“Not what we had expected - look for something else”

Days Inn Seaside Heights/Toms River
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Seaside Heights
GreenLeadersBronze level
PA
“Not what we had expected - look for something else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

Found This on the web. Looked at several websites and read reviews. I am not sure what people are thinking when they write their reviews.

We arrived at approx. 1:30 pm on a Thursday and were planning a nice relaxing five day stay. However, we checked out about 11/2 hrs later.

When we arrived I was expecting to see a nice pool. Extremely tiny. My pool in my backyard is larger. The walk up the stairs to our room was a littel scary. Ok, put my doubts behind me and opened the door to the room expectign to see somehting a little better. But it only got worse. Room was very small, dark, musty smelling and very old and run down. Prices are extremely over priced for this hotel. The restuarant is not much better. The bedspreads were very worn and smelled. The bathroom, well I think I would have rather taken taken a bath in the bay. A little scary.

We have traveled alot and stayed in numerous hotels, and I must admit that this was one of the worst, if not the worst.

We searched and have to admit that there are alot of over priced, runned down places to stay. However, there are also some very nice places too. Just keep looking, you will find one.

Word to the wise, don't always belive what you read, you must see it also. Also, found out that some of the hotels put thier on reviews on these websites, so be careful.

Will not return to this hotel, but will return to the other place we found and to Seaside Heights. Very nice for families and great place to relax. Beaches are clean as is the boradwalk and the waterpark is a must, the cleanest one we have ever been to.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The dark, creepy, dirty and old run down rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
seasidetrains, Owner at Days Inn Seaside Heights/Toms River, responded to this review, 24 May 2009
We have just joined Trip Advisor. The Cranbury Inn is a Family Owned New Jersey Shore Type Motel which has been in business for over 40 years. We have hundreds of customers who return each year, some who have been coming for over 20 years. We have owned the motel for 9 years and offer family friendly, clean and comfortable accommodations.
Sorry our accommodations were not what you were looking for. Our motel was build 40 years ago and we do not have a large pool area. Our pool area is set up with tables and chairs. We find it works great for families sitting around and having a good time together. However because we do not have a large pool area it is not set up for lying down and taking a snooze while soaking up the sun. Our motel is not rundown, it is older and near the ocean but we do keep it up with taking care of it.
Since these comments are from last year and I do not remember you, I assume since you were not happy with your stay and you did not stay the 5 nights we did give you a refund of remaining nights. Unfortunately you cannot satisfy everyone but we do try. Thanks for reading our comments have a great day and I hope to see you this summer.
Keith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2008

We stayed for 3 nights and had no real complaints. The room was clean (a little small-but I figured it would be), maid came every day with clean towels, breakfast was good, the pool and pool area was clean (pool area small) and quiet. The parking lot is small (tight squeeze) but there are two spots on the road reserved if you can get one of those. We had a pool view room and it was a very good location. We always drove to the beach only because we had too much stuff to lug. Heiring St. beach very nice, away from the crowds. Sunday nights they have movies on that beach, Monday nights a band. Overall, very pleased with our choice for Seaside Heights.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
PHOENIX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2007

I was shocked at the age of this hotel and the disrepair. From the outside the pool area is very clean and it fools you into thinking the rooms will be okay. The bathroom was moldy and rusty. The bedspread appeared to be filthy and there were blood stains on the carpet. It was a nightmare of an experience. I tried to switch rooms only to be shown two other rooms that were equally as awful.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Seaside Heights hotels

staten island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2007

IF your looking for the trump towers then the cranbury inn is not for you but if you want a clean well kept family owned little bit of heaven at the busy nj shore then this is it .my family and i found it to be quiet and far enough away from the motels that cater to drunken teens.I have two teens and they had a great time thank you cranbury inn the spangler family

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2007

My husband and I have been staying at the Cranbury Inn for almost 20 years and have always had an excellent experience. Our room is clean and pleasant. The owners (the Stecs), Marge in the office, and the housekeeping and breakfast staff are pleasant and courteous. The inn is just 3 blocks from the ocean and within walking distrance of restaurants and attractions. The location is perfect since it is at the end of town and therefore does not have the noise found in the center city hotels. The swimming pool is the largest in the area and parking is ample.
We return not only for the inn, but because of the peope who work the inn to perfection. The Stroheckers from PA

Stayed June 2007
Northern NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2006

It appears impossible to get a nice room on the Central Jersey Shore, but some are at least tolerable for a few nights. This one wasn't.

We arrived late one evening for a one night stay that had been reserved the week before with a credit card - no refunds. We found the room to be so grubby and smelly that we opted to drive back home instead of staying in it. It smelled of mildew and cigarette/cigar smoke - we had not been advised ahead of time that it was a "smoking room." It was also tiny, dingy, spartan and the bed crinkled when sat upon, as though there were some sort of plastic, incontinence-proof mattress cover beneath the sheets.

This place is a no-go, even by Jersey Shore standards. Its website makes it look far better than it is, inside and out. This room cost $179.00 for one night! They now refuse to refund even the *half* of the total room cost I requested from them in an attempt to settle the dispute.

Beware the *No Refund Policy* that seems standard among these small hotels. You have no recourse if the hotel doesn't live up to what they represent - even credit card companies cannot get involved where this policy is in place.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank animalplanet
Zanesville, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2006

II take my kids to Myrtle Beach each summer and I have never been to the Jersey Shore before. The hotels in Myrtle Beach are much cheaper and fancier. The beach at Seaside Heights was very clean and nice. My husband and 2 friends spent the weekend of 7/14-7/16 at the Cranbury Inn. The Cranbury Inn is old. Our room was clean and the a/c worked. The bed was comfortable. The only problem with our room was the water in the shower kept getting hot than cold. Our friends shower did not do this. They had a dirty towel. The parking lot, however was not designed for SUV's. The breakfast in the morning was free and nice, but for the price it should be free. The pool was clean and small. I like to lay out by the pool, but the pool area is so small you couldn't even move the chairs around. I would not stay here with my children because the pool area is just to small. I would probably stay here again for the weekend with my husband. I travel alot and stay in many different hotels, I have been in better and I have been in worse.

• Liked — Free breakfast
  • Disliked — Pool area
  • Tips/Secrets — Once you get a parking spot, do not leave