“Three Strikes, You're Out!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Rockaway Lanes

Rockaway Lanes
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Rockaway
Garden State
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Three Strikes, You're Out!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I decided to go bowling about two weeks ago for the first time in ages, and I was very excited. It had been years since I had been to our local bowling alley, which I remembered being pretty nice looking inside, and well kept. It still looked well maintained in appearance, but the machines were a whole other story. Before we even began we had to alert someone at the desk that although the pins had been set for a new game that some of them were knocked over and we were not able to manually reset it ourselves. So then we began to play our first game and on the last round we encountered yet another problem. When the pins had reset themselves after my strike they also knocked down a few in the process. Once again my husband went back up to the desk, stood in line and told them that the pins were still knocking themselves down. One of the male employees went in the back which they often have to do to remedy a situation such as this, but they usually come out fairly quickly...except for this time. It didn’t just feel like ten minutes, we actually waited at least ten minutes! Kind of a big downer, kind of throws you off yer’ game...literally. We planned on definitely playing a second game but I wasn’t having any fun at all, so to avoid future problems I preferred to cash out and switch lanes. My husband told the female employee what we wanted to do but her immediate reaction was to try to convince him that everything had been fixed and was now fine. Requesting a lane change seemed like a foreign concept for her to understand, I assume partially because it would require an ounce of effort on her part to cash us out, but my husband insisted. Enjoying a relaxing, problem-free game just wasn’t in the cards for us that night. Now there was a problem with the scoring machine right after my husband’s first throw, and I snagged the attention of an employee zipping right by. I flat out asked if they were having problems with all of the machines that evening and explained our troubles, but he just fed me a mouthful of nonsensical verbal jargon and said that the machines work just fine. Anyone who knows me knows that I don’t appreciate and surely will not believe a far-fetched, fictionalized, load-of-crap story...just tell me the honest truth! I may not know the exact mechanics of how the bowling alley machines work but I do know when I am getting the car-salesman like spiel. I told my husband that we shouldn’t waste our time and our money by continuing the game any further, especially after already having to complain THREE freakin’ times...and the employees couldn’t have cared any less when we turned in our shoes and said we were calling it quits. They didn’t even utter a word to us. Next time we go bowling we have decided to go elsewhere...the benefit of not getting aggravated is priceless, despite how far we have to go. Why settle for a local joint where the employees attitudes suck even more than the machines do? I never remember having a bad time bowling, but hey, there is a first time for everything. This place sure did strike out!

Visited March 2014