“A Disaster”

Sea Gem Motel and Apartments
Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Reviewed 10 September 2009

The Sea Gem Motel is squalid, noisy, and smelly. The motel is located to close to the boardwalk--which has numerous bars and heavy drinking. We tried to stay for two nights with our children but left after the first night. The management then added $650.00 to our charges (without our authorization or signature) in addition to the $240.00 we paid for the two nights for not checking out properly. We had already paid the bill and, when we lef,t the room was locked and we dropped the keys in the drop box. It was late in the evening and no one was in the office. We are disputing the charges (a hassle) and are considering our legal options. We hope to discourage the management of the motel from victimizing other patrons.

Whatever you do, do NOT give these people your credit card number. Try the Belvedere in Seaside Park. It's not close to the boardwalk, very quiet, and the management is wonderful.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank amiga21

Reviewed 10 August 2009

I just came back from a fabolous stay at the seagem motel, let me tell u what a clean place..... The room we stayed at was next to the office which was room # 101..... it was a very nice room........The AC was workin so good that we had to turn it off at night......... the hot water in the bathroom seems as it never ran out.... it you requested a microwave u will get it in a matter of secounds...... the tv had many channels...... the pool was cleans and it even had a grill.............. i would come back to this motel again anytime!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachboy333
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This place is HORRIBLE. My friends and I stayed here for a weekend and this is just SOME of the bad things that happened..

1-when we checked in, we were supposed to receive 3 keys to the apartment since its a 3 bedroom. However, they told us that the last family who stayed did not return 2 of the keys, so they only had one. So basically 2 strangers had keys to our place while we were staying there.
2-The key didnt even work! THe door knob was half falling off and we had to climb through the window to get into our own place.
3-My friend and I went to bed and woke up with bites all over us just to realize there were BED BUGS. We ended up staying up all night on the floor of the bathroom.
4-Our lamp wasnt working so my friend unplugged it and got electrocuted. We then tried plugging it into a different outlet and the wire sheered off from being so hot and exploded.
5-Our sink was constantly clogging.
6-When we went to them with all our complaints..they were very uncooperative..they told us to find someone else to sleep with and the only way we could get a refund was if we didnt stay another night....so they could refund us for the night we didnt stay? All they did was change our lock and give us new sheets...but the only way to get rid of bed bugs is to get all new mattresses. We paid for sleeping on the floor on air mattresses because the beds were unsanitary. It was very unprofessional and we should have gotten all our money back for those living conditions....Im looking forward to calling the health department on them.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cga81
Reviewed 6 August 2008

We rented a three bedroom apartment and was so suprised at how clean and friendly the staff was. The pool was great too I am always a little weary of going into hotel pools but it was very clean. I went with me and my husband and your five kids and everyone loved the seagem! It is 1/2 a block away from the boardwalk and afew blocks away from the waterpark. It was just the perfect location. We only took are car out once for dinner. We where able to walk every where else we wanted to go. We are staying at the Sea Gem again next week and everyone can't wait!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2008

As of traveler of seaside resorts up and down the eastern seaboard, I always stay away from Seaside Heights due to the lack of decent hotels. They can be very run down and dirty. I took a chance over 4th of July weekend at the Sea Gem and finally found a nice, friendly hotel 1/2 block from the beach. It was very clean and our double room was a decent size. The bathroom wasn't a tiny closet and actually smelled of bleach (Thank goodness, I'm very germaphobic). The people who work there (Marge, Jake and Kevin) jumped to our every need. When I asked for a mattress pad, I had one within 15 minutes. Very friendly and accomodating staff. One con however, was the loud shouting and nighttime partying of some of the people staying there. Just avoid holiday weekends and you'll have no problem. They also have security and we felt pretty safe. When we were there on a weekday and we had the whole pool to ourselves with no rowdy partyers. They also have apartments to cater to large families.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2008

My husband and I went back to the Sea Gem during the winter to get out of town for a while. We used a coupon for a free stay at the Sea Gem.
When I called, the person said to come down. When we got there, however, the man at the counter seemed as if he would rather not honor the free two-night coupon. The room we got this time was not as nice as the one we had on the 3rd floor last summer. I was thinking that he wasn't going to give us a good room for a free stay.
We only stayed the one night, instead of the two nights that we could have stayed. It wasn't awful, but definitely not as good as summertime and the other room we had.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 17 April 2008

I previously posted a positive review of the Sea Gem but asked tripadvisor to remove it so I could provide this feedback.

I just looked at my credit card bill online and saw an additional night charged to my card from the Sea Gem. I also had 2 unauthorized charges from Ryan's Deli on my card. We never went to this deli but I located it using Google maps and it is right around the corner from the Sea Gem. One of the deli charges occurred the day after we left.

The only businesses in Seaside Heights that I used my credit card were the Sea Germ and the restaurant called Klees which is right across the street from both the motel and the deli.

If someone from the restaraunt stole my credit card number I would imagine they would have charged up a lot more than two trips to a deli. You can draw your own conclusions.

The place was clean and we were happy with our stay until I saw the unauthorized charges.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)