixture receptacle did not work, the night table in the room had multiple burn marks on it and there were bugs jumping around on the rug, I immediately went to the office and asked for another room; the proprietor stated that there were no more rooms and we will not refund your money since we have a 72 hour cancellation policy. So, I was stuck in crud for the night, but they did deliver an extension cord so I could use my blower dryer in the morning. As I was trying to go to sleep in a dark room, the parking lot light was shining in my window since they are too cheap to put curtains on the windows. I will never return to Green Acres.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Margie R
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Outside of motel looks nice with landscaping. Once you pay $130 a night and get your room key there are NO refunds.. The room was filthy.. Bathroom had soap scum and mold on the tiles. I had to go to the store to buy bleach and a scrub brush, Carpet was all stained. One chair to sit at the table. Lamp didn't work. Had to go into office for new smoke detector.. (WE always check) theirs didn't work. Two towels. Thank god I bring my own sheets and blankets. Lord only knows if their sheets were clean. Would never go back. Upon turning in the room key I told them they better hire a new cleaning service because their room was filthy.. If your going to stay at a Motel in Cape May. Jersey Cape and Reeves Motel are your best bet. Very clean and friendly service..

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple