“Great location good fun”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sea Bright
BeachWalk at Sea Bright
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sea Bright
“Great location good fun”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed once to check it out and already scheduled a return trip. Staff was pleasant and attentive. Tiki bar closed a little early and could use a little extra staff however the food was good. I recommend it for a convenient beach weekend

Room Tip: Choose upper level room for better views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Terry D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Middletown, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Being a local, we sometimes stop in to watch the sunset and have a drink. The service is not so great so we order at the bar instead of waiting at a table. This is surprising especially since many people are here on vacation you would expect a different attitude and more attentive staff. They have live music which makes it nice and the view is great. The location is definitely a bonus but they need more staff to deal with the amount of people that are in the hotel and just dropping in for a drink. Saying all of that they need to make a few changes to make it a more welcoming experience. Great place if you do a self serve instead of using the waiter.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle S
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was so happy and encouraged to see a NJ Sea Bright hotel bounce back from Sandy. Much of the Shore is still recovering. I am sorry to say our stay here was a disappointment however and we would not go back. The positive things are the location, the pool and the Tiki Bar. The location of the BeachWalk is optimal. It sits right between the Navesink River and the Ocean. It is really beautiful. You can see the Atlantic Highlands bridge from the pool and Tiki Bar and you just cross the street and walk over sea wall to a beautiful beach and clear, sparkling ocean with views of NYC to the North. The pool is very nice as well. It is large, clean and well maintained. There are plenty of deck chairs, tables and lounges. I did wonder about access however. I did not see a method of keeping other people not staying at the hotel out. The Tiki Bar is right on the river. It is large and comfortable with a great view. The food is terrific. We ate there a lot. The problem is that they were always out of something. One morning they were out of milk. Yes, milk? Another, out of eggs. One day they were out of crab cakes which is understandable I guess. The staff/waitress at the Tiki Bar did not really even apologize for the unavailable selections it was more of a well you can't predict what will sell and what won't. Not a good answer. A restaurant owner should be able to forecast after two years in operation. Also, I was with a large party with children and one of the employees asked when we'd be back so she could make sure she wasn't there. Okay, maybe a joke but that is not a good way to make people feel welcome. On the bright side, the fish tacos were excellent.
I have to agree with Kate3671 about the management. They were unprofessional and disorganized and ill-equipped to handle the summer NJ Shore surge. I got a lot of excuses when I approached them about problems. Customer Service was very lacking. The BeachWalk advertises free wireless. We had ZERO wireless access the 5 days we were there. The Manager said he walked around with his phone and had no problems. So I guess we are liars. Parking is chaotic and dangerous. No reserved spots for guests. So Tiki Bar patrons take over the place over the weekend. Bikers and loud music and just not my thing. There is no on-site staff after 10PM. I was given only one key to my room and it was very inconvenient. I asked for another key (there were three people in my room) and the Manager said they didn't have one because the previous guest lost it. Excuses. They have no business center. So with no wifi and no business center you can't get any work done or even just "play" on the computer. The rooms are fine. They are very simple but they are clean and attractive. Maid service was actually pretty sporadic. We got service once over 5 days. I went to the "office" twice for towels. One day they came to my room while I was napping and they said "no service" and I said "yes service" and I started to leave and they said again "no service" and I said "YES SERVICE PLEASE" they seem so eager to just pass by our room. Mattresses are hard. I was napping because I did not sleep well at night. We asked for a late check out and were not granted it. The manager actually walked around to all our rooms to make sure we were out. So it is really too bad because this could be such a great place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Army4U
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 July 2014

**CliffsNotes version: Stayed here for one night. Accidentally locked myself out of my room shortly after arrival (around 10:30 pm). They have no on-site staff coverage after 10 pm. It took the hotel manager over an hour to get me back into the room. He was rude, made excuses, and never apologized. He then told me there he had no supervisor at the hotel that I could speak with to report the incident. I absolutely can’t recommend this hotel based on the quality of its employees.**

I stayed at this hotel on a Friday night for a rate of $230 with tax and AAA discount. I should say up front I was very much predisposed to like this place—I was having a great mini-vacation with friends, and was in a fantastic mood upon my arrival (though tired after playing and swimming all day). Unfortunately, Drew--the apparent manager of this hotel--did his best to make me forget that.

I arrived at the hotel around 10:30 pm. Because there’s nobody on duty at that time, I picked up my keys from the mailbox and went to my room. I set down the few things I was carrying, and walked out to get my bag out of my car. As the door closed behind me, I realized I’d left both keys inside the room. That’s my bad--I wish I hadn’t done it. But it’s a very easy thing to do there (old-school metal keys, and the door closes itself behind you); in fact, while I was waiting to be let back in, I heard another couple ask to be let back into their room because they’d done the same thing.

At 10:42 pm (based on my phone log), I called the night-duty number on the hotel office door. Nobody answered, so I left a message. A few minutes later, someone named Drew called me back. He said it would take him 15 minutes to get to the hotel to let me in. I saw a young guy pull up on his bicycle around the 15-minute mark, and then I saw him scurrying around various areas of the hotel. Around 11:15, he called me to say his colleague had locked the master key in a drawer, and he was trying to find the spare key to the room. “But I’m hustling to find it.” At this point, I was still good-natured about this but starting to get annoyed (and cold—I didn’t have a sweater and there was no place to sit indoors and wait).

He called back a few minutes later again. “I can’t find any of the keys. I have to go to Long Branch to get another master key.” I asked how long that was going to take—he said 15 minutes each way. I asked if he was seriously telling me it was going to take him AN HOUR to get me back into my room, and he snapped “Hey, I had to leave a family party to come here because YOU locked yourself out of YOUR room! My colleague locked the key in the desk! It's not my fault!” I said: Enough, just please get me into my room because I’m exhausted and I’m freezing.

Long story short(er), Drew finally appeared at 11:43 to let me into my room. No apology, nothing to acknowledge this massive screw-up. In fact, he continued to give me attitude. And when I checked out around 8 am, there he was in the office. Again, no apology—just rudeness. I asked him to confirm his name, which he did, and I asked for the name of his manager. “That’s me.” So—you’re telling me there’s no supervisor I can contact to discuss this? “Right. I’m the manager.”

A couple of other quick notes. Basics that were not in my room: soap for the sink or shower, hair conditioner, hair dryer. Also, although the hotel says on its web site that ‘quiet hours’ are from 10 pm-8 am, I had to go ask the Tiki Bar people to turn off the very loud music they were still blaring (with no customers in the bar) at midnight.

I’ve seen other comments from the hotel manager on this site arguing that the expense of their rooms is justified because it offers value comparable to other area properties. You be the judge. If you locked yourself out of your room at 10:30 pm and were exhausted and needed to sleep, would you be cool with them taking an hour to get you back in, and then acting like they were doing you a huge favor? I wasn’t.

PS: The rest of my mini-vacation continued to be awesome--no thanks to this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Kate3671
Joe K, General Manager at BeachWalk at Sea Bright, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Kate3671
Thank you for your sharing your experience through Trip Advisor. As one of the investors of this hotel and on behalf of all of the owners I apologize to you for not meeting proper expectations. It is unacceptable for anyone to be kept out of their room for the time you endured. I have personally discussed the matter with our hotel manager and I will ensure this type of thing never happens again.
I will address the room's toiletries with our house keeping staff as well as the loud music. Our policy is to have quiet time from 10:00 PM on and music to midnight will not be tolerated.

My sincerest apologies once again.

In closing our company has made great improvements to the entire property. We have had many favorable reviews on Trip Advisor. We strive provide our quests with a great experience. I am very sorry your experience was an unhappy one.
Kingston, New York
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Huge kudos to the far sighted person who purchased this property (formerly the Fairbanks) a few years ago and put the hard work and money into it to make it a really wonderful place to stay. The last time we were here (perhaps 3-4 years ago) we said that would be our last. It was run down and a bit creepy - like a sleazy motel from a grade B movie. We tried a few other Jersey Shore destinations hoping we would find something else we really liked - and we did - but nothing that can compare to the great location of the current Beachwalk!

It's situated directly across the street from some of the most beautiful beaches in Jersey and tucked in next to the Shrewsbury River, so you have lovely views all the way around. They have a fun and funky Tiki Bar and grill which means you can have a cocktail and look at the view most any time of day.

The pool is really one of the nicer features of the motel - which brings me to my only complaint this trip. We arrived on a Sunday to a pool packed with kids and people. The wind was howling and it was a bit chilly so we passed on a swim thinking we'd wait till Monday when the weekenders had left. Long story short, the pool was out of commission for three days and we only squeezed in a quick dip Wednesday evening before sunset when they reopened it. I understand there were problems that appeared to be "out of their control" - extensive rain hampered their efforts to get it together evidently, but we were very disappointed to not have the experience of lounging by the pool and enjoying the beautiful views in all directions.

This hopefully was just a blip on the radar of a place that I'm a huge fan of. but for us it meant the stay was just short of perfect.

Room Tip: We like the rooms facing the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I have been coming here for years ever since the new owners took over this is a piece of paradise in Sea Bright NJ. The rooms are clean comfy and brand new. The staff especially Drew and Angelica who are at front desk make reservations and are there to help in all your needs welcome their guests with a smile. The rooms all have a view of the river or the ocean which is spectacular. The tiki bar on the river serves breakfast lunch and dinner and drinks with atmosphere is a must see. Susan is at the entrance to greet you.. Let me not forget the beautiful huge pool overlooking the river. A must Se and stay place

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We love staying here when we go to Sandy Hook. Clean, bright rooms, pleasant staff. Nice bar /grill on site. River on one side beach in the other. Great pool on site, good place to relax. Close to attractions and stuff to do. It doesn't get any better!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Comfort Inn Middletown
Comfort Inn Middletown
#1 of 1 in Middletown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch

Been to BeachWalk at Sea Bright? Share your experiences!