“Mixed Impressions”

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Mixed Impressions”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Starland Ballroom is kinda scary from the outside with a "lost in nowhere" roadhouse look. Parking is very rough/basic, and it is sort of insulting that they charge for it. However, inside is a nicely appointed general admission (standing room) small concert venue. Improved notably since the storm damage, the bars and restrooms got a face lift. If you are very tall, or enjoy close physical contact with masses of complete strangers this is definitely the venue for you. Short folks with any hint of claustrophobia think twice before venturing here ;-)

If you aim to get as close to an artist or band as possible, be prepared to come early and stand endlessly. You will do this first on line to get in, then in front of the stage boxed in with little hope of moving. If you value your hearing, locate speaker stacks and adjust your position accordingly (consider bringing foam ear plugs, don't worry you can still hear clearly through them). Use restrooms before the show, and although I recommend hydrating to prevent nausea, don't overdo it. Leaving the stage-front area to use a bathroom can be challenging and means the end of your close-up experience.

Hubby was more inclined to hang out and pay the usual jacked up prices at the bar, and said the sound was better balanced from there and the overall viewing experience was better due to the raised floor level. If I ever have cause to venture back to the Starland Ballroom, I will likely watch from the center rear up on the raised bar area to optimize the listening experience. Despite proximity, down on the floor I saw little more than glimpses past the backs of other concert goers while permanently damaging my hearing less than ten feet from the stage (and speakers ;-))

Visited August 2013
2 Thank CherelleDay

Jersey
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Close venue that books good bands”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I love Starland because it is so close to my house, the tickets are cheap in comparison to other area venues and they book some pretty good bands! I recently returned for their reopening after the storm. Saw Stone Temple Pilots. Parking is available on site and it's not free but where in the world is anyone parking for free at a concert nowadays? I always have to pay for parking and depending on the location, end up walking a distance to get to the venue. Went to Bergen PAC recently and although got to park on the street for free, took me 10minutes of driving around to find a spot and then had to walk several blocks in the cold. So I wouldn't complain about less than 10 bucks to park 60 seconds away from the venue.
The inside appears brighter and ceiling feels like it is higher since the remodel? Perhaps it's just the way it appears, but feels like there is more space in there now, especially the bar area which was very cramped and hard to see the stage from before.
It's general admission but can always see the band perfectly and have never been to a bad show. The cost of tickets is cheap compared to other venues and they have some pretty big name bands that come through. Worth very penny to me.

Visited September 2013
Long Island, NY
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Place to See a Show”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Saw Rodney Atkins there. Place sits by itself. Kinda looks like a Roadhouse from the Outside, You pay to Park on their Property. I heard about the lines to get in, but luckily didnt have that issue. Inside is nice, Plenty of Bar space and areas to find a spot to hang at. We picked a spot by the Main Bar, Stephanie the BarTender was awesome! We had a lot of laughs with the staff at the Bar, show was great, sound system was great for the space!.
Looking forward to attending more shows there!

Visited January 2014
Hubbardston, Massachusetts
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“rough exterior but beautiful inside”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Large ugly building with no free parking in site so I was immediately turned off. Got in a long line because we had tickets-there was no line or wait in the no tickets line. It was annoying to see people streaming past me who hadnt planned ahead like I did. Once I got inside I was actually quite suprised at how nice it was. Beautiful large room with two bar areas in the back. The area behind the bar had a large mirror so I didnt miss a thing while waiting for a drink. Although it was a large crowd the wait for a drink was never more than a minute. They wont let you remove drinks from that area so plan ahead if you want to get in front of stage. If you are there for a show I think you will feel like you always have a good view, I would definitely return and would have my tickets waiting at the will call booth!

Visited December 2013
3 Thank Adornment
Old Bridge
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Experienced better here before they re-opened after the hurricanr”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

First of all parking was terrible. It took forever..20 minutes or so just to get in the parking lot. The parking attendant was rude while collecting my $7 parking fee (when they first opened it was free then $5). I was then yelled at by more than one parking attendants telling me that I could not park in the venue's parking lot. I just paid $7 to park here...what do you mean I can't park here? I was then escorted to some sort of small lot next to the venue in front of some sort of junkyard. The vehicles here were driving all over this lot in different directions and the attendants did not know where to tell people to park. My friends and I has to walk through rocks, dirt, mud and potholes out of this pitch black lot with no street lights. We then had to continue walking to and from the venue on the side of the road. There was no sidewalk and it was unsafe. Inside was a better experience. The staff inside were much more friendly. There are three levels for concertgoers to hangout on. The only food I saw was pizza slices being sold. Beer will run you atleast seven dollars, a fireball shot was six dollars and water is three dollars. Most of the shows I saw here in the past, I did not pay more than twenty dollars for and now it seems as though their prices have drastically rised.

Visited November 2013