“The Gangplank - Similar to Motel 8”
Review of Seaside Sands Inn

Seaside Sands Inn
Seaside Sands Inn
Ranked #39 of 39 Hotels in Seaside Heights
A TripAdvisor Member
“The Gangplank - Similar to Motel 8”
Reviewed 10 October 2005

We spent a week at Seaside Heights at the Gangplank, family of four - two adults and two children, 15 & 10. It is what you would expect at a base rate of $65/night. Our room was average. Two queen size beds, TV, refrigerator, microwave, table & chairs and the bathroom. Our room was clean and for the most part presentable. The only complaint was that the bathroom door handle was ready to fall off. The manager was certainly accommodating. There is no housekeeping during your stay. I actually prefer it that way - no strangers in my room. We asked for more towels and toilet paper - nothing was a problem. He also gave us beach passes for the days we were there. The parking is "very" tight. This motel does not have a pool. We were busy at the beach all day and boardwalk at night. Certainly didn't miss the pool. This motel is a great value if you're on a limited budget - as we were since this vacation was definitely last minute - we didn't have a lot of $$$ set aside. I read some of the negative comments before I actually booked the room. I thought - oh what the hell - we're only going to be sleeping there anyway. The location is excellent. I have to admit - it certianly isn't as bad as the comments I read. I think if you go into knowing that this isn't the Belair.........and the manager and staff deserve just as much respect as you do - it's all good. In comparison - If any of you have stayed at a Motel 8 - it's similar to that.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 10 September 2004

The old saying proves true! The location was GREAT but the place was absolutley filthy!!!! The manager, how should I say...he seemed nice on the phone but once i met him, I guess I could say that I didn't feel really comfortable staying there, not creepy maybe just crooked. We stayed one night, then went to the Hershey, that was better(didn't see any other hotels, so I can't really compare it to anythiing else). My advice: If you stay at the Gangplank, bring your own sheets, blankets, pillows, towels, all toiletries, flip- flops to wear in the shower and on the carpet and plan on spending as LITTLE time as possible in that room. It's very possible, there's a lot to do(the beach, the boardwalk, clubs and all that stuff). If you're looking for The Drake, The W or a place like Bally's or Belagio, this place is a cardboard box compared to those. Good luck and remeber to ALWAYS ask to see any room before you check in.

• Stayed January 2005

Travellers are raving about these Seaside Heights hotels

Reviewed 15 July 2004

It was the worst experience EVER! We stayed one night and got our money back. They tried to take our money up front but we would not let them. The room was SOOO NASTY. The carpet looked and felt dirty, therefore we wore shoes the whole time. Thank goodness I brought an extra blanket and pillows. The bathroom...lets not go there. No lock on the door and you could see the outside even when the door was shut. The manager...if you want to call him that, kept saying they were remodling and our room was one of the clean ones. I wonder were they get there stuff. I would not recommend this place even to my enemy. DO NOT GO HERE no matter how cheap you are. That was my case. We went some place else and had a fabulous time. OH...and they let some sketchy people hang around the hotel. I did not feel safe here at all or leaving my stuff in the room when I was gone.

Reviewed 13 April 2004

Three friends and I, all teenagers, decided to take a summer weekend getaway trip to Seaside. We went to the Gangplank and bargained our room down to $60 for the night. The manager took us to a room where there were two queen beds, one of which had a completely unlevel/tilted bed. According to the manager, "no room is perfect", so we went to the next room. We were all settled in, as we happily noticed a refridgerator and table in chairs that was not in the first room. We agreed to stay in the room until we realized that the room had no lock on the door. So we went to the next room, which had two king beds. The manager told us that the problem with that room was that there was only one key to the room; whenever we wanted to get in we had to knock on the manager's home, which was above the lobby. At one point, he asked my friend her age, and then proceeded to make a pass on her. Later, we were greeted by a family that had been living in the hotel for months who wanted to know what unique furniture was in our room. We also discoverd a hole in the shower. Needless to say, it was a one-of-a-kind experience. At least the hotel is only a block or two from the boardwalk.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 October 2003

The gangplank is just a step up from sleeping in a cardboard box on the street. The toilet was full off waste and wouldnt flush. The room smelt the tv was broken holes in the walls, and barf in the draw. I would not stay in that room they gave me my money back but not the deposit. This place is a lowlife run down garbage dump.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 August 2003

spent almost 200.00 for a night and it was a nightmare. I felt like I was at a crack house. Holes in walls and mattress', roaches, dirty, and water didn't go down in shower. Not a place to take your family.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member