“AMAZING coffee!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rockaway
Johnson City, Tennessee
“AMAZING coffee!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Good coffee in a hotel is extremely hard to find. We have stayed in hundreds of hotels across the nation, but the Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway had, by far, the most amazing coffee. What an absolute joy to come down in the morning & have a cup! Not only that, they prepared a thermos full for us as we were heading out so we could continue to enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Lorrie M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us....and our coffee! We pride ourselves in offering our travelers a "home away from home" and what better way to do so than to provide an excellent cup of coffee for our guests! We hope to see you again soon!

Lorrie Miller
Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway
375 Mount Hope Avenue
Rockaway, NJ 07866
Hotel Main (973) 328-0600

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Montreal
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Our room was spotless and the king bed very comfortable. Very convenient location steps from a big shopping mall near I-80. There is a Costco with gas just a 5 min. drive from the hotel. The renovations to the lobby and dining area have been completed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
navarre, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2013

hotel was very clean and staff was friendly pool area was clean and comfortable even though they were remodeling the dinning area it was still clean , it would be nice if they had a some sort of breakfast to go along with they room, breakfast would have been over $11 dollars per person which seems a little steep to me. but other wise it was a wonderful stay and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Seward, Alaska
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My husband was having surgery at Morristown Community Hospital.....since we live over an hours drive away, I decided to look for a hotel that was within easy driving distance to the hospital. There were several hotels closer but I chose this one, for is proximity to the highway, and overall value.
The staff was very accommodating and as a first time solo traveler, I felt safe and comfortable. The room was pleasant and the breakfast was as you would expect from a Hilton.
I was negotiating around the buffet with crutches when the waitress came right over to assist me. She was very attentive and made sure that I had everything that I needed.
The only negative.....I checked with the hotel directly, to find out if the lobby was still under renovation. I was told that the renovations were to be completed the next day. When I arrived five days later, they were still in the process of placing the furnishings and accessories in the lobby and would not be finished for two more days. There was no way the breakfast could be served there so guests had to go to one of the conference rooms at the other end of the hotel (long walk). That may not be a problem for most, but walking with crutches is tricky, to say the least, especially when carrying an overnight bag. Since I always try to make things as convenient as possible, had I know this ahead of time, I would have stayed elsewhere. The hotel staff needs to be more honest when they are answering guests inquiries....and more sensitive to the fact that what seems like a non-issue to them, can be extremely important to the guest with special needs or concerns.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Lake Hopatcong, United States
Reviewed 26 July 2013

They are under renovation so beware! Staff very friendly, amenities were good. Would have liked breakfast in the room which is not offered. Close to many good places to eat, the Mall at Rockaway is great. Enjoyable stay. Pool great for kids. Fitness center good for simple workout. Non-smoking room was LOVELY!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Lima, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I absolutly loved my stay at this hotel! The bed was so comfortable I had a great nights rest. For breakfast I had a made to order omlete which was fabulous. My husband does not like staying in hotels but even he was impressed with our stay in this hotel. The only reason I marked an "8" for the apperance of the lobby is because the lobby was under construction and sometimes things like that are just gonna happen.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Woodbridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I don't even know where to start with this hotel. We had so many issues, 90% of them stemming from the Sales Manager Melissa failing to do anything she had said to the bride. To make a long story short:
-Never told the bride that the hotel was under construction, after 2 months of conversation and negotiations.
-Failed to inform Front Desk that the wedding party had breakfast included, or that we were there at all; rooms weren't ready at 3pm check-in time when we had to leave for the wedding at 3:30.
-Failed to keep an accurate headcount of guests staying at the hotel with the wedding for transportation, even after myself and 2 other couples spoke with her directly and were ensured that we would have seats on the shuttle.
-There were 25 guests or more + 15 members of bridal party needing transportation from the hotel to venue. We came down to discover that for the guests, a 12 passenger shuttle van had been ordered by the hotel. 6 people were left behind, and we had to demand the hotel call us a taxi or we were going to miss the ceremony waiting for the shuttle to come back.
-After taking the taxi, the driver said he was never told by the hotel that the hotel would pay for our trip (as they should have, since it was their error, which Front Office Manager Alex agreed to when I spoke to her). When we called the hotel they said we "left too quickly" for them to tell us they had to go to the bank and give us money for the taxi. (We waited 15-20 minutes for the taxi to arrive) They suggested we pay for the taxi and they would reimburse us when we returned (which we knew would never happen, at this point).
-We returned around 11pm. As everyone was filing into their rooms, admittedly talking at a normal volume because we thought we had the wing of the floor to ourselves, an unknown hotel guest came running out of her room near us screaming and swearing about how noisy we were all being. She called security on us, and I had to speak with the security guard to help him understand the misunderstanding with our room placements.
-Discovered at 7am when awoken by screaming children that they had placed a girls softball retreat directly next to a wedding party- in what world does that room blocking make sense?
-In the morning at the breakfast, we were presented with a bill (not even asked if we had coupons or if we were with a function, at a table with 30 people sitting around it).

The most terrible thing about this stay is that most of these things could have been prevented by Melissa just doing her job and informing the hotel staff. I have to commend Ada at the front desk for her patience and upbeat attitude even with a bunch of grumpy guests checking out and complaining all at once. That really is the ONLY positive thing I can say about this hotel's staff.

We all agreed we would NEVER come back to this hotel for any sort of function. If you were a guest staying on your own, maybe you would have a better experience, but I wouldn't trust them to organize any event that you consider important.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 4th floor- the air conditioning does not work in the hall at all; it was 90 degre...