“Business commute to NYC”

Extended Stay America - Secaucus - New York City Area
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Haven't stayed in an Extended Stay America since the bad old days in 2009, but thought I would take a chance, given the rate, the new exterior look and the great commuter location for downtown NYC from Harmon Meadows (bus stops out front nearly every 15 minutes. $3.95 one way to the Port Authority.) New corporate owners pumped money into the chain, apparently. Nice, basic accommodations. Nothing fancy, but pleasant color scheme freshens up the place. Bed was comfortable. Very clean room. Couch pretty cheesy. Refrigerator a bit noisy. Internet speed was a tad slow, but when you first sign-in, they try to get you to pay for an upgrade. (Please don't nickel and dime me.) Front desk help was exceptionally helpful getting checked in and feeling welcome (and no, marketing department, I don't feel "at home". My home is different. I feel like I'm staying in a nice budget hotel that won't give me a backache from the room or a headache from the front desk. In fact, I have to give credit to Liz, front desk and Tom, the assistant manager for greeting and making me feel welcome. Clearly, they paid attention during the customer service training.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cuisineforall

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Saved some money on a vacation with this place. Not worth it. No one at the front desk, you have to call someone via courtesy phone. When they finally pick up, they meander to the desk. This was during check in, check out and another... The other was laundry. They have machines on site, but I elected to use their service. The service lost my laundry. Things happen, I know, but the front desk guy asked me what I expected him to do about it. I told him to make a call and find it. I got it back the next day, was charged full price for the service and not a single "sorry about that" from anyone. So yeah, it's cheap. But be warned, it's worth every penny.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Aranthorn
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Secaucus - New York City Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I apologize for the level of customer service displayed during your stay. I will meet with our entire staff to review our customer service polices and guest protocol to ensure that your experience is not repeated. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel.

If you have any additional comments, please reach out to me directly at, sec@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a better experience in the near future.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The hotel is not new but it is in very good condition and very clean and comfortable. The location is fantastic to visit NEW YORK (bus 320 EXPRESS to Port Authority in NYC in front). We arrived late after a long drive and where greeted by IRIS. She offered BY FAR the MOST FRIENDLY service we had in an hotel in YEARS. She was friendly, looked like she enjoyed her work and was extremely helpful. The manager Elizabeth (the next morning) was very helpful and even helped us find easy parking for our weekly cruise after our stay. Everything was great with plenty of restaurants at walking distance (a big open mall).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Secaucus - New York City Area, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel. I’m so pleased to hear that you found our staff, especially Iris and Elizabeth, to be friendly and helpful during your stay with us. I will be sure to pass your comments on to them. As well, I’m glad that you enjoyed your clean, comfy room and our convenient location. Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Don't expect to be able to cook a meal with the kitchen supplies or utensils provided.
Sofa bed extremely uncomfortable and was missing blankets.
The rooms were clean. Only two chairs in the room. So you need to sit on the sofa bed to eat.
15' from NYC. Bus stop in front of lobby.

Room Tip: The reservation was for 4 people with a queen bed and a sofa bed. We ended up with a king and a sof...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Patricia - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that our location was convenient to your travel needs. Still, I apologize that your fully equipped kitchen and sofa bed did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be useful as we continue to improve our guest experience. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

The Manager of this location (Elizabeth) is a wonderful person !!! (Really friendly). Unfortunatelly, this hotel has not restaurant... But, it is located inside Meadow Plaza where you can find variety of options where to eat.

Room Tip: There is not restaurant here.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rafavas
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Secaucus - New York City Area, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am glad that we provided you with great service while you were here. I know we don't have a restaurant in the hotel, but I'm glad that you found our location to be convenient with all of the food options in Harmon Meadow Plaza.

Again, thanks for your review. We look forward to providing you with another great stay the next time your travels bring you to our area.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Hi everybody!!! It's Singlemamatravelista!

You can add the Extended Stay America to your list of TO DO's!! Here's the top 3 reasons why!

3. Location!!- It's pretty close to NYC without being in the city. It's about a 20 minute bus ride on the 320 from the Tampa Port Authority in NYC for about $4.00 and the bus drops you off/picks up right in front of the hotel. It was relatively safe and quiet. Located on a major intersection so please watch the little ones as you are crossing the road. I always prefer public transportation if possible to get a true feeling and experience of a city and its culture. The hotel is in walking distance to many eateries and a movie theater. Shopping is pretty close also. ( Note: If you are new to NYC, the Port Authority can be somewhat confusing, Be cautious of those who try to help....most are just looking for tips, but you can never be too careful. Ask a registered agent if you get turned around, Once you get the hang of it, Its relatively simple.) Its easy to get back and forth to NYC and buses run all night.

2. Hotel Amenities- The hotel is definitely a home away from home, the downstairs lobby reminds you of a home living room with large screen tv's to entertain during breakfast. There is a huge laundry facility and if you decide that cooking in the room is not for you, many delivery options are available from pizza to chinese. You can also take advantage of the fitness center to stay in shape...

1. Pricing- You get what you pay for... sometimes you get even more. It is not a full service hotel, and you do not get daily room service unless requested, thus the name Extendend Stay! the hotel does have queen studio rooms with pull out couches and a fully equipped kitchen. Great for saving money on food or if you're like me and you just like to cook. BBQ pits are available for grilling in the garden area and there is a light continental breakfast with breads, fruit and cereal included in the room price. ( about $150.00 per night, give or take a few dollars based on season) It's clean, spacious and well worth the cost.
See the pics!!!

Honorable mention: The hotel staff has a mixed bag of courtesy and New York shrewdness...Remember... it's JERRRSSEYYYY!!!!! lol

Room Tip: All rooms have full kitchens.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Singlemamatravelista

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of your stay with us. We really appreciate all the kind words about the cleanliness of our facility and the convenience of our location. It is also great that you truly enjoyed all of the amenities our hotel had to offer and the staff's service, overall.

Again, the staff and I really appreciate you taking the time to write such an in-depth review, and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will come stay with us again the next time you are in the area!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Overall a great choice to visit the New York City area if you are looking for a little cheaper accommodation. A little tricky to drive into the first time, not knowing the area, especially in the dark. Once there tho, if you are just using it as a base to get into Manhattan, your car never has to leave the parking lot. As others have mentioned, the front desk staff is extremely friendly, the breakfast is lacking (and missing the first morning - we were told it was until 930am, when we went down about 915 the only thing there was the packaged muffins) and the bus to the Port Authority station was simple to navigate. One tip - give yourself a little extra time to reach Manhattan - the bus runs every 10-20 minutes depending on the time of day but on our first excursion, the first two buses drove right by us , completely full. Bus took anywhere from 20 minutes to close to 50 if you count the missed buses and traffic. If you are staying multiple nights, keep in mind there is no daily housekeeping until the 7th night, but you can exchange your towels as needed. Plenty of eating choices within walking distance. We were originally reserved for two nights but added a third. It appeared as tho only one of the two elevators was working, as the second one was never running, but it did not affect us. I would like to have seen a recycle bin in the room. The room had a sitting area and adequate kitchen facilities for a few nights should you choose to use them. Unless we decided to spurge for a Manhattan room the next time, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple