“Hate to do this - Would not recommend staying here...!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Seaside Park
The Belvedere Motel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Seaside Park
East Hanover, New Jersey
“Hate to do this - Would not recommend staying here...!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

I hate doing this but I think people should know how poorly my family was treated at the Belvedere Motel in Seaside Park, NJ. Recently, we stayed at the Belvedere Motel and had a terrible experience which I would like to share with others. The property/rooms were clean, but we were treated like criminals.

FIRST PROBLEM:
I called for a reservation and was asked for a credit card to hold the room. I gave the owner my Amex card but they did not accept Amex so I gave him a Visa Debit/Credit card which we rarely use. I asked the owner, to use the Visa card to hold the room but would give him cash when we checked-out. I could tell he was not happy doing this but he said he would accomodate us. I have stayed at numerous hotels and they never charge you before your stay. They only hold the reservation w/ a credit card. This guy was already strange and was treating us like we have deceived him before.

We arrived on July 4th at 11 am. We stopped by the hotel to pick up the beach badges. He told me I could not enter room until 12 noon. I told him we would be back after 5 pm. I assumed this was better for him since it gave him enough time to clean the room and get it read. I was not in a rush and was definitely not rushing him. I was a perfect customer.

When we came back to unpack @ 5pm he asked for the cash. I did not know we had to pay upon check-in since hotels usually charge you upon check-out. This way all charges are reviewed and paid at check-out. I asked, if I could pay later since I never had a chance to stop at the bank and he said it was fine. The weird thing, he asked me a few more times if I would be coming back to pay him later that night. I told him I would be back to put my kids to bed plus would be there all weekend. Remember, I gave him my credit card which he copied the information for his records.

After the fire works ended approx 9:30 pm, we went back to the room b/c my 2 year old was sleeping and my 7 year old twins were exhausted. We needed to stop at bank and convenience store but we could not sit in the traffic anymore b/c we had to get our kids to bed. We did not anticipate heavy, heavy traffic @ 10:00pm so we went back to the room.

At approx 11 pm the owner banged on the door. I answered the door and the owner was standing there demanding the cash. I told him, I did not have chance to stop at the bank/atm b/c of the traffic and really had to get the kids in bed. I told him, IF HE REALLY NEEDED TO CHARGE ME FOR THE ROOM THAT NIGHT, then he can charge the Visa card. He told me "he had to charge me that night" and made me go to office to give them the card. I have never heard of this before. My family travels 3x's a year plus I travel for work 4x-5x's a year and ALWAYS pay when I check-out.... I never heard of this before but went to the office and gave them my credit card again.

SECOND PROBLEM:
After paying for the room, I did not look at my receipt since I was quoted $150 a night when I called. I looked at my receipt a few days later and noticed the room rate was $160 a night. I did not realize or notice I was charged $10 extra a night. Maybe he made mistake or maybe he slipped it past me. Who knows, but I was overcharged. I did not say anything b/c I did not want to get into confrontation while I was still staying at the hotel. Anyone who bangs on someone's door @ 11 pm for money is desparate loser and did not want a confrontation infront of my children. He had my credit card onfile and if I left, he could charge my card.

I realize $10 a night is not a big difference and the rooms are inexpensive. However, this is not how you treat guests. I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. What bothers me the most, is the fact that he banged on my door @ 11 pm while my kids were sleeping. He treated us like teenagers at the prom. I do not deserve this type of treatment.

I will NEVER recommend this place. I feel bad writing this type of message and usually would never waste my time but other people should know how unprofessional the owner acted. The owner should let his wife operate the office since she was very nice. Good luck and I would recommend "The Windjammer."

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Greg B
Michael S, Owner at The Belvedere Motel, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
We are sorry that you felt like a "Criminal"

When you had stopped by the office at around 10:00 am (Check in is at 2:00 pm) You had asked if you where able to check in.
After you where told that we would be able to get you in at around Noon (2 hours Earlier) You had asked me for the use of Beach Badges.
Also a courtesy that we provide.
You had stated " I would like to pay with cash and that you would prefer NOT to have it on your card!" But, that you would have to go to the ATM to withdraw the cash.

At this point you have Beach Badges and an earlier check in than most!
Upon check in (around Noon) you had still not gone to the ATM to withdraw the money to pay for your room. and told me that when you came back from the beach that you would then secure your room.

When you did get off the beach at around 5:00 pm you again stopped in the office to make me aware that you had still not gone to the ATM to withdraw the cash to secure your room. At that point, I stated that as long as you take care of it TODAY, it would be fine.

So at around 10:00 pm my office manager made me aware that you had NOT come to the office to secure your room. At this point, I felt that my good nature and patience where being taken advantage of.

Then is when I knocked on your door to remind you of your promise to secure your room. you then stated "I'm sorry but, you weren't there when we got back from dinner so I didn't bother coming to the office!" (12 hours after you checked in) I then asked you to go to the office, to secure your room. And no, I was not happy!

Have any of you readers are able to check in at a Hotel/Motel with securing your room?
A credit card number DOES NOT secure payment for your room without a signature!
How many of you have been extended the courtesies of an establishment without any form of payment?
We are a business NOT your buddy that you can say...........I'll pay you later!

As far as the rate that you where charged. Our rates are clearly stated on our website. For the July 4th weekend that cost of your room is $160.00 per night not $150.00.

I think that your review is UNFAIR or I would offer you a free stay. But, because of your review, we would prefer that you would consider, the next time that you stay at a Motel/Hotel how you are checked in and think of us!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

We have stayed at the Belvedere Motel in past years, but had the opportunity to stay one Saturday night in late June and enjoy all the wonderful renovations this motel has gone through. It underwent a total makeover and both the rooms and exterior look fabulous!!. Michael and his wife are always very welcoming and great hosts. We have already reserved for at least one more stay at the motel this summer. Location is perfect, very quiet, close to Island Beach State Park and also one block from Seaside Park beach. There is a very nice little restaurant about 1 1/2 block away from the motel where they serve delicious breakfasts, we recommend it.
I have attached pictures of the motel facade and of our room (#4). It is a simple, super clean, well run motel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
#5 of 7 in Seaside Park
Sunset Motel
Sunset Motel
#6 of 39 in Seaside Heights

Been to The Belvedere Motel? Share your experiences!