“Star Seating?????”
Review of Starland Ballroom

Starland Ballroom
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Have any of you paid for the upgrade to Star Seating? Is it worth it? Enough seats and bar service to justify it?

39  Thank Dino A
All reviews
"standing room"
"pizza"
"opening act"
in 3 reviews
"great view of the stage"
"vip parking"
"society"
"premier"
"lines"

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

We saw Sevendust do their 20th anniversary show of their first album. Great show. Great facilities. Highly recommend. Can get a little crowded sometimes depending on the show but it’s well worth it. Great venue with great sound.

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

I've been wanting to see Social Distortion for a few years. I live in Central Pennsylvania... That being said, I have to travel at least three hours in any direction to see a band of this stature, so Sayreville, NJ and the Starland Ballroom it was.
I left my small hometown driving through the morning gray and fog with high expectations. I didn't eat lunch anticipating a decent meal in a city setting upon arrival at my hotel in nearby East Rutherford. It didn't happen for reasons beyond my control. The hotel was located just off the New Jersey turnpike and a series of other highways and bypasses, so I thought a shower and a short trip by taxi to the venue would give me time to check-out the surroundings, maybe pound the pavement by foot and get something in my stomach before all the mayhem and drinking began. Well that didn't happen either. See... the Starland Ballroom, for lack of a better way of explaining it, sits out in the middle of nowhere in the heart of a few square miles of parking lot! Lol.. Right across the lonely, narrow street from where my driver dropped me off, sat a small one story V.F.W. hall with a man holding a sign, sitting alone in a chair in the middle of MORE parking lot. As my stomach rumbled and a bead of sweat rolled down my back, the hunger shakes were setting in and I wondered, "Could the sign read FOOD? BEER? AIR CONDITIONING?" I had to know! I curiously and nonchalantly strolled across Starland's parking lot and into the drive of the V.F.W. hall. Turns out he was offering parking in THEIR lot at what I assumed was undercutting their neighboring Rock & Roll nightclub. I made my way inside to find a bartender sitting on a stool and a lonely couple sitting alone at the far end. If the kitchen was open, I would be in luck. A burger and fries would hit the spot. I'm not a member but I believe they were serving alcohol to non-members. A Budweiser would have went down great too! But guess what, no kitchen! What? A V.F.W. that doesn't offer fried barroom food? Unheard of from where I come from.... I asked her if the venue across the street served food, but she didn't know. She told me if I wanted to drive a short distance, there was a shopping center of sorts that had the usual pizza, Chinese and Mexican food, but of course I wasn't driving. So.... back across the street, through the tailgating rock & rollers that were enjoying their food and drink in the parking lot, to join the true Social Distortion fans that were there in line since the beginning of time hopeful to get a spot in front of the stage. Today I was one of them, no matter HOW overdressed I may have been.
It was a long wait among the purple haired misfits, skinny jeaned smokers and blazing hot sun until the doors finally opened. It was maybe 7:30 until I went through the metal detectors, empty pockets and all. I had to show my I.D. even though I'm pushing an age far beyond 21. That's not a problem but sometimes I don't have an I.D. on me. Thank God tonight I did. Right in front of me was the merchandise stand, t-shirts, CD's, bandanas and all the same old concert stuff I had to buy as a teenager, but tonight, food was a top priority. Yes! Before I entered the concert hall there was a stand with aluminum bottles of beer on ice and a portable oven warmer with pizza in it. I finally hit paydirt. Obviously the pizza was made off premises but it was food. Two slices of cheese pizza cost me the prettiest six dollar bill I had. I didn't grab a beer yet because I didn't want to wear any of the cheese or sauce on my freshly dry-cleaned white shirt I was wearing. I made my way into the large venue to look around while I inhaled the first bite of food I had all day. My first impression was, this place is nice! I noticed that luke warm pizza would be the only food I'd get as long as I stayed here. Time for a beer... I ordered a Bud and the attractive bartender poured it into a plastic cup and asked for another six dollar bill. Two pieces of pizza and an ice cold beer... I was doing better than a lot of people. I was happy.
A steady crowd poured into the Starland Ballroom and the floor was swiftly getting packed with a cross of all ages and looks one can only imagine. Underagers were identified with a large black "El Marko" X scribbled across their right hand. The opening act started the evening with music and a female lead singer that was easy on the eyes, but that's about all I can say about them. The crowd received them well and made them feel welcome I'm sure. As the hour grew closer for the headliner, the air became thicker and the venue seemed more packed than I realized during the first band. When Social Distortion hit the stage it was somewhere around 9:15 and right out of the gate this band rocked! The crowd in the middle of the floor formed a mosh pit of hardcore fans. The only thing I could see were shirtless men and purple and green mohawks throwing elbows and head butts that were as much as part of the show as the musicians on stage. This night had it all.... music, mosh pit, crowd surfing, cold beer and much needed New York style pizza. I felt the security team did a fantastic job of allowing the crowd blow off steam of the weeks news, politics, lies, relationship and employment problems while keeping order and a balance of seeing a few angry people get out of hand. When it did happen, the situation was defused quickly without any disruption of my enjoyment. It was after 11 until my evening at the Starland Ballroom came to an end.
So let's wrap this review up in a few short words that could have been done in the first few sentences. I liked this place. I've been in a lot of concert halls, barrooms and theaters to see bands. The Starland Ballroom had it together for both safety and an evening of enjoyment. Prices were in check with other venues and "people watching" was at it's best during this show. I'm looking forward to going back again... next time I'll eat before I get there.

1  Thank drftr09
Reviewed 13 August 2017

This was my first and last time to starland ballroom. Went to see Social Distortion which ended up being sold out. Show was general admission so you were packed in so tight there was barely places to move ; maybe besides the restroom areas. I understand the type of show I went to so "crowd surfing " is sometimes a issue; but at this place it was OUT OF CONTROL. They had a descent amount of security and my feeling is , if you are caught crowd surfing and get over the barrier by the stage you should be ejected! This place kept letting the same people come over the barriers time and time again. It is only a matter of time before someone is going to be seriously hurt. I have seen more and more venues starting this policy and I am for it. I am not trying to be negative but it ruins it for people that are just trying to enjoy the show. Two positive notes is they did a decent job on security check in and the restrooms and venue were clean