“Clam Chowder = Sinful!”

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 22 July 2014

While New England may have cornered the market on really good Clam Chowder, they would be faced with a large dose of humility if they ever came down to a little restaurant with a big attitude hidden in Southern Jersey.

There is a little known "secret" floating among locals around Cape May and Rio Grande, that if you want really good Clam Chowder, you go to Rio Station. Don't ask questions. Just go.

Whether you are belly up to the bar with cold draft in hand, or entertaining in the comfy dining room, once you order your first cup, or bowl, ahem, bowl, you'll soon be asking for your second.

If you really want to live on the wild side, order a side of mashed potatoes. Forget what those diet gurus boast during those late night infomercials - trust me, a few heaping spoonfuls of the 'taters in your soup, you'll never want to eat Clam Chowder anywhere else.

New England, who?

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I took my family to this restaurant after finding most places closed. He were welcomed with open arms and the waiter was prompt to greet us. I ordered half a rack of St. Louis ribs and mashed potatoes with brown gravy. My wife ordered the pork loin with mixed vegetables. As soon as I got my food which was very fast I started eating the ribs and was totally blown away. The meat fell right off the bone and I could tell this weren't just thrown in the oven. I asked the waiter how they were prepared and he told
me they were cooking since 2pm. The bones were white to the the point that they were also fallen apart. I have to say they were the best restaurant ribs I have ever had. The mashed potatoes were lumpy the way I like them and the brown gravy was definitely home made. My wife was also very pleased with her pork loin and said it was very tender and tasty. The mixed vegetables were also steamed nicely. My daughter got the fried flounder and my son got chicken fingers and fries. Me and and my wife both got a drink, a Long Island iced tea and a rum and coke and paid less then 70 dollars for everything. I hope your experience will be a good as ours!!!!!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Rio Station provides a good meal at a reasonable price. The crab cakes were the highlight, but everything ordered was solid to very good. The only nit pick is the wings in an appetizer were very small, but otherwise, there isn't much to complain about when it comes to the food. For my visit, the service was also very attentive, informative and friendly. Obviously, being on Rte 9, Rio Station doesn't have the atmosphere or ambiance of a seaside restaurant, so, if you are visiting from a nearby town on the shore, you'll have to do without a view. However, the food makes up for it.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Can't believe the lousy service we received this afternoon at the bar. The Bartender was completely in attentive!
We waited forever to for him to take our drink order. We ordered food from the waitress, and she was great-, but when we ask the ignorant bartender TWICE for salt and pepper, he ignored us. We ask for the check when we were done, and he still ignored us-
We left, and will never revisit the Rio Station! We'll be sure to pass this along to our friends in Wildwood as well!

1  Thank nick_edelman
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Visit started out well with a very pleasant experience with the hostess. Our party of 7 was seated fairly quickly in a beach weekend (not a common occurrence near the beach). Unfortunately the experience went downhill quickly... Took about 10 min for our waiter to acknowledge us and then it was to say he'd "be right back". 5-plus min later he was back to quickly take our drink order which took about 10 more minutes to arrive .... And the rest of the dining experience was similar (flagging down the waiter to ask for something and then .... Wait!). The place was busy, but not crazy -- seems just like very inexperienced waitstaff .... Maybe a temporary situation, but we won't be going back again for that reason. Food was decent at a decent price ... But I know I can get that elsewhere. I hope if you go for a visit that they have improved the waitstaff!