“Unless you are TOTALLY desparate, don't waste your money”
Review of Surfside Motel

Surfside Motel
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Location is the only thing this place has going for it.Stayed with my family for just one night bc we got a good deal on priceline. Door looked like someone tried to bust in. As soon as you open the door, the musty smell almost knocks you over. Cigarette burn holes on the sofa, and actually piles of cigarette ash still on there. Had to cover sofa with sheet we brought and thankfully brought our own bedding. Floors were filthy and if you walked without shoes on, your socks were black. Ended up throwing away a few pairs of socks bc they were disgusting. Didn't even attempt to use the shower.Toilet didn't flush properly.Seriously, can't believe this place is allowed to remain open with such poor conditions. Wasn't told when we booked that their pool was out of commission.Kids brought their swimming suits and were disappointed they couldn't swim. Totally green and unusable. If you are an adult and are desperate for a place to stay, you could take a chance staying here.I would not recommend bringing children because the filth level is off the charts.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank GerryD1234

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and usually drive down to go fishing. It was my birthday and I wanted to relax and not have to worry about my drive back. I booked Surfside Motel for two days. As soon as you get to the door, it looked like someone busted the door down. When you first enter you get hit with a urine/cat smell and as soon as you put your foot down on the carpet, it was wet and turned your feet black! Then I noticed that one of the beds bottom was busted open, as if someone took a blade to it at the bottom. I feared sooooo much that there were bed bugs crawling in there. I had my husband drive me a half an hour away to the nearest target to buy bed sheets because I refused to sleep on that bed. Then I noticed that the air conditioner was to small for the hole it was sitting in. There were so many bugs and spiderwebs between the wall and air conditioner. The worse part was the bathroom....disgusting. The sink was outside the bathroom, in which I freaked out how much germs and feces could have been on that knob. When you looked around, all you saw were bug guts everywhere! The cleaning maid folded all the wet towels we used to wash ourselves the night before and put it on the bed where I had put the new sheets on. At that point I couldn't take it anymore and left. Worse birthday ever because of that nasty hotel!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stefaniav32
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Should be condemened by dept of health. Very dirty rusty faucets falling offf no hot water for showers- bugs in room modly falling apart. Stinks like death maids don't come to clean. Make you take your own garbage out only get 2 towels but you can't shower anyway in old water and rust

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Joann C
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Room 304: the room is about 10x15, their are two twin mattress on the floor (On the FLOOR) with a queen mattress on top (no box springs or head board/frame).1 flat sheet covering the mattress and 2 dirty pillows. One 1990's tv with 1 channel (usa). The furniture was repulsive and clearly 5x used garage sale pickups. This is advertised as the 1 bed queen room. Overall.. Dirty and classless.

Parking: upon check-in the receptionist said their was free parking, 1 per room. I left (with children) for a few hours, upon my return, all of the parking spots were taken.. including my assigned room parking spot. Apparently, their were several parties going on in the hotel and that is why my spot was taken. I spoke with the same receptionist who informed me that the spot was only guaranteed at check in. When I asked for clarification she said all that if I moved my car and lost the spot it was my loss.

Why the parking gripping you ask? Because the only other spots are metered or kiosks for $5 hour.

Even after speaking with the owner about the disgusting room and parking issue, I was not moved to a better room and he did not care about parking issue. So for 2 nights at $140.00, is this worth it? No. It is not.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank njdevil30
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The best thing this motel has going for it, is it's location directly across the street from the Seaside Heights NJ, boardwalk. But even with it's great location, it was overpriced. From the outside it appears to be an average picturesque older Jersey shore motel. Parking is tight and limited, although free. Once we found a good spot, we didn't move the car again because everything is within walking distance. The room however was not as nostalgically appealing, The furniture was not only OLD but shabby. The floor although clean, felt as though it was rotting through to the ground under our first floor room. The bathroom light which worked when we first checked in, went out and would not work even though the bulb was immediately changed. The appliances were not bad, they were clean and worked well, as did the air conditioning. The sheets and bedding although were clean, were worn and had unappealing stains in spots. And yes, as mentioned in other reviews, there were bugs in the shower and on the floor. No bare footing it. It would have been nice if there had been a working ice machine. The only one we saw was padlocked but looked as though it hadn't been turned on in years. The noise and the partying which was around the clock is not an issue, after all this is the Seaside Heights at the Jersey Shore and partying is what it's all about. If you're looking for a modern, well maintained facility, this is NOT the place for you. If you are just looking for a place to sleep after a long day of beach, ocean, boardwalk and partying....then it's perfect.

Room Tip: We were ground floor right beside the pool with a lot of small children and partying noises. The s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I have stayed at many different types of hotels/motels over the years with some costing barely anything, and others costing alot. The Surfside Motel has to be the worst place I have ever stayed. Its location was the only positive thing I can write about since it is right by the boardwalk. There are soooo many reasons why not to stay at this place. They offer free WIFI but it did not work on either my friend's phone nor mine. The dead bolt was not even there anymore. The door itself barely closed. The ceiling tiles looked like they were going to fall off. There was a roach in the tub. The bathroom floor tiles were broken up and we had to be careful how we stepped in there. I had to take a cold shower since there was no hot water at 10am. The refrigerator barely closed. There was no remote control for the TV. When we checked out they did not even ask how our stay was like most other good places. Needless to say, we will never go back again. I hope I have provided enough reasons as to why you should not waste your money on this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank WillR402
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My husband and I brought our daughter here for vacation. Well this is NOT a family friendly motel. While the front desk was "ok" for checking in and any questions we had they were not very observant on the activity going on outside of other guests rooms. First night we were there I was woken up every hour until 5am with a party that was going on beneath us. Second night, a group of people who had a room right by the staircase, sat on the steps for hours. Whenever we would need to go up or down they would sit there until we asked them to move. The language they were using was very ignorant to those around them. My daughter didn't need to hear every curse and derogatory word in the english language. They had two beer bottles fall off the balcony and bust all over the ground. When one bottle broke there happen to be two police officers walking by. All they did was told them to clean it up and left. I will NEVER be back here. Location is the only thing they have going for them. Will definitely be going to a more family friendly motel on our next stay to Seaside Heights.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family