“Good Place to Stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rockaway
Norristown, United States
“Good Place to Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Overall I would rate this hotel 4 out 5 stars in comparison with budget friendly hotels of its type. I was only there for an overnight stay, so I cannot completely rate, however, it was clean, the staff was competent and friendly and it appeared to have all amenities (i.e. gym, pool, restaurant, bar, etc.). The particular location I stayed at wasn't exactly a resort town, I was there on business, so tough to rate in terms of a vacation type stay, but I would assume based on my stay that a Hilton Garden Inn would do well in a shore or other resort town.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

This review might have even been five stars but for one screw-up the desk staff made when I checked in…a screw-up that had a negative impact on my sleep!

When I stay at one nighters, I really want just some basic things:

1) Plenty of free parking. They had that.
2) Quick check-in. They had that.
3) Decent food options. Their restaurant was adequate.
4) A nice, clean room. Mine was a two-room "suite" and it was very good.
5) Quiet!!! It was quiet.
6) A good bathroom sit-up. They had that.
7) A good night's sleep. Ooops. not what it could have been…

My bed was so worn out (I thought) that all night I felt like I was rolling into the hollowed out hole that was the worn out right side of the bed. It was difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position. When I checked out, I mentioned that someone ought to check out that mattress and replace it. "Oh", the desk clerk replied. "Those are adjustable air beds and all you needed to do was pump more air into the low side."…Duh. I asked how I was to have known they were air adjustable beds and he said, "The clerk at check-in is supposed to explain that to each guest." Well... guess what buddy…YOU were the clerk who checked me in and you were silent about the air beds.

Sooo. A possible rare five-star rating from me was downgraded just because an employee failed to fully do his job. Too bad. Nice place, otherwise.

1 Thank Craig A
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Everything went flawlessly. It has been nicely remodeled in the lobby and restaurant area since my last stay. Everything great in the room. I love the adjustable firmness on the beds. They even let me stop back in later in the day after I had checked out and print my boarding pass when I realized I had forgotten. That was quite awesome as the TSA line at Newark took well over an hour. I'm sure they helped me make my flight. The breakfast was good as well.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Every member of the staff was courteous and seemed to genuinely enjoy making the guests have a pleasant experience. We were welcomed as Hilton Gold members and given a small bag with our complimentary bottles of water, and little treats such as chocolate-covered raisins and mints. We stayed in a Jacuzzi suite and were very pleased with the accommodations. The only small disappointment we had was that the excellent fresh-brewed coffee that HGI usually has available all day in the lobby was removed after breakfast, but we made do with the Keurig machine that was in our room. We enjoyed room service during our stay, and found the food to be very good. Overall, the HGI Rockaway gets top marks, and we look forward to staying again in the future.

Not to go off-topic, but I was a little appalled by the necessity of Richard G of specifying the "Caucasian desk personnel speaking American English." All of the HGI staff who I interacted with (who happened to be of varying ethnicities) spoke and communicated very well. It was a bit of a shocking irony to me that on the most recent Mad Men episode which takes place during 1969, that one of the partners of the firm, Burt Cooper, made a blatant statement to move one of the secretaries from being in the front desk area simply because she was black, and "could be seen from the elevator." It just is appalling to me that here in 2014, a poster would make a comment about "Caucasian front desk personnel" as being a perceived advantage for the hotel brand.....sorry, it just was too ironic in making me think of the Mad Men episode referring to a state of affairs in 1969. Unfortunately, the HGI cannot control having "Bert Cooper" stay as a guest in 2014.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NewYorkGirl
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Enjoyed the pool and hot tub , great stay. Got there late at night, quick check in. The rooms were very nice and clean. Great beds with adjustable firmness. We had a large group, all agreed that they could have stayed longer. Next to a few restaurants, mall and stores incase you want to shop. Very convenient location for an overnight pitstop on a long trip.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Ruckersville, VA, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Excellently located within a shopping mall and easy to find just off major highway. Lobby is lovely. Caucasian desk personnel speak American English and were well trained. Room was serviced and cleaned promptly. Ample free parking.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

New City, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Our recent overnight stay was great to way to kick up our romance. From a up-class lobby to a comfy bed, we made the most of our stay! Love taking my lovely wife away for a fun romantic weekend adventure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockaway
Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway
Hampton Inn & Suites Parsippany/North
Ramada Rockaway
Ramada Rockaway
#2 of 2 in Rockaway

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway? Share your experiences!