“A good place to stay”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
New York City, New York
“A good place to stay”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I recently stayed here for 3 months while on business. My room was clean, reasonably well equipped and frequently serviced. Every member of staff I encountered was friendly, helpful and talkative- I never had a bad experience.

The hotel itself is located on the Harmon Meadow Plaza – which has plenty of restaurants and a nearby Wal-Mart if you wish to stock up on food for a longer stay. The 320 bus to the PABT in midtown Manhattan leaves from outside the hotel fairly frequently. However, during the morning and evening weekday peak, the bus often takes 40 or more minutes to get to Manhattan, compared to less than 20 minutes outside of the weekday peak and on weekends. Admittedly, this is no fault of the hotel itself but worth considering if you are travelling during the peak.

Wifi is available throughout the hotel, but is slow and unreliable which can be rather frustrating. Unfortunately, this is the reason that i've scored the hotel as Very Good rather than Excellent.

Overall though, I enjoyed my stay here. My room really did feel like a "home from home" and the staff made me feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Rooms facing on to Patterson Plank Road (South) do experience a small amount of traffic noise. Pick...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Freedom, NH
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located, within walking distance to the Meadowlands Exposition Center and shopping. Free parking, strong WiFi and comfortable enough room. The breakfast, as others have noted, is sub-par, but at least they have something. The common area is nice.

The problem with this hotel is that it is understaffed and possibly the staff is not trained well enough or selected carefully. My first experience with the hotel was when I called to ask a question before arriving. The attendant sped through what i think was the standard greeting followed by "How may I *not* help you?" I thought I misunderstood and said, wait, what did you say? The guy thought I was a friend calling, not looking closely enough at caller ID. Whoops! That's no big deal, but certainly not professional. When I arrived, there was a person ahead of me in line. They were taken care of then the phone rang. The attendant answered the phone and it became clear that it was another employee asking about the schedule. Even if it were a customer, I should have been helped first, but it amazed me that the attendant would spend several minutes on the phone with a co-worker rather than putting them on hold or calling them back.

Other customer service issues: I had two roommates, one of whom arrived the 2nd day. I asked in the morning for the pullout couch to be made up for her. The guy at the desk made a note of this. When we came back to the room very late at night and very tired, this had NOT been taken care of! My roommate called the front desk and was basically hung up - was told she would call back in 20 minutes. To her credit, the front desk person called back and said she'd get sheets up within an hour but we all wanted to go to bed, so I went down to reception. They only had ONE person on duty that night even though they knew there were MANY check ins scheduled due to a large seminar that began that day at the Expo Ctr. This is the same person who would have to leave the desk, go to the housekeeping room, select the bedding and take it to the room. How could she leave the front desk with all those people waiting to check in? So it wasn't her fault, but management's. I stood in line and finally got what I needed. However, the next day when we came back to the room again late at night, housekeeping had come in to clean the room (I didn't expect any housekeeping while we were there) and for some unknown reason, they TOOK THE SHEETS OFF THE COUCH AND TOOK THEM AWAY! But left the blankets ??? What a hassle.

One other thing: I locked my keycard in the room and had them make me another key. It worked fine. Fortunately I was there when my roommates tried to get in because their key cards no longer worked! Later on one of them went down to get keys that worked, explaining that all three keys needed to be keyed the same. However, when I left to go to my car I discovered that now MY key didn't work! What incompetence!

Despite my problems with service, the front desk people were very nice at least, and the convenient location and comfort of the room outweighed any problems.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The staff is very hospitable and polite. The hotel has prime location: every 20 mins you have bus taking you to New York City, Every 30 Mins you have a bus taking you to Hoboken and Secaucus Station with services running until mid-night. There are number of eateries around the hotel to satisfy every taste bug. Walmart, Sam’s Club, Khols, T.J Maxx, Marshals will take care of your shopping needs. In my opinion, this hotel is definitely Home away from Home

Room Tip: Be friendly to the front desk and they will assist to satisfy your requirement.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Secaucus - New York City Area, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
It is so rewarding to read that you had a such a GREAT stay with us. Thank you for your comments. I'm so pleased to hear that you liked our staff and accomodations. I'm also very happy that you felt that our location met your needs with the surrounding shopping and dining options.

Gardner
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I want to share how wonderful it was to have Brian Sledge the front desk attendant on duty when we arrived at the hotel. We had not ever been to this area before and we were attending a conference that evening, so we asked Brian about how long it would take us to get to the Prudential. Thank God we asked or we would have never arrived on time. The traffic was so heavy and slow. Brian was so accurate in his suggestion to leave at least a half an hour earlier than we would have, to get there. I would have never guessed it would have taken that long to travel that near. Also the next morning when we checked out we asked him about spending the day in New York, he made many helpful suggestions and once again he was right. He saved us time, money and perhaps even a headache on how to do this smoothly in a very busy and chaotic city. Thanks for everything Brian we appreciate your advice and kindness you showed us.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Secaucus - New York City Area, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Monique - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I'm thrilled that Brian provided you with such excellent customer service and that you enjoyed your time in our hotel. I have shared your review with Brian and the rest of our staff.

Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I like the suite with complete kitchen. The bathroom is very clean and the view is nice!
Just very convenient location to NY city. Go to the front of the hotel parking to take the bus. It will drive to straight to The Times Square just in less than 20-25mins.
Free parking and free breakfast are also a plus!!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank AndeeRedBear
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Secaucus - New York City Area, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our hotel's great location, how much you loved our in-room fully equipped kitchens, and the level of cleanliness in your room. We truly enjoyed having you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Miami-Dade County
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed at the Extended Stay at 1 Medowlands Parkway from 9/13/13 to 9/21/13 [off Route3] and could not ask for any more..The place was nice and clean and bus service to NYC was nearby..I will stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Gary K
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Secaucus - New York City Area, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Gary - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a great review. I'm thrilled that you found everything to be all you expected. I am pleased to hear that that comfort and cleanliness of our hotel met your standards.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!
Reviewed 23 September 2013

2 nights we stsyed. But unfortunately I left my briefcase at the hotel lobby, inside of it there include my passport, credit cards, driver license, and cash. About 2 hours later, I realized that I left my briefcase. Hurriedly I called, but Brian well kept it. And he handled all the procedures with sincere, honest, and warm heart. Finally next day I received it back in its original condition thru Fedex. Until I receive it back, he gave me all the tracking information and took kind and detailed care of it. I am really appreciated! How I express my thankful heart to him. He engraved unforgettable impression of Extended Stay America on our family. Thank you again to Brian and your institution. Best regards, J. Lee

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank jyelee
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Secaucus - New York City Area, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm so pleased to hear that Brian was able to quickly locate your belongings and get them back to you. I certainly appreciate all of the nice things you said, and I've shared your comments with Brian as well.