“A good value”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sea Girt
Buckeye, Arizona
“A good value”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I booked through a third party website on the advice of Kayak. Before doing so, I read the reviews here. Upon arrival I was treated cordially by the front desk and found my room to be spotless. Now, this is a motor lodge near two major beach towns that are notorious for attracting the party crowd- Manasquan and Belmar- so I appreciated the strict quiet policy.

Everything was fine except the ambient temperature in my room- it was actually a little too chilly. The property uses a central air system with thermostats in each room instead of a dedicated unit for each room. I closed the vent but was still cold all night- what can I say, even though it was Labor Day I'm from Arizona.

Brought the issue up to the attention of the front desk, which was manned by the same person as the night before- that person is not the owner, just an employee. Brought the issue up again several hours later, and still no results. So, I called the customer service number for the booking company and told them my issue as well as submitting an email. In less than an hour there was a knock on my door- the desk clerk had a brand new portable room heater, the non-glowing heat element kind that resembles a miniature radiator. That was at ten minutes after seven at night. What was hilarious was that when I checked my email, the booking company had sent me a reply that arrived in my inbox exactly three minutes before the knock on the door. The email stated that they had been in contact with the motel management and that they were told that my situation was addressed.

Everything else was great in my room. On my fourth night, I came back to the room to the smell of cigarette smoke- this is a 100% non-smoking property. Each room has a notification that smoking is prohibited and that there is a heavy fee levied for cleaning rooms where someone has smoked. That wasn't the only issue though- there was a woman checked into the room next to me who was so loud in her phone conversation that I could hear it, especially her predilection for using the F word- and I mean every other word, I exaggerate not. This was unacceptable to me on both counts, so I called the front desk- I explained that even with my vent register tightly shut, the smoke was coming in my room and I could hear her clearly.

Less than five minutes later there was drama out in the parking lot- I opened the door to see what new social gaffe my neighbor was causing, perhaps a smack down? When I opened the door there was the property owner standing in front of the neighbor's door, and he politely gestured to me to please close my door and let him take care of the situation. What ensued was a conversation where the owner politely informed the guest that it was a non-smoking property and that she was not permitted to smoke in her room. Instead of being compliant, she got belligerent with him. He informed her that it was within his rights to charge her a cleaning fee, and that she needed to stop smoking immediately. She would not agree- I mean he was giving her a chance to stay if she would simply comply with policy, but she wanted to fight with him. More words were exchanged, and then she was in her white Mercedes and taking off from the property. After that, no more smoke in my room, no more F bombs heard through the wall. I was grateful.

I checked out after four nights, went to Philadelphia for two nights, and then returned to the Sea Girt lodge for my second booking, this time a three night stay. Different room but same high standard of immaculate housekeeping, artfully folded towels, quiet, and accommodation for my need for a heater from the front desk clerk.

Overall both my stays were pleasant, with the paramount issues and cleanliness and smoke free environment addressed. Being situated in what has become the "Bed Bug Belt" of the USA, even in five star Manhattan hotels, I give big props to the Sea Girt Lodge for providing a safe, clean, quiet room where I could rest and relax.

Room Tip: Bathrooms have windows, hair dryers, exhaust fans and heat lamps- adequate ventilation plus the wind...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank YouAreWhatYouRead

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 September 2011

DO NOT STAY AT THE SEA GIRT LODGE...My friends and I recently stayed at the Sea Girt Lodge for a wedding. We are all adults who are mostly married couples, however the staff at the lodge chose to treat us like children. When we checked into the hotel we were informed by the desk manager that the hotel would have us arrested if we jumped into the pool after hours. I found this statement extremely odd since I have never been threatened by hotel staff upon checking in. We let the statement go and went to the wedding and reception, and upon returning to the hotel at 11p and were immediately harassed by the hotel's night manager who said that our car was too loud. I went to speak to him in the office, because the keycard for my room wasn't working. I said that I was sorry that the car was loud, but that we were not going anywhere for the rest of the evening so the car would not be turned on again. He responded by threatening to charge our credit cards fines and kick us out of the hotel. I said we would all be happy to leave if he were willing to refund our money, as I did not appreciate the way we were being treated. He said that he would not, so I told him that while most of us would be going to bed some us would be congregating in one of the rooms and to please call the room if he felt that we were being to loud. He said that it was almost midnight and that we should just go to bed. I said that he had no right to tell me to go to bed. At this point I left and did not here from him again until 5 am, when he called my room and awoke myself and my girlfriend to tell us that we were being kicked out of the hotel along with two of the other rooms from our group. I argued with him for over half an hour. He was extremely rude and threatened us repeatedly. I finally decided to return to my room and go back to sleep, telling him to call the police if he wanted me to leave. In the morning we checked out and asked about our fines. We were told that we did not have any and that the night manager admitted he may have called the wrong rooms for the noise complaint. We were told that a room had said when they checked out that the room next door had been a little noisy, but none of the rooms we were in were next to that one. The day manager said sorry, but did not seem to care. IF YOU WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE AN UNRULY TEENAGER stay at the Sea Girt Lodge, but if you want to be able to sleep through the night uninterrupted and not be threatened and harassed, I strongly recommend staying at another hotel. If you choose to stay in the Sea Girt Lodge anyways I wish you luck and remember that you were warned.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank GRM8
theseagirtlodge, Webmaster at Sea Girt Lodge, responded to this review, 14 October 2011

Thank you for choosing Sea Girt Lodge for your recent stay in our area.

• Staff members received additional training in the courteous, respectful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

• Management received extra training in making sure that they were certain of the facts and calling the right room when a complaint has been made.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Sea Girt Lodge. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Travellers are raving about these Sea Girt hotels

Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Went to the front desk to inquire about moving to another room, to which i was looked at blankly and pretty much ignored. Room had an unpleasant smell to it. Most likely not re-booking this one.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank RedneckM70
theseagirtlodge, Webmaster at Sea Girt Lodge, responded to this review, 16 September 2011

Thank you for choosing Sea Girt Lodge for your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was informed of the unpleasant smell you reported in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its elimination.

• Front desk staff received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Sea Girt Lodge. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed 26 August 2011

The hotel was well kept up. Very, very clean. Quiet. Definitely will stay here again. Small rooms but usable. Good service.

Room Tip: We used Hotels.com and got a reasonable price. Stay Sun-Thurs for the best rates
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FreqTraveler830
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My family and I stayed there last week; the place was clean with lovely bushy impatiens everywhere. The pool was clean with no annoying chorine smell and we enjoyed jumping in there after a day at the beach. We reserved online and had no problems with that process. We would come back again. (We did not want to stay too close to the beach; it was easy to go to the beach and the Point Pleasant boardwalk from here.)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Philadelphia
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed at the Sea Girt overnight. We used the room to shower and sleep. The room was in immaculate condition when we left. I even went so far as to pile the towels next to the sink and tie up our garbage in a bag. We were charged a $150 room cleaning fee. They tried to tell us we put two holes in the wall and left the room a mess. We have asked for receipts for the damages done to the room and they have refused to supply them. Horrible hotel and very rude hotel staff. They continuously hang up on me as I try to get to the bottom of this situation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kristen S

Thank you for choosing Sea Girt Lodge for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about the possibility of having the rooms inspected upon the time of checkout, so that the condition is known to the management and our valued guests and agreed upon.

• Management was approached about giving you copies of the receipts for damages done to the room.

• Staff members received additional training in the courteous manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Our 3rd trip to this property. Clean, quiet, basic. No more, no less. Not a resort. A place to sleep and shower. The beaches are the real attraction.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
#2 of 6 in Spring Lake
Atlantic Inn & Suites
Atlantic Inn & Suites
#2 of 5 in Wall Township

Been to Sea Girt Lodge? Share your experiences!