“I LOVE THIS MOTEL, I ALWAYS COME BACK EVERY YEAR! (hopefully this weekend coming up).”
Review of Charlroy Motel

Charlroy Motel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Seaside Park
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I always come to Seaside right around the weekend of the 4th of July. About 4 or 5 years ago a friend of mine told me about this motel. Every year, I always come back. I love the location. (As it says on their answering machine), Its the quiet end of the board walk. Its nice and relaxing. The bathrooms were fine. They were clean and had good water pressure. And the bathroom itself wasn't so small you felt cramped.
Although some of the rooms are abit small (snug), they felt cozy and were clean. I don't think the CharlRoy smelled musty at all. As the lady at the front desk had said, some people probably mistook that smell from the ocean air. And yes, I think one stay I had the room had a small area on the carpet that was wet by the door, but it didn't smell bad, and I'm sure they had probably shampooed the carpets. (I had seen the maid doing that once before). Probably why the carpet was wet. People should remember that couples, families, kids, etc.. All sorts or people stay there and they come in the room wet from swimming in the pool or the ocean and get the floor wet. (common sence, your at the beach its gonna happen no matter where you stay).
And finally, as for the prices, in past years yes, I can say the prices were a bit high, (again your at the beach, its not gonna be 50 dollars), but its very convenient and good location so that makes up for it. This year, July 2010, I'd say their prices are not bad at all. They are alot better then some other places. As a matter of fact I just was looking at their website. Its pretty good. You get beach passes, your a couple steps away from getting a good cup of coffee in the morning. (yes, whoever makes the coffee at CharlRoy does a good job and I definitely need my coffee in the a.m.). :) Your right at the boardwalk to go have breakfast. I love this motel and I'm definitely coming back! I'm psyched about July 16, 2010. (That afternoon we should be there)!! My husband likes it too. We are both around 30. Everythings convenient and alot of stuff for us to do.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SabrinaW30

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We went to the Charlroy on a planned mini-vacation this summer. I had stayed at the Charlroy twice in previous years (once in 2001 and in 2003) and had had positive experiences here. NOT on this visit, however. We stayed here for three nights (we were supposed to stay five nights). On the first night, we noticed that the light fixture in our bathroom was loose. We told the young man at the desk (apparently, the owner's son, who was on a power trip--I'll get to that) that the fixture was loose and there was no place to plug in a hairdryer in the bathroom. His response was, "if it's loose, I'll have someone look at it tomorrow." Okay, fine.
That night, there were other guests talking outside of our door after 11PM. My husband kindly asked them if they could keep it down, which they did. They weren't being rowdy--it's just the place is just NOT soundproof! We heard every word of their conversation. I realize this is not the fault of the Charlroy--could happen anywhere, I'll give them that. The second night, while getting ready for bed with our two kids (aged 12 and 11), we noticed that there was water (we hoped it was water) leaking from the bathroom ceiling. We called the front desk--again, the boy who answered seemed annoyed that we were bothering him with this issue. I told him we wanted another room. My husband had to go to the front desk and the boy's mommy had to come out to handle the situation. In her defense, the owner was very nice and acoomodating. She switched our room right away and didn't charge us for the second night. We did appreciate that. The kicker was this: my son told me the hotel clerk (owner's son) made a comment such as, "this is the BARE minimum for a room change" In other words, implying that we were "lucky" they were doing this for us, even though God only knows what was leaking from the bathroom above our room! And why would he say this to a 12 year old?! It was unreal!
The third night we were there, they had to switch our room again because the room we had the second night was already reserved by someone (of course, THAT was the nicest room!) The third night was the grossest, by far. Yes, there was a musty smell in the room--I know, they'll say it's from the beach. We were told that ALL of the hotels at the shore have that problem, but there's a way to treat it. The room was smelly and nasty. That was it. On our fourth day of "vacation" we went to another place that was much nicer, much cleaner, albeit a little more money (it was worth every penny!!)

The women who work at the Charlroy are very nice people. The young man was rude and clearly on a power trip. His attitude was the main reason we wanted to leave the motel (we may have settled for the smelliness if he wasn't so nasty--well, come to think of it, maybe we wouldn't).

This place used to be nicer; not so run-down. For the prices they charged us, they could certainly put a little money into fixing up the place. It's in a GREAT location. The fact that they offer the two beach badges is excellent, too. We didn't have any problems with parking, as I saw others did. The fact that they offered free coffee was cool, but again, it wasn't until after 9AM, and by that time, we were already up and about. I was truly sad to see the Charlroy in such bad shape (well, 2 out of 3 of the rooms I saw were pretty bad!!) It used to be kind of nice. The review wasn't meant to be mean, just honest and to describe our experience.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
9 Thank fuffynutter

Travellers are raving about these Seaside Park hotels

Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Whereas the Caribbean is more my forte, I recently stayed at The Charlroy Motel. Having read prior reviews, I went in "eyes wide open".
I arrived well before check in time and went to te front desk were i was welcomed warmly by Annette. She arranged for my parking permit andbeach badges and also told me we could change in the room acroos from the desk. Now, she certainly didn't need to do this, could have told me to come back at the correct check in, but she went out of her way to be accommodating.( Note: Daily badges cost $8 and metered parking is $1.50 per hour).
We returned from beach later on and completed check in, quick swipe of the credit card and we went. We had room 125, ground level next to the pool. The room was very clean(Thanks Patrice) and was equipped with 2 beds,refrigerator,cable TV and ice cold AC. Yes, the walls are cinder block, but certainly not "jailhouse" appearance. I wonder reading some of the other reviews why folks expect a "brass and marble" suite for $149 a night.
The bathroom was adequate with plenty of hot water and towels. What more could you want? For the chronic complainers, i will note that there was a small crack at the top of the bathtub by the wall, so if cosmetic issues with bathtubs irritate you, ask for another room or better yet, bring a tube of almond color caulk and seal it yourself.
The laminate on the counter was separating(horrors!!) and the lower edge of the mirror had lost a bit of it's backing, but unless you are vertically challenged, should be no problem whatsoever!
The pool was clean,warm and also is a salt water/chlorine generator based system, which provides softer water. The pool is also equipped with a heat pump and a variable speed SVRS pump to comply with The Baker Gramm act regarding suction entrapment. These three pieces of equipment are NOT standard "motel" pool equipment,and are quite expensive, showing a true interest by the owners for their customers comfort and safety. The pool and deck area were also recently renovated,providing a nice area for families to relax by the pool, or have lunch at one of the umbrella covered tables.
I did ask at the desk about the "overflowing toilet". Seems a guest flushed a toothbrush down the toilet, or at least attempted to. Of course an obstruction like that will cause anything else put down the hopper to plug up and overflow. I don't understand how guests can expect the owners to police what is flushed,maybe that is something that guests might want to do themselves?
I walked around the property and found it to be well maintained, in fact, here was a constant fluury of activity of staff members, cleaning rooms,sweeping the outside steps and poicing the parking area. Folks, DO have the courtesy to carry your trash to the SEVERAL nearby trash cans and deposit it, rather than dump it in the lot.
The following morning I inquired about a 6pm check out ($50 extra) but unfortunately it wasn't available as our room was booked for that night. We were graciously allowed to remain parked at the Charlroy after CHECK OUT($1.50 an hour on the meters), we were permitted to keep the badges for 1/2 day(don't expect this if they have a fullhouse, they do need to provide for their incoming guests) and allowed use of the pool and changing facilities.
So do the math folks and you'll see what a value this place is. I saved $22.00 on arrival day(use of parking and badges) and $26.00 on departure day. Deduct that from the room rate of $149.....where else can you get oceanfront accomodations,with a pool for $101???
As for you complainers,I'd really like to visit your homes and see how YOU live!!
Again,many thanks to the fine staff at Charlroy Motel.

1 Thank LoveCGB
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Just completed a 5 day stay with my wife, father-in-law, and niece (and her 2 kids.) We are repeat customers and have always enjoyed our stays. This time we had a special requirement, Following surgery, my wife required portable oxygen during her stay. We arranged for the service but the Charlroy staff could not have been nicer or more accomodating regarding our needs. And when equipment pickup was delayed they were, again, understanding and helpful. Many thanks to Cheryl and Annette.

You can't go wrong at the Charlroy. On the beach, close to everything, comfortable, great staff and rooms made up promptly (and unobtrusively) each day. We will see you soon.

Nazareth, PA
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I had a GREAT time at this hotel. I've stayed here several times and have never had a problem. Not sure what the last reviewer is talking about. I've stayed in 5-star hotels that had problems with the toilets (it happens). The Charlroy is located within walking distance of the beach and boardwalk. Easy to get too from the bridge - not even five minutes into Seaside and you're THERE!! Lady at the front desk is AWESOME. If I remember correctly, her name is Annette. Make sure you ask for HER!! Very knowledgeable about the hotel and the area. Overall you can't go wrong. Enjoy!! I know I do every time I go.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
PA
Reviewed 10 August 2009

This motel (not 5star hotel) was very nice, the people couldn't have been nice, the pool was clean, rooms were nice and spacious, and the location was wonderful.

Jersey
Reviewed 4 August 2009

The worst experience ever....rooms are outdated......dirty bedding.....toliet had to be plunged every time used....over flowed several times.....gross..........

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank shutup45
charlroy, owner at Charlroy Motel, responded to this review, 11 August 2009
I am sorry shutup45 had a bad experience. It took two plumbers to find the toothbrush that had lodged in the toilet. When told about a problem, we will fix it! As for the bedding, it is changed and laundered after every guest. Shutup45 did not lodge any other complaints while a guest.

Cheryl Raley
#7 of 39 in Seaside Heights
Sunrise Motel
Sunrise Motel
#3 of 39 in Seaside Heights

Been to Charlroy Motel? Share your experiences!