“Real gem of a motel!”

Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Real gem of a motel!”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I travelled to Seaside during the Labor Day weekend with my friends. There was no room available, so we went for Seagem motel inspite of the bad reviews I had read. To our surprise, the rooms were very clean and comfy; facing the clear poolside. We enjoyed the barbeque by the poolside, the free beach passes and the breakfast coupons. Such a service was very well worth the price. ON questioning the manager about the kind of reviews, he explained the transition of management of the hotel and the quick responsibilities they have assumed to put things in order. Enjoyed my stay thoroughly.

Room Tip: Poolside view is nice
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jk_2106

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Well our stay didn't even last one night. We have stayed at this hotel many times before but will never stay again. First off we didn't get the correct room that we reserved, okay that happens. We get to our room right after it has been cleaned and we find food still in the oven and weed in the cabinets. Lastly some guy walked past our room and mentioned something about bed bugs, great. So we checked our beds and sure enough there were not only dead ones but live ones with larva. We asked management what they were going to do about it and they said they will give us another room. Okay whatever we looked at another room and it was worse, by this time it's almost midnight and we can't stay there (did I mention I have a one year old with me). They offered us a room at there sister motel next door, which we said no since if it's anything like this one we don't want to stay there. So I left to find a room somewhere else. In the mean time they wanted to charge is for one nights stay, really we were only in the room a few hours. So we decided to get the police involved. They agreed with us that they were truly infested with bed bugs, they got management to give us a full refund. Also they called an exterminator and the ocean county health department. We have contacted the New Jersey and have begun whatever is needed to make sure no one else has this problem. Please don't stay here. We found a great place a few blocks away, the desert palm inn (see my review). The sea gem was filthy, management was rude, and this place almost ruined our vacation after a 6 hour drive.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank C7SAIL4EA

Travellers are raving about these Seaside Heights hotels

East Rutherford
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My fiance and I were supposed to spend a couple of nights at this motel. We had stayed there about 3 years or so ago and the rooms were clean and not expensive when it was family owned and operated. They now have a new owner and it is disgusting and filthy. I'm glad we asked to see the rooms before paying because we saw about 5 different rooms and they were equally dirty and disgusting. I felt like I needed to jump into a shower after leaving there. Also, the guy at the front desk said the rate was $169 a night plus tax but once he saw I was hesitant to stay he kept dropping the price down. His last offer was $150 including tax, however, if he gave us the room for free I wouldn't have stayed there. It's a shame a place like this is allowed to be in business.

Room Tip: Run don't even walk away from this dump!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Randi R
Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This place is absoulutely RANCID, HORRID, DISGUSTING. We stayed in the appartnemnts....and its said when the two bedroom rooms are CLEANER than the APARTMENTS. Worst 2 days of my entire life, We were greeted by a smelly room, with Wet floors, and counters, a Fridge not cold, a front door with a broken door without a lock, dents in the walls, stains everywhere, and MOLDY PIZZA IN THE MICROWAVE from the LAST people who stayed theyre who knows when?!?! We had to check for bed bugs, and we waited 4 hours for the room to be ready, i guess the creepy maitnance man was lazy on the boards. We came to have fun, and left in a hurry, dont walk away from this gem...RUN. This place is below terrible.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank jratta777
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This place was terrible to look at. When we arrived the outside looked very runned down. The rooms were disgusting to look at, could not even imagine sleeping in them. The rooms smelled terrible. Stay away as far as possible from this place. We asked for our money back and left to find another motel. See the Colony motel comment.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MS7026
Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 August 2011

In all my years of travel, this is by far the worst hotel/motel I have ever stayed at. We had booked the 3 bedroom apartment, and it was filthy.
No doors on the closets, food left in the microwave. I have seen better furniture at the dump. The swimming pool was small, and dirty.
I cannot emphasize enough what a terrible experience this was.

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a good room here.
Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank frasor
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Booked online at the Sea Gem Motel and let me tell u what u see is not what u get. As soon as we got there we saw the matresses outside of the rooms the outside looked disgusting but we checked in and once I went to the room it smelled like urine the furniture was disgusting and I wont mention the bathroom. Also, three rooms were condemed by the health securites(that said it all for me. I turned around and went back to the reception and asked for my money back. Two words for this place STAYYYYYYY AWAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is truly a health hassard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family